EOTopo Online.. deep link?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 09:24
ThreadID: 138075 Views:5378 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
The EOTopo Online is a superb resource for trip research (thanks Michelle and Team!)..

Is there any way of deep linking to a specific lat/lng/zoom on the map? Would be so nice to send travelling companions a link to an area on the map as a URL.

I am guessing not.. but just wanted to check.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 10:45

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 10:45
Duncan, you might find this of some interest , app is available on ios and android
https://what3words.com/
AnswerID: 624685

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:03

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:03
Hi Wickets..

Its links to ExplorOz I'm specifically after though... as interesting as What3Words is.

Cheers, Duncan.
FollowupID: 898171

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:33

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:33
Hi Duncan2H,
In actual fact yes the "system" can do that but perhaps not published for your use the way you expect. We can look into that if you can help us understand how/why you would use it but isn't Places really doing that already? David is happy to hear your thoughts for consideration.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624686

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 12:02

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 12:02
Hi Michelle,
There's not always a 'place' at the point/area I'd like to link to, and I'd like to control the zoom level in the URL.

Here's Google's URL with Lat/Lng and Zoom parameterised, this is ideal for me.. Google Maps are woeful for overlanding purposes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-32.1445979,135.5306843,10.88z

I'd like to be able to do that with ExplorOz because the maps are so much better for overland travel purposes.. In a written Trip Plan I like to embed map links. I already embed links to your "places"..

Sample of what I'd like to include in a trip plan.. or an email or an instant chat message, or an SMS..

"Here's the region we'll be exploring, north of Gawler Ranges, South of Kingoonya: InsertLink".

I guess the link I'm looking for is more a macro overview of the area we're targetting with the zoom level and Lat/Lng chosen for maximum relevance.

Being able to navigate directly to a Place with the map open would also be cool..

I hope you understand I'm not being picky or critical, I think you've built a fantastic resource. I really like it.

Cheers, Duncan.
FollowupID: 898172

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 12:39

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 12:39
Thanks for the explanation Duncan, we'll discuss.

BTW - I noticed your link didn't work, so I'll explain how to post a link in the Forum -type all the words up to the bit you want to be linked, then stop typing, press the grey button below the box you are typing in (labelled LINK) - this pops up asking you to type in the text you want to be displayed and asks you to paste the link you want to give) and then continue typing the rest of your forum text.

(The only text that will auto-hyperlink are system auto-links when it detects matching content to other pages on our site - usually to Places (but only when the Place has at least one photo). Hope this helps you and others ;)
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898173

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 13:08

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 13:08
Duncan,

Our mapping system can support this type of syntax generally the x,y & z parameters for our system are defaulted to /x/y/z but we have never fully made this available as our only on-going funding source for the online map deliverable is advertising which we render on the page/pages. It is certainly possible to write a more Google interface but rendering the advertising content is not as simple and again this development would take some (not much but some) time. Like everyone however I dislike advertising but when the shoe is sitting on the cost recovery foot there are times and requirements.

I could build a permalink (deep link) interface and still work out a way to deliver some advertising and need to discuss this with Michelle to see if we can work out how to fund this, personally I think it is a great idea and have always wanted to deliver this.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898174

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 13:16

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 13:16
Good stuff, thanks for the followup. I totally understand the need for revenue.

I've been plugging your app a bit lately, the Points of Interest database is its standout (stellar) feature and I'm keen to see it continue to grow. I'm hopeful that the more "linkable" and consumable it is the more it might help drive adoption and contribution.

Happy to help test if you ever need any input.

With thanks,

FollowupID: 898175

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 14:21

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 14:21
Duncan2H,

Look I decided to have a play with this after your feedback and have implemented something , well I have installed exactly what you asked for and it should solve both the issues of doing it and revenue model. Basically now the system will generate a permalink in the exact same Google syntax you provided and allow you to directly link to the page we already have with the map open.

Thus you should be able to gleam a url from Google and plug it into EOTopo and visa versa - Anyway here see Uluru on EOTopo permalink
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 624692

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 14:28

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 14:28
I have just had a look.

I am lost for words... :) Actually I'm not really.

This is seriously cool and making the parameters the same as the deep link into Google Maps was a masterstroke. The agility you've clearly got in your development process is amazing, I'm impressed. I spend a LOT of time in my working life dealing with maps and places and this is just splendid! :)

I have some other thoughts, I'll email you directly.

Cheers and sincere thanks!

Duncan.

FollowupID: 898177

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 16:52

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 16:52
I've been playing with this too. It is quite Excellent.

I deleted my previous followup because I made an incorrect claim about Google Maps being able to handle both its @ prefix to the coordinates and also EOTopo's # prefix. It does not, so D & M, if you read that and my associated comments, apologies, it was not correct.

Duncan, thanks for your thanks, but they've gone into the ether along with my follow-up :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898181

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 17:26

Friday, Mar 29, 2019 at 17:26
It's interesting how I got to that false claim.

When EOTopo was centered on my home and I put the coordinates with the # prefix into Google Maps, it produced a correctly scaled map also centred on my home with google's @ prefix to the coordinates. Hence my claim.

Later, when I centered EOTopo on another part of the world and fed the coordinates with EOTopo's # prefix into Google Maps, google returned the map centred on my home and a second or two later the # changed to google's @. That is repeatable. Hence the retraction.

One swallow does not a summer make.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898182

Sponsored Links