Landcruiser roof rack

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 07:55
ThreadID: 138312 Views:7820 Replies:10 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I have a mate who has just bought himself a "new" cruiser.
200 series 2015.

He is new to 4x4 and I'm wondering if the forum can help with the following information.

What weight can the rear step take, one person, two people. Thinking of when he is packing the rack with that question.

What is the maximum roof carrying capacity of his car?

How do people with this model car access their roof rack?

I have a Troopy with duel wheel carrier and climb up top, not sure if everyone does so though.

Is this how he will have to access this cars roof rack? He is around 6.1 tall

What racks have the forum members used on this vehicle and their view on how well it has worked for them.

Thanks

Lyndon

PS. On a side note, Mick O, if your reading this, can you please send me your contact details re our previous discussion.
Cheers
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 08:20

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 08:20
G'day Lyndon,
Cant directly answer your questions but I bought a really lightweight ladder at a caravan accesories supplier for checking nest boxes on our property. Its telescopic & really packs light & small.
My friend USED to climb up on his spare to access the roof rack but slipped off in wet weather & shattered his leg quite badly so maybe bear that in mind.
Cheers Stu.
AnswerID: 625486

Reply By: Athol W1 - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 08:34

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 08:34
Lyndon
Before your mate spends his hard earned on a roof rack it may be advisable to check ALL the weights that are involved.

I note that he has the spare wheel moved from under the rear to on the rear face, is this so that there can be a larger fuel tank fitted under the rear, and if so then the FULL weight of that tank has to be taken into consideration, and also the weight of that spare wheel carrier.

As a past owner of a 200TTD Landcruiser I am aware of how easily the vehicle can be over loaded. With nothing more than a set of drawers with recovery gear and picnic essentials, a 40litre Engle fridge, a Yamaha 2000 generator, and NO passengers my vehicle was over weight when measured on the weigh bridge on the road to the East Darwin wharfs, so care must be exercised.

I presume that the vehicle photographed is the vehicle in question, and if so then there are a number of other issues that your mate should also be looking at in relation to the ADR's, that will attract the attention from the constabulary, if not in the NT then certainly in the more southern and easterly states. These being the visibility and locations of the rear lights and registration plate.

As far as the weight capacity of the rear bumper bar/step that will support 2 persons as a static load, but I would not like to rely on that in a dynamic situation.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 625487

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 09:09

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 09:09
Hi Athol

He's a territory lad, can't imagine him heading south of the boarder.
I can see what you mean about the lights. I haven't stood directly behind the vehicle myself, so not sure how that looks.
Weights, i's the NT, Big Brother is on his way from down south but thankfully has yet to arrive.....

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 899156

Follow Up By: Blown4by - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 17:03

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 17:03
And the LHR red reflector too. Rear lights and number plate are subject to geometric visibility requirements as well, not just the ability to be seen from directly behind the vehicle. The repeater lamp (when fitted) to the LHR to replicate the OEM lamp blocked by the spare wheel must be symmetrical as well if he is interested in complying with the ADR's. This means what you have on one side of the vehicle must be the same in height, width, geometrical visibility, etc as the other side. i.e. What you have on the RHR must be replicated on the LHR.
The Company that fitted that spare wheel carrier needs a good kick up the date letting it go out like that.
FollowupID: 899162

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 19:56

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 19:56
Hasn't that 'Cruiser got narrow LED tailights/indicators mounted in the bumper? - thus meeting the rear lighting requirements?

I can't imagine any company that fits rear mount wheel carriers, sending out a vehicle with lights and indicators covered up.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 899165

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 19:59

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 19:59
They did a pretty good job of covering up the number plate!
FollowupID: 899166

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 20:07

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 20:07
I don't recall number plate relocation being part of too many rear mount wheel carrier setups, they seem to leave that one to the owner.

When all's said and done, a caravan covers the number plate even better than a spare wheel!

I haven't seen any legal requirement whereby you need to move your vehicles rear number plate to the rear of your van or trailer, when it's attached!

