CD players

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1382 Views:1622 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My cassette/radio has had the dick & I am looking at buying a cd palyer to fit in my cruiser. The question is, how well do these work if driving on corregated roads. Does the vibrations cause the player to skip?? Rather find out now than after I spend the $$$$
Cheers
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: winaje - Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00
Hi, I have a good quality Kenwood system (KDC-MP7108), and find that it does not skip at all on fairly fast corrugations. I cannot speak for super heavy corrugations, but it doesn't skip at about 30 km/h over sharp speed humps either, which is where I would expect it to do so.. Hope this helps, Bill Church
AnswerID: 4522

Reply By: Mike - Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00

I've had a VDO 10 stacker for a couple of years and am very happy with it. It will skip bur the bumps need to be fairly severe. On most corrugations it's fine, within reason. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 4531

Reply By: Mark - Sunday, Jun 30, 2002 at 00:00

Rojac, I have a Sony head unit ans 10 stacker. Mine from memory has never jumped, even while 4wdriving

Cheers.
AnswerID: 4533

Reply By: Member - Sam - Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00
Rob, I have a Pioneer tape/radio/cd stacker in my hilux, and even though i got he truck airborne on along Cooloola (hit a washout too fast) and all the other bumps along the beach, the cd player never skipped. So I can certainly recommend the Pioneer stuff. cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 4543

Follow Up By: Tony - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00
Sam, I want to replace my radio/cassette with a radio/cassette/CD unit but my local store doesn't know of any. Problems of living in a small town. Could you let me know the model of your Pioneer combined unit, size (DIN or double DIN?) and approx cost? Thanks muchly.
FollowupID: 1947

Follow Up By: Member - Sam - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00
Tony, I have the KEH4950. Its a single DIN head unit. The stacker (P650)is a 6 disk stacker that is mounted behind the rear seat up against the back of the cab (just incase the cab floods for some reason). Also had a couple of 6" x 9" (TSA6975) speakers fitted into the doors. Cost me $1000 all up including installation. Some might say a lot of money. But I am not one to skimp on quality and I firmly believe and can certainly testify that the Pioneer stuff is quality. Also from what I can gather, it seems my stuff has all been superceeded(I have had it for 2 years). Check out www.pioneeraus.com.au if you want to see what is currently available. However, I dont think all their products are on the web site from memory. The work was done by Cronulla Car Sound at Kirrawee. Took them a morning to install it all. Cheers, Sam.
FollowupID: 1949

Reply By: Dave - Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00

I have a clarion 6 stacker, (~$500) ---cheap--- and it works a treat i have been pver serious terrain and it has never skipped, the reception on the radio is also fantastic, can't understand why anyone would need to spend 1k+ for a car stereo.
AnswerID: 4549

Reply By: Savvas - Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00

rojac00, I have a Holden Monterey with the standard Eurovox and 6 CD stacker mounted in the back, just over the RH wheel arch. It never skips. I think you will find that a lot of the current brand named units will be fine in general use. However like everything, the more severe the service that it is in, the less it is going to last. Now unless you are doing lots and lots of corrugations then I wouldn't worry too much. Just go with one of the brands the fellas have mentioned here and you should be right for quite a while.
AnswerID: 4553

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00
We have just bought (last month) our second Kenwood stacker so now have experience running 2 different Kenwood models in 2 different 4WDs (Troopy and 80 series). We swear by the Kenwood as we spent 2 yrs in the Troopy and took over 90 cds that never skipped. We travelled the Gibb River Road etc no trouble and this trip the new model performed beautifully over the Anne Beadell, the Simpson etc. We found a great place to put the stacker in the 80 was in the console box. It keeps it out of the dust and out of sight. Easy to change and room to store 2 cases (48 cds). Before we put the stacker into the 80, we did last years trip (Gunbarrel, Tanami, Kimberly etc) with the standard Toyota GXL single cd player - its was very poor and couldn't handle a single bump and that was a real shame because the only tape we had was nursery rhymes.... 9weeks of "one man went to mow a meadow" is enough to drive anyone insane. The stackers are spring loaded which helps.
AnswerID: 4620

Sponsored Links