Trip to Cape York 2020

Submitted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 at 16:47
ThreadID: 138261 Views:3510 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, just looking for interest in a trip to the tip sometime in 2020, any one interested?
Nick & Jane Causebrook

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, May 04, 2019 at 03:08

Saturday, May 04, 2019 at 03:08
Heaps of people will be making plans for such a trip. I have added a facebook url for you. Has some good info and will probably put you in touch with like minded people..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/433490193454744/
AnswerID: 625344

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 04, 2019 at 09:03

Saturday, May 04, 2019 at 09:03
Hi Nick & Jane

It is an easy trip to do solo. It may look remote on a map, but it is the very opposite, with the longest time before seeing an other vehicle around 10 minutes.

Don’t plan during school holidays, it will be just crazy. Here are a few pointers that may be of help for you.......

Don’t carry extra fuel, it’s a waste of weight and space, with regular fuel stops all through the Cape.

Drop tyre pressures and drive to the conditions, which will vary from very long sections of bitumen, good dirt roads to sections of very good corrugations.

Read as much as you can, as what I might like to see, may not appeal to you.

Be very careful and Croc wise when in the Cape.

The best local and most reliable information is from the Croc Tent....they are locals and they live there all year round and are not just a Back Packer with their pre set replies from management (I am now referring to Punsand Bay)

At the top, there are a number of camping options, from free camping to caravan park camping.

You will hear lots of people rave about a Punsand Bay, but it is not my cut of tea......where they pack people in like sardines and you are a long way from the other major places to visit. We preferred around Loyalty Beach where you can camp where you like and your closest neighbors are the trees providing you shade.

If you plan on doing the 5 beaches run, travelling solo, then a set of Maxtrax or other recovery boards are a must.

If you want to view the Aboriginal rock art at Somerset Beach make sure you watch the tides very closely.

If you have a snorkel, buy a number of snorkel covers and take cleaning and recoiling kit with you, as it will be a good idea to clean and replace it on a daily bases.

The Cape is a fantastic place to visit, just know what you are in for and you will have a ball.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625349

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 04, 2019 at 09:18

Saturday, May 04, 2019 at 09:18
Agree totally with Stephen. We did The Cape last year and stayed at Punsand Bay, nice, but very busy. Would stay at Loyalty Beach next time, similar facilities, but far less people. Croc Tent an absolute must. Lots of roadworks happening, plan is to have the Peninsular Developement Road sealed all the way to Weipa by 2022. If you can, don’t be in a rush, lots to see and enjoy.

Macca.

Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 898975

Reply By: Member - Nick & Jane C (QLD) - Saturday, May 04, 2019 at 11:43

Saturday, May 04, 2019 at 11:43
Thanks for the help, WE retired in 2016 so have no rush about us, we are busier now than when we worked so need to get this one out of my system. Thanks again
Nick
Nick & Jane Causebrook

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 625351

Sponsored Links