Dalhousie Springs Dust

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 27, 2019 at 22:35
ThreadID: 138231 Views:2892 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone advise of the potential dust levels at Dalhousie Springs Campground.
Last time we were there it was damp and dust free. Has anyone had dust issues while tenting it during dry periods?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 27, 2019 at 22:58

Saturday, Apr 27, 2019 at 22:58
The soil around Dalhousie appears to be somewhat clay based, and as such shouldn’t become too dusty. With the low vehicle access speeds, there wouldn’t be too much generated by the many vehicles that visit there.

If you’re worried about the dust for medical reasons, then spread a tarp, groundsheet or shade cloth under/around your tent. Or only stay at Dalhousie for one night max.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625197

Reply By: Michael M34 - Saturday, Apr 27, 2019 at 23:38

Saturday, Apr 27, 2019 at 23:38
Thanks Bob,
Last time it appeared to be the usual clay/sand mix but with rain last trip dust was the last thing on our mind. Dalhousie crowds are growing year by year so fingers crossed drivers will respect other campers.

Cheers
AnswerID: 625198

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 09:35

Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 09:35
A group of us were at Dalhousie in latter part of Sept '18, and while dusty in the car park, didn't seem too bad. We only stopped for feed & a swim, and went onto Mt Dare. I'd suggest that you camp as far to the eastern end of camping area, which would avoid worst of any vehicle movement. Remember that the winds are predominantly SE through much of the season.

We reluctantly camped there a few years ago, and due to a lack of room, were settled in the section up near the amenities. No dust that year either, but numerous mozzies & lack of a fire made for a less desirable camp.

We just don't plan to camp there, even 3 O'Clock Ck is a better camp.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 898807

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Saturday, Apr 27, 2019 at 23:50

Saturday, Apr 27, 2019 at 23:50
We were there last July in the school holidays and it was really very busy and very dusty when someone drove by. To keep the dust down you had to do less than walking pace - most people didn't realise just how slow you had to go so dusted everyone.

The eastern side of the camping ground seemed better as there is more vegetation between the sites and, at least in some spots, you can get away from the traffic (and thus dust) more.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 625199

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 11:14

Sunday, Apr 28, 2019 at 11:14
I was there this week and it didn't seem overly dusty but numbers were down due to the Birdsville end of the desert being advertised as closed. There were still a few cars coming in from Birdsville though. The flies were pretty bad, but not as bad as the biblical swarms at Purni Bore.
AnswerID: 625205

Reply By: Cruisevessel - Thursday, May 02, 2019 at 13:47

Thursday, May 02, 2019 at 13:47
I was there on the 22nd April. It was busy, windy and the dust was real bad. So bad we chose to keep travelling to Mt Dare to camp.
And yes the flies were out of control too
AnswerID: 625297

Sponsored Links