Spor Gen 3 - Tracking Upgrade

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 10:49
ThreadID: 138122 Views:3042 Replies:2 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently added a Spot Gen 3 to the stable of devices I carry in the Landcruiser.

Unfortunately the website, user guide and manual are not providing me with the assistance I need.

How do you / where do you go to upgrade the tracking feature to the extreme tracking packing (2 1/2 min intervals)? I can find the extra sms message upgrade but not the tracking.

Cheers

Anthony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 12:15

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 12:15
Hello

Its a service upgrade for which you pay extra money - so if you cant find a way to initiate the service by logging in to your "My Account" page then I assume you will have to ring/email them and get it added to your existing plan....

Contact Page (24/7)

SPOT Trace Services

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 624833

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 14:19

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 14:19
I did see it as an option when I was setting it up, but can’t find it now.

They provide heaps of info about it - but no way to actually purchase it.

I am sure that it is an online purchase, because you will need to update the purchase before using it.

I was hoping to purchase before Monday as my son is going to take it on his Outdoor Education Expidition Assessment.

Will try calling early Monday Morning.

Cheers

Anthony

FollowupID: 898369

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 14:32

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 14:32
Sorry - was not of much help

The contact page does however say "Our team is available 24/7." - so why not ring them today?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898370

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 18:22

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 18:22
I rang that number and was given options, redirected, put on hold, offered to purchase an upgraded unit, pushed a heap of buttons on my phone and then a recorded message asking to call back in office hours. LOL

After a lot of searching, I was able to find a link (2 small orange words) on one of their pages of advertising and have gotten it I sorted.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 898376

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 18:28

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 18:28
I have included the instructions I found after hours of searching - it may help others

It really was quite simple in the end, well once you know how to do it. Why are webpages so hard to get information from.....

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 624843

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 18:32

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 18:32
Good stuff

Lot of poorly designed webpages out there.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898377

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 21:24

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 21:24
Thanks for posting this, Anthony, as I have yet to arc up my Spot.

Just a comment on the tracking, some years back a member, think it was Kiwi Angler, about to do the CSR, put the link up to his early model Spot so we could follow his progress. Was most interesting, especially when coupled with then Google Earth. To see his breadcrumbs popping up through some of the ranges, Durba Springs etc was almost like being there!

Just wondering, at 2.5 minutes, whether the screen might get a bit cluttered if you were traversing some rough country at a steady speed? Suppose you’ll find out once you survey what your son gets up too? Recall that Kiwi’s timing interval may have 10 mins?

Thanks again,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 898381

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 22:39

Sunday, Apr 07, 2019 at 22:39
Hi Bob

How’s that museum going by the way, haven’t had any updates for a while?

The 2.5 minute breadcrumb is for my son’s Outdoor Education Expidition. He is walking and kayaking through the Walpole-Nornalup National Park. It is to compare his manual plot (I’ve taught him paper and compass) with where he actually trekked.

Agree it will get cluttered, but he will need almost turn by turn to prove his accuracy. 10 mins is more than accurate enough for desert travel.

I will have to get in touch with KiwiAngler for his plot of the CSR. I am heading off in a few weeks - weather dependent. Will get my locals to update before I go. This trip is solo solo. Me, myself and I. Which is why I got the Spot so the nagivator knows I’m ok - hate for her to prematurely cash my super and life insurance in.

I’ve never used a sat tracker before. I do use EOTrackMe for blacktop stuff or where I get a mobile signal, but I though I would give this a go to see what they are like. I will also have the HF, sat phones and PLB’s on board - just in case.

Setup of the spot was easy as - it was only when I tried to purchase the extreme tracking that I found the hurdles.

I might even make my tracking public so people can keep an eye on me.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 898382

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 10:12

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 10:12
How does the quicker reporting rate affect battery life?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 898402

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 10:47

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 10:47
I personally would use a GPS if all you want is a track record, lifetime free and more accurate....though could be banned in this instance given its a navigation exercise..

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898404

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 16:39

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 16:39
HBK - not sure about battery rate, in either 2.5 or 10 minute mode as it is brand new. I have only just bought it to do the CSR and the kidult is doing the field testing for me of the reporting side of things. So far it is coming through beautifully. It is coming up on the EOtrackMe as ACD1 Spot Device

Greg - agree with the GPS for track files, far more accurate and no subscription costs. I have only purchased the spot because I'm doing the CSR solo and I want to see what the one-way reporting is like on these things. I have previously resisted the Spot as a primary PLB due to the subscription costs and the reliance on third party reporting. I must say though, our tests before the kidult went away showed that the I'm OK and Custom message took <1.5 minutes from activation to receival to the mobile phone. I dont know about the SOS message though.

I have the HF as my primary means of communicating back home just to chat (Radio Telephone) - the Sat Phones if I need good reliable comms (one fitted to the vehicle the other in a Grab Bag) and the 2 PLBs if it all turns south on me (again one in the vehicle the other in the Grab Bag). The Spot is really just to augment all the others.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 898409

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 19:05

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2019 at 19:05
Hi Anthony

Providing things have not changed with SPOT, my 3 year old SPOT 3 has a standard update rate of every 5 minutes, which is changed for free in the settings, and does not cost any more and for driving, the extra charge for the 2.5 minute update would not be worth it.

Fair enough if you are bushwalking and want a reliable position update, then yes the 2.5 minute might be justified.

Either way, they are great to let family and friends know where you are this great land of ours.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 898410

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2019 at 00:21

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2019 at 00:21
Hi Stephen

As mentioned, the only reason for the Extreme Tracking update was for the kidult to try it out for his Expedition. I would be more than happy with the 5 minute tracking. As you would know - any travel through the type of country I'm heading to is more than enough. the 10 minute mode would more than likely be enough.

Interesting to watch the almost live refresh of him crossing the Frankland River - was pretty cool to watch though.

At the moment we are really only playing with it - I've always been happy with the Sat Phone, HF and PLB's. But after reading previous posts I thought id have a bit of a look.

Jury will be out until after the CSR though.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 898417

Sponsored Links