Lake Eyre at Easter

Submitted: Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 10:52
ThreadID: 138093 Views:4551 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We have a 10 day break coming up and heading to Lake Eyre from Melbourne.
Not much time to do it properly but work and family dictate this at the moment.
Would also like to take in the painted Desert as well on the way back.
Rough itinerary is:
Melbourne to Hallet SA 1 night
Marree (or Farina Station) 2 nights
Halligan Bay 2 nights
Painted desert via Ooodnadatta (Arckaringa Station) 2 nights
Coober Pedy 1 night
Burra 1 night
Melbourne.
We have traveled Port Augusta, Clare, Burra, Renmark etc a number of times and spent time at Coober Pedy on a previous trip so not exploring these parts this trip.
Is it worth 2 nights at Farina Station, Halligan Bay and Arckaringa Station or are extra nights better spent at other locations?
We don't mind doing a couple of long days driving as it is just Kim and myself, no kids this trip.
We have a Prado and Ultimate camper.
Thoughts appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 12:34

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 12:34
If you plan to arrive say late afternoon at Farina, it’s certainly worth allowing another day to look around there at a relaxed pace, though some might prefer only to allow a half day there and move on afterwards....you’ll easily loose hours there looking around at the ruins and cemetery etc.
AnswerID: 624742

Follow Up By: phantom - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 13:02

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 13:02
Thanks Rumpig,
Will probably arrive early to mid afternoon so might have to just play it be ear as to 1 or 2 nights.
FollowupID: 898229

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 10:40

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 10:40
Hi phantom, when we have done this trip in the past, we have travelled Melbourne to Morgan for the first night. We have camped at the Morgan Conservation Reserve, on the banks of the Murray. You are supposed to book your camp site in advance these days. There are several routes you can take to get to Morgan, via Mildura & Renmark, or via Tailem Bend.

If you choose Mildura, you will need to be mindful of the quarantine station just over the SA/Vic border. You will need to dispose of any fresh fruit & veg, & honey prior to arriving at the quarantine station or you will be fined.

If you choose Tailem Bend, whilst there is no quarantine station, just honesty bins, there are mobile quarantine vehicles that may set up road blocks from time to time.
From Morgan it is an easy drive to Farina Station for the next day.

After Farina Station, your suggested route would still work. I am not sure what you are expecting to see at Halligans Bay, it is just a bare camp ground. With the lake behind over a sand hill. If you arrive at Halligans Bay in the late afternoon, to view the sunset, camp overnight and view the lake at sunrise next morning, IMHO, one night would be enough.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 898269

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 13:34

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 13:34
One night at each of Halligan's Bay and Arkaringa should be sufficient, but plan on some walks at the Painted Desert where you should be at sunset and some walks on the way into Halligan Bay where you should be at sunrise.
I would add one night at Muloorina Station north of Marree to visit Level Post Bay and half a day to explore Marree.
The Oodnadatta Track has more things to see along the way than you could ever hope to achieve in a week.
The mound springs, Plane Henge, the Old Peake ruins, (could take a couple of days easily), Algebuckinna Bridge and & Berrisford (both good night stops) come to mind.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 624744

Follow Up By: phantom - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 13:41

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 13:41
G'day PnM,
I know the time is tight but unfortunately that is all we have and the main aim is to see water in the lake if possible so all our plans are geared around this.
The Painted Desert will be a bonus.
I'm hoping to retire next year so we can do it properly then
FollowupID: 898232

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 13:54

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 13:54
Then definitely visit Level Post Bay as well as Halligan Bay, but check where the water is first, http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html
If neither, Muloorina is the better of the 2 spots for a night, IMO.

And go for a flight over the lake from William Creek.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 898236

Follow Up By: phantom - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 14:07

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 14:07
Thanks Peter,
Your input is much appreciated and we'll most likely do a night at both AND definitely the flight out of William Creek
FollowupID: 898237

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 16:45

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 at 16:45
one night at Arckaringa / painted desert arriving arvo set up camp at station head out for a look at painted desert & another look in morning ( golden hour ) is what we did , its nice but unless you are going to hike all over it taking photographs one night would be enough IMO We did lake Eyre few years ago when in flood & really enjoyed that experience !!
cheers & enjoy
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 624747

Reply By: Member - coutaboat - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 17:17

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 17:17
Thanks for asking your question Phantom, we are intending to go to Lake Eyre ourselves during the week before Easter (to miss the crowds) and you have secured the exact sort of information I was looking for. We have seen it dry twice so this will be something special. Allan.
AnswerID: 624764

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 20:15

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2019 at 20:15
Interesting to member's comments. We are heading that way after the Easter MySwag meet at Rawnsley Park. We were thinking of doing one of Reg Dodd's Arabunna Aboriginal Tours. Has anyone done one of these? It was recommended by Jo from the Drover's Run when we were just passing through in 2016.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624768

Sponsored Links