2001 Jayco Finch shock absorbers

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2019 at 07:20
ThreadID: 138279 Views:4154 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.I have a 2001 Jayco Finch outback. I have recently replaced the springs and noticed the mounting brackets for the shock absorber although mine doesn't have shockies. The van has been in our family for ten years and they haven't been removed. So the question I have is we're shockies optional on these models or has a previous owner removed them. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Erad - Monday, May 06, 2019 at 07:48

Monday, May 06, 2019 at 07:48
I have a 1999 model (bought 2000) Jayco poptop van, and it had no shock absorbers when I bought it. I asked about buying some and fitting them myself, but the salesman said they weren't necessary. I didn't buy any, and the van now has well over 150000 km on it. it does bounce at times on the highway in places (the road surface has uneven finish and it develops a resonance causing a kangaroo type bouncing action which we can feel in the car as well. If I slow down a bit, that normally stops the problem. I have never had the van lurching around sideways, or trying to steer the car because the van has a specially made shorter drawbar and thus the ball load is more than normal, and there is less leverage on the car.

I think shock absorbers may be of help at times, but thusfar I have not really needed them.
AnswerID: 625382

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, May 06, 2019 at 08:29

Monday, May 06, 2019 at 08:29
A longer drawbar creates less leverage on the vehicle and a longer one also has less effect on steering the vehicle.
The Kangaroo hopping sensation is almost certainly because there is no dampening of the mass of the van on it's suspension over undulated country. That effect will stop by itself as spring and mass resonance diminish naturally, you slowing may be just coincidental with what physics are in play at that time.
You don't want to find one day you need shocks, by accident.
FollowupID: 899040

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, May 06, 2019 at 10:43

Monday, May 06, 2019 at 10:43
A shortened drawbar length only exacerbates sway and makes reversing more difficult.

All vans should have shock absorbers fitted as standard - for exactly the same reason as cars and trucks do.
In fact, vans have a higher requirement for shock absorbers, because of their body height, which also exacerbates sway.

But the greatest single factor that creates van sway is simply the amount of overhang behind the axle or axles - and where the weight is positioned in the van.

Well-designed vans and trailers do not have excessive overhang, and they do not have their axles positioned centrally, they have them positioned at least 50mm, and more often, 100mm behind the centreline of the main body section.

Good-handling vans also do not have any heavy items mounted or stowed behind the axles.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 899045

Reply By: nickb - Monday, May 06, 2019 at 21:35

Monday, May 06, 2019 at 21:35
My 2005 Jayco Dove has the mounting points but never had shocks fitted.
AnswerID: 625407

Sponsored Links