Lindy Chamberlain

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 19:14
ThreadID: 138193 Views:4715 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Now that a dingo from Frazer Is. has actually gone inside a tent to clutch a 14 month child and drag the baby outside before his father rescued him.

Should not Lindy Chamberlain be exonerated because all the time she kept repeating a dingo took my baby, but no-one believed her.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 20:05

Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 20:05
I think you will find she was - to the tune of approx $1.5 million.

Her original conviction was quashed and after numerous coronial inquests, the official cause of death was found that baby Azaria died as a result of being attacked and taken by a dingo.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 625072

Follow Up By: OBJ - Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 21:22

Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 21:22
some time afterwards they found a child's matinee jacket at the foot of Uluru which, when forensically tested showed the toothmark penetrations to be those from a dog. That went to court and Lindy was then exonerated from the charges and rfeleased.

She did receive a pittance from the NT government as compensation.$1.5 mill would be pretty much it. But there is still a story to be told but whether Lindy ever chooses to tell it will be her decision.

Whilst it is generally assumed to have been a dingo, there is also a matter going around referred to in a book that I currently cannot locate written by a tourist coach driver who, some years later took a group to Uluru. He had always been on good terms with the locals, and on his return asked them what they knew .. and they told him on the night, a kangaroo dog (bigger and stronger than a dingo) brought the baby into camp. He (the local) said that there would be "hell to pay over this" and they disposed of the baby.

I have searched high and low for the book again but cannot locate it, but it was told in great detail in the book. The author lived in Pretty Beach on the NSW Central Coast. I have no idea if he is still alive.

Lindy Chamberlain used to live nor far from where I live. Terribly sad what she had to endure at the hands of a government who just wanted a conviction without properly dealing with the matter at hand.

Falconio??? We probably will never know.
FollowupID: 898668

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 05:53

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 05:53
OBJ the fellow you are referring to was Bert Bolton, he was a very close friend of my fathers. Bert passed in Sydney only recently aged 95
Whilst he used to conduct outback tours he was also a very experienced bushman and a friend of Len Beadell who together spent some time retracing the footsteps of many explorers including Earnest Giles.
He has told me the story about the dingoe and Azaria Chamberlain and the coverup by NT government and it was published in one of his books
In hindsight his version makes perfect sense .

https://books.google.com.au/books/about/Stories_of_the_Outback.html?id=dvz4SAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y
FollowupID: 898671

Follow Up By: OBJ - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 08:57

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 08:57
Thank you Alby ..I owe you one (or more). Now to track down the book. I managed to get it for a read from our local library. Will chase it up.
Cheers
John
FollowupID: 898675

Follow Up By: OBJ - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:43

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:43
The book is entitled "On the Outback Tracks: Stories From an Outback Legend" (Bert Bolton). I got a copy from Amazon. The Chamberlain item is there.
Cheers.
OBJ
FollowupID: 898679

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 10:38

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 10:38
Some of you might remember a film back in the 70’s on ABC of Rolf Harris going around Australia, Bert Bolton took him to make that film and it was Rolf who suggested to Bert to write his books as he had so many stories he told around the campfires.
The picture on the front of the book is a portrait that Rolf painted of Bert.
Like many, Bert was in disbelief of the sexual allegations made about Rolf having known him for so long.
FollowupID: 898682

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 23:37

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 23:37
Hey AlbyNSW funny yesterday talked to my mate his dad was mates with Len too.
FollowupID: 898702

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 10:48

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 10:48
No amount of money will ever erase the trauma that Lindy was forced to endure.
Take care,safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 898719

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 00:53

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 00:53
As to whether it proves it I would say it just lends weight to it.

As to no-one believing her, that is not true. The original Coroners verdict was basically a DIngo killed and took the baby but there was human intervention in the disposal of it.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/125653678
AnswerID: 625076

Reply By: Merilyn H - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 07:17

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 07:17
Have police actually released the official version of events? Without this, we are jumping to conclusions, this is the same mistake that led to the wrongful conviction of the Chamberlains. It can work both ways.

In regard to Lindy's story, she has written a book.
AnswerID: 625078

Follow Up By: OBJ - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:05

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:05
She has written a book and I seem to recall that a movie was made from it, featuring Merryl Streep. Book was entitled "Through My Eyes".

When interviewed on the release of the book she admitted that there was much information that she had to leave out. This was particularly in regards to the police investigation and the motives of a couple of the investigators (and possible political interference).

Thankfully the lady is free and is somewhat at peace and living her life quietly.

OBJ
FollowupID: 898676

Follow Up By: OBJ - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:09

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:09
Correction and apology ..

I believe that the movie came from a book written by John Bryson called "Evil Angels", not Lindy's autobiography "Through My Eyes".

Apologies.

OBJ
FollowupID: 898678

Reply By: swampy - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 10:39

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 10:39
Hi
The media say the dingo entered the camper possible but not likely.
The baby could have walked or crawled outa the camper then the Dingo may have noticed the baby .
I don`t think we will every here the full story not at least for some time . Combine this with the medias inventiveness and ya get the idea .

Just hope the baby recovers well.
AnswerID: 625080

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 11:15

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 11:15
The baby ( I thought was a toddler) may have had a dirty nappy and the dingo
smelt it.
Dingoes are very cunning and when they learn no fear of humans they become very cheeky.
What makes me very angry is that the press go into a frenzy and just about all the reports are different.
The first report was that it was a campervan, next report it was a campertrailer!
If you're going to go to places like that ,with known risks , with very small children then more supervision is required. Glad the child survived .
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 898720

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 15:59

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 15:59
Sadly I camped at Running Waters a few years ago and passed a young couple heading the other way.

I later worked out they had a small child with them as there was a fresh nappy in which a dingo was eating the contents of, I think that they equate young ones with food when this happens.

Why they didn't elect to put the nappy in a sealed bag and take it out with them, it was disgusting and I spent some time cleaning up after them as it was right next to the water that live stock would be drinking from.
FollowupID: 898733

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 13:36

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 13:36
Lindy is the 'guest' on 'Anh's Brush With Fame' this Wednesday night 8pm ABC TV.
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 625084

Reply By: OutBack Wanderer - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 22:47

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 22:47
Thank you for every bodies input, I learnt a bit more tonight

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 625139

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 23:41

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 23:41
I read somthing yrs ago from memory there was apparently an attack some time before Azaria an aboriginal don't remember the age, I don't think it was mentioned back the due to ignoance or whtever one would call it. Might do some searching.
AnswerID: 625140

Sponsored Links