Best mod for the GU

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 20:46
ThreadID: 13801 Views:1448 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Went to the Brisbane Caravan and camping show on the weekend. Bought a GU Rear Door Extension bracket from Blackwidow. Fantastic little piece. Took 20 minutes to fit and at long last the little rear door opens fully. Amazing how much more accessable everything is when the door opens a full 90 degreees.

Highly recomended.

Can't understand why Nissan don't allow the door to open fully as standard.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie- Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 20:51

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 20:51
Andrew,
This was talked about a week or so ago on another post.
Could you please tell me what is actually involved in the conversion?
I unbolted the bracket off mine one time and it opened a bit more, but wouldn't goo too far past 90 degrees before the black plastic bit of the door hit onto the side panel near the dummy tail-light. From memory, they are only about $30-, right?
AnswerID: 63318

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 21:12

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 21:12
Price from the show was $20. Blackwidow site shows normal price $29.95..

The new part is a replacement bracket fixed to the vehicle that the plastic arm is conected to. To remove the arm you need to remove the door trim and unbolt the entire arm and assembly from inside the door.

The most difficult part is grinding the pin off the existing bracket so that the plastic arm can be reinstalled.

The new bracket brings the arm back about 15mm, but this allows the door to open a full 90 degrees without anything hitting.

I first saw the bracket on the net a few months ago and asked a couple of retailers about it. TJM quoted me $90 to supply and fit it, while the local ARB store told me there was no such item available.
FollowupID: 324580

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 21:57

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 21:57
Roachie.
Remove the pin, open door fully, let bar come out that the pin goes into, then drill a new hole in taht bar! Cost of mod $0.00 and not even time for 2 beers.
FollowupID: 324592

Reply By: 10 Para (Qld) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 21:34
The tables or drop bench is not to bad either also from black widow i installed both the hinge and the table a couple months ago and find them both great, ARB are now suppling them after a long time thinking about it.
AnswerID: 63326

Sponsored Links