100 series transmission queries

Submitted: Friday, Mar 22, 2019 at 20:49
ThreadID: 138012 Views:2827 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hopefully the knowledge bank can help me.
1. When transmission is in D4 I understand that the o'drive is disabled, but is the transmission locked, or is there still slip through the transmission?
2. When centre diff lock is engaged, the ESC is disabled, but is the traction control also disabled? (think loose sand on beach).
I've recently purchased a Lexus 470 (read 100 series Landcruiser) and I can't find any information in the handbook to answer my queries.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Athol W1 - Friday, Mar 22, 2019 at 21:58

Friday, Mar 22, 2019 at 21:58
DingoBlue
IN answer to your questions
1. In the Toyota vehicles it is usual for the selection of any gear other than D for the transmission to operate AS NORMAL but only shifting up to, and not beyond, the selected gear, ie D4 will operate in 1st to 4th gears as normal including the operation of the torque convertor lock up clutch..

2. As I recall ( has been 8 years since I owned one) the ESC was disabled when the centre diff lock applied, and the TC was disabled when low range was selected.

Traction control and ESC can be disabled by applying pressure to the respective switches and holding for 3 seconds, and this procedure must be repeated with each engine start cycle.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 624571

Sponsored Links