Accommodation in Darwin and Karumba

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 12:40
ThreadID: 13822 Views:1877 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are leaving on our 6 month around Australia trip in 12 sleeps now and have been looking at accom in Darwin for us and our camper trailer.
The closest CP to the city that I can get any info on is Shady Glen CP. Most of the other CPs (Big 4 etc) are at least 20 ks out of town and as we'll be there a week or so we don't particularly want to run up those extra ks every day.
Have any of you stayed at Shady Glen? What is it like?
The other 2 CPs I've heard about but can't find any info on are Fanny Bay and Lee Point. Can any travellers give me any info on either of these please?

Is Karumba Point Sunset Park the place to stay when in that part of the world?
Thanks MAL1
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 13:14

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 13:14
stayed at shady glen this time last year it is rigth on the main drag into the city so it is close to bus stops I just had an unpowered spot but it was ok - typical caravan park realy. cant remember how much so it must have been around the going rate
AnswerID: 63417

Reply By: horrace - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 13:22

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 13:22
Mals, The lee point park is about 5km from Leanyer, it is really quite a nice spot. Casurina shops are about 7km, and buffalo creek fishing is a walk.
I would stay there(but i live here!!)

Rob
AnswerID: 63421

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 18:09

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 18:09
MAL1
For details on CPs check out web site www.geocities.com/flourpower.geo/parks.htm
Hope this helps.
Jim-Bob
AnswerID: 63468

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 19:01

Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 19:01
Hidden Valley is a good spot. Very close to the "freeway" Tiger Brennan Drive heading into Darwin CBD. They have en suite setups for a dollar or 2 more than the normal sites.Good pub up the road but don't take the wife there on a Sunday afternoon unles she is broadminded.

Malak caravan Park and the one next door, KGB or something like that, (were part of the new development after Cyclone Tracey and used to house the re-builders) are littered with permanent vans, many in poor condition. The Big 4, Palms Village ,just up the road from TK's? service station which is next to the Big tackle shop was a bit expensive. The park at Howard springs was a good spot but a little far from town for daily visits.

I think there is a new park on the corner of the Stuart Highway near Palmerston too??

Lee point didn't want to know us with a camper trailer. And we didn't look like homeless people.

HAving said all that I would rather be in the biggest dump in Darwin than have to work. Enjoy your trip
AnswerID: 63477

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 11:39

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 11:39
Apart from the Lee Point Resort, I am not aware of any park in Fannie Bay or East Point, which is what you may be thinking of. Lee Point is actually further from the CBD than Shady Glen (10 km from the CBD or 15 minutes by car, tops). I certainly would not stay at the Malak park which has had vandalism problems recently.

It doesn't take long to get any where here. Most major roads are 70 -80 kph. I would not call Tiger Brennan Dr a "Freeway when it only has one lane each way and most numptys drive 10 - 20 Ks under the 100 kph limit.

Wizard
Darwin NT
AnswerID: 63568

Reply By: Member - The MALS (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 14:14

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 14:14
Thanks for your replies - will probably stick with Shady Glen.
Only 11 sleeps now!!
The MALS
AnswerID: 63591

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 19:43

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 19:43
The Mals
I travelled that route last year and stayed at the Sunset Point C.P. while I was in Karumba and I would highly reccomend it--a lot of shady sites under the coconut trees,walking distance to beach and pub which serves an excellent meal.Last Sept. it cost us $17 per day unpowered.While in Darwin we stayed at Lee Point C.P.which Iwould also reccomend--it is a large park with 2 swimming pools and only about 15 mins. to town and even less to Casuarina shopping center.You will find most of the other parks are near main roads and a bit noisy .Hope this info. will help.
AnswerID: 63636

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 19:45

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 19:45
The Mals
I travelled that route last year and stayed at the Sunset Point C.P. while I was in Karumba and I would highly reccomend it--a lot of shady sites under the coconut trees,walking distance to beach and pub which serves an excellent meal.Last Sept. it cost us $17 per day unpowered.While in Darwin we stayed at Lee Point C.P.which Iwould also reccomend--it is a large park with 2 swimming pools and only about 15 mins. to town and even less to Casuarina shopping center.You will find most of the other parks are near main roads and a bit noisy .Hope this info. will help.
AnswerID: 63637

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 19:55

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 19:55
The MALS
Travelled that way last year and stayed at Suset Point c.p. in Karumba and can highly reccomend it.There is plenty of shady sitesunder the coconut trees and it is near the beach and pub which serves an excellent meal.Last Sept. it cost us $17 per day for an unpowered site.In darwin we stayed at Lee Point C.P. which I also can reccomend.It is a large park with 2 pools and about 15 mins. to town.You will find that most of the other parks are near main roads and are a bit noisy.Hope this info. helps--I'll be up there myself again this year.
AnswerID: 63640

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 19:56

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 19:56
The MALS
Travelled that way last year and stayed at Suset Point c.p. in Karumba and can highly reccomend it.There is plenty of shady sitesunder the coconut trees and it is near the beach and pub which serves an excellent meal.Last Sept. it cost us $17 per day for an unpowered site.In darwin we stayed at Lee Point C.P. which I also can reccomend.It is a large park with 2 pools and about 15 mins. to town.You will find that most of the other parks are near main roads and are a bit noisy.Hope this info. helps--I'll be up there myself again this year.
AnswerID: 63641

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 20:12

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 20:12
Sorry for the repeat replys but had a bit of trouble logging on.
AnswerID: 63644

Follow Up By: Member - The MALS (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 17:50

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 17:50
Thanks Sunseeker, Sounds good. Lee Point has good recommendations so will give it a try. Hope to see you around the ridges. Our Prado is towing a camper trailer and our name is on the back tyre cover
Cheers
The MALS
FollowupID: 325064

Sponsored Links