29 March update from the Birdsville Policeman

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 at 14:24
ThreadID: 138085 Views:5910 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Below is a post on the Birdsville Hotel Facebook page. Including insights about the Simpson and other tracks. I thought it was sufficiently interesting to quote in its entirety.

I hope we get an account from the first group crossing the Simpson this season!

Link to original post

"Hi all, some great information and updates below from our local Policeman Stephan.
Please note that this is local information based on current feedback from surrounding areas and road reports from local shires and government websites will still provide the most current information. Cheers, Ben

After the last update it looked like things were slowly getting back to normal.
Then came along Ex TC Trevor and he has left quite a bit of the wet stuff in Western Queensland.

It is still to early to tell exactly what river totals and effects this rain event will have in this corner of the country but early indications are that all the major river catchments have received large amounts of rainfall.

The Diamantina River at Birdsville is sitting around 2m at the moment but is expected to rise again.
Diamantina Lakes is currently at 6.36m, its peak last month was 7.68 and in 2018 it peaked at 6.92.
So the early indication is that we will have a significant increase in Birdsville.

A month ago the Georgina and Cooper catchments whilst receiving healthy river flows did not impact the area as much as they will now with significant rainfall into both catchments.

ROAD CONDITIONS @29/3/2019

Birdsville to the North.

Birdsville to Bedourie is now closed with river rises at Eyre Creek Bedourie, King Creek Cluny and Eyre Creek at Glengyle.
Bedourie to Windorah is now closed.
There is large volumes of water travelling down from north of these areas, which will impact these roads.

Birdsville to the East

The Birdsville Developmental Road (Birdsville-Windorah) is closed due to significant flooding at Windorah. (Cooper Creek)
The Birdsville Developmental Road itself will be assessed over the next few days as information suggests that this road may not be effected by rain and may be an option for people travelling from Innamincka. To be confirmed.

Birdsville to the West

The Simpson Desert National Park Road (Big Red Road) was re-opened after rainfall this week.
The Munga-Thirri National Park is open. 8 vehicles left Birdsville on 27/3/2019 to cross the Simpson Desert, when they arrive at Mt dare they will provide an up to date progress report on the Simpson desert. BOM reports indicate 5-20mm of rain between Birdsville and Poeppels Cnr. Cannot wait to hear about their journey.

Large amounts of rainfall have fallen throughout the Georgina Catchment early predictions are that some of this water will make its way into the Simpson Desert and may affect the QAA line.
This will be monitored.

The Birdsville Inside Track and the Warburton Crossing will be closed for a long period of time as they are greatly affected by the flood waters.

Birdsville to the South

The Birdsville track remains closed flood waters are still moving through the area, the road will be assessed once levels have settled.
The Arrabury Road remains open.
The Cordillo Downs Road is closed.
Walkers Crossing will remain closed until assessments can be made of the Birdsville Track.

The situation is being monitored and it will be likely that access to Birdsville will not be possible for another short period of time.
As always people need to be reminded to check local road condition reports online as they travel out west.
As we all know conditions can change quickly.

Stephan Pursell"
Back Expand Un-Read 11 Moderator

Reply By: Buzzo - Sunday, Mar 31, 2019 at 02:00

Sunday, Mar 31, 2019 at 02:00
Thank you. I was supposed to be heading out there next week.

Still very interested in how long the recent rains will have an affect on the area.

Cheers
AnswerID: 624720

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 31, 2019 at 11:58

Sunday, Mar 31, 2019 at 11:58
Without knowing your itinerary, Buzzo, I'd suggest you've probably got at least a fortnight before the recent flood events start to impact the Birdsville area & eastern access to Simpson Desert.

Water in both Eyre Ck & the Diamantina appears to be roughly at Glengyle & Monkira Stations respectively, at the moment.

Eyre Ck will no doubt slow down once it hits the vast flood out country south of Lake Machattie, but there appears to be some water in the Mulligan which may preceed the northern water, and perhaps cause some grief on QAA Line & up near Camp 20, for any Madigan adventurers(myself included). The Diamantina may close the road, to east of Birdsville, to Windorah, but not for the length of time that the previous flood did.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 898207

Sponsored Links