Adelaide to Purnululu national park

Submitted: Monday, Apr 15, 2019 at 21:18
ThreadID: 138167 Views:3029 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone. I have taken employment at a camping site in the purnululu national park in the west Kimberley’s. I’m driving there in my Toyota rav 4. I need to be there on the 13 th May and leaving Adelaide on the 6th May.
Any advice on where to stop and how to make it a good journey. Stopovers etc..
Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Regards.
Sid
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Monday, Apr 15, 2019 at 22:49

Monday, Apr 15, 2019 at 22:49
Hi Sid

You have around a 2700km Drive to Purnulu via Alice Springs, Tanami Rd to Halls Creek and then to Purnulu. So 400-500km/day on average. I don’t think you will have a lot of time to go exploring much off the main route. Perhaps a day or so in the West MacDonnel Ranges provided that the Tanami road is in reasonable condition and you can maintain an average speed of around 80km/hr. Tanami road conditions will have the biggest effect on your journey time and on your remote road preparedness. Fuel, water, comms, spares, tyres etc. Suggest you call the local police stations and get the latest info prior to travel. Also advise them of your expected departure and arrival dates if you are not carrying an EPIRB of some type.

You have about 1800km of good bitumen and ~900km of dirt. So in theory the journey is easily doable in 6 days. However don’t underestimate the risks and possible delays of the dirt sector. It’s a long drive and if only one driver potentially very tiring. Also driving between dusk and sunup adds the risk of collision with stock and wildlife.

Have a safe trip and enjoy Purnulu. It is one of Australia’s unique topographic features.
Cheers John
AnswerID: 624973

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 15:54

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 15:54
G'day, 760 k's from Yuendmu to Halls Creek via Tanami, not sure of your range in the Rav4, but probably need a couple of jerry cans. Also Tanami can be bloody rough. If it was me in a Rav4, I wouldn't risk it and stay on the bitumen and go the long way via Katherine. Enjoy your new job.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 624992

Follow Up By: Zippo - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:39

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:39
Maybe shave some of the kms and via Top Springs?
FollowupID: 898577

Reply By: Sid M - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 15:58

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 15:58
Thanks heaps. I’m going to park my car at the bungle bungle caravan park and work staff will pick me up to go to the camp site. I’m planning to go via Alice, tenant creek, Katherine and Kununurra
Sid
AnswerID: 624993

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 22:18

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 22:18
Wise move going via the black top ... you don't save much time going via tanami & its rough as halls crk end . Good luck w travels
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 898563

Follow Up By: RobynR4 - Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 15:26

Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 15:26
Ditto to Boab above.

Hubby and I have said "Yep, we've done the Tanami"...ie. we don't need to do it again.
It was ok til the WA border and then the road was horrendous near a mine (if I recall correctly) and then there were 3 dips that sent us crunching and we came to grief...
Long story re repairs in Fitzroy Crossing!

I'd read of the way the road gets rough at that point and it still took us by surprise. We had a good dual range 4WD with extra suspension and TLC and lots of experience...

Good move to do the tar!

:)

FollowupID: 898665

Sponsored Links