Kangaroo Valley Access

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 24, 2019 at 19:22
ThreadID: 138021 Views:5567 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I’m after advice on the best way ( not necessarily the shortest) to access Kangaroo Vally (near Berry on the NSW south coast) towing a 21ft van and coming from the north. I’ve been told access via Moss Vale and Fitzroy Falls is very steep and windy. Maybe it’s better to come via Shellharbour to Berry the Kangaroo Valley? Any advice would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 24, 2019 at 20:59

Sunday, Mar 24, 2019 at 20:59
There are three ways into Kangaroo Valley. All are steep and windey. It's the degree that varies.

The worst for you would be from Berry. Very steep and narrow. Very sharp, narrow and very steep switchbacks. With a 21ft conventional van I wouldn't touch it.

2nd worst would be from Bowral/Mossvale/Fitzroy Falls. Do-able I would think depending on your skills and confidence.

The best would be from Bomaderry and Cambewarra Mountain. You will have to climb the mountain and then descend into KV, but the road is wider than the other two, arguably less steep than the Mossvale option and the bends not as tight and better graded.

I regularly travel all those routes towing a Kimberley Karavan and am familiar with them. Use engine braking and save your brakes. Use turn-outs to let following traffic past - everyone will appreciate that.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624603

Reply By: duck - Monday, Mar 25, 2019 at 07:49

Monday, Mar 25, 2019 at 07:49
I travel it a lot & tow over & back regularly (based at Huskisson) I agree it is a little better from Bomaderry but it’s marginal. If your coming from the north Hume hwy (Bowral) it will be quicker to come from the west if you’re coming down the coast (princess hwy) it will be longer as you will have to go down to Bomaderry & back up to KV. Hundreds of caravans go east to west or west to east all the time just take it easy & don't over heat the brakes
Don't go from Berry to KV its tight, narrow etc. & not recommended for trucks or caravans.
AnswerID: 624606

Reply By: Member - SNOLLYGHOSSTER - Monday, Mar 25, 2019 at 13:32

Monday, Mar 25, 2019 at 13:32
Thank you Frank P and Duck for your advice. We will use Moss Vale Fitrooy Falls and go nice and slow.
AnswerID: 624615

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 27, 2019 at 15:42

Wednesday, Mar 27, 2019 at 15:42
Just be aware that truck & trailers also use that road From Bomaderry to Sutton Forest
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 624661

Sponsored Links