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 899168

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 08:38

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 08:38
That is true Ron, but the caravan also has a registration plate, so can be traced by police etc in the event of an incident. That does not excuse the installer from not relocating the number plate. With regard to the LHR lights, my guess is the photo was taken at an angle that does not show the bottom of the replacement rear bar, and that there is also a LHR light assembly in the bar.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899174

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 09:04

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 09:04
He fact is the installer left the vehicle unroadworthy, this is an extract from the NT website:

The number plates must be affixed to your vehicle so that the characters are in an upright position, parallel to the vehicle's axles.

The characters on the number plate must be visible from a distance of 20 metres at any point within an arc of:

15 degrees (from the surface of the number plate) above and 45 degrees to either side of a vehicle that is less than 4.5 tonne gross vehicle mass
or 45 degrees (from the surface of the number plate) above and to either side of a vehicle that is more than 4.5 tonne gross vehicle mass.
You can have your plates replaced or remade if your plates are damaged, lost or stolen.

It is an offence to obscure any character/s of a number plate including any of the following:

frames placed around number plates
protective covers on number plates
tow bars/balls
bicycle racks
bull bars
loads incorrectly carried on the vehicle.
FollowupID: 899175

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 09:11

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 09:11
The ADR's require that

1/ All lights be fitted symmetrically, with the exception being reversing lights and rego plate lights,

2/ Blinkers must be clearly visible from 80deg outboard to 45deg inboard and 10deg above and below , at all angles throughout that arc,

3/ Registration plate must be clearly visible at all angles between 45deg to each side and 45deg above.

Failure to comply with the ADR's can result in not only action from the Constabulary, but also the denial of an insurance claim if this failure can be shown to have contributed to the incident.

As far as the weights are concerned the Constabulary are really of a minor concern, as the worst that they can do is issue a fine and may be a direction to remove the offending loadings. The real issue is that the Insurance companies can easily and legally deny any claim where the vehicle can be shown to be over loaded, or loaded in a manner that was contrary to the vehicle manufacturers recommendations, or loaded in a manner that they consider contributed to the incident or was unsafe.

Most insurance companies would not even consider denying a small claim, say up to about $25000.00 IN TOTAL, that is all damage to all vehicles, property and persons, as they budget that to be about the cost of defending their action in a court of law, but much over that and they will be looking very closely and considering their options.

It's your choice.

Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 899176

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 11:41

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 11:41
Of course, if a number plate is relocated, it has to be LIT UP, as well!

That adds extra cost and hassles, running wiring to the number plate - which must be able to be twisted when the wheel carrier is swung, and which must be protected from damage as much as possible.

Not easy when you have to pull the wheel off the carrier, on an occasional basis - thus meaning the number plate re-positioning has to not only accommodate the wheel removal, but meet the registration requirements as well.

I have the same problem with a bike carrier, but haven't figured out the best arrangement yet for number plate re-positioning, particularly when the bike carrier is not a permanent fixture.

The problem is, once again, a total lack of conformity between States.
In W.A., it has only been officially illegal since 2014 to cover up your number plate via a bike rack or spare wheel carrier.

But the other States require a small "bike rack" numberplate to be purchased and fitted to your bike rack (with no requirement to have it lit! - figure that one out?)

W.A. has no requirement to buy or fit the small bike rack numberplates - but you can't hide your numberplate - or make up a facsimile plate, as that's illegal, too.
This doesn't seem to stop any number of people making up homemade numberplates to stick on their bike rack here in W.A.

But then, I've never heard of anyone being pulled up for an obstructed numberplate in W.A. - but I guess it has happened.

The authorities have 1000's of traffic cameras (virtually one on every major intersection), plate-recognition cameras in every cop car, and they rely on peoples security cameras as much as anything, to identify fleeing felons and to ID their vehicles - so number plate visibility and identification is not the problem it might have been, many years ago.

I can remember visiting the MRD of W.A. offices many years ago, not long after they'd installed the first red-light cameras.

On the wall of the office was a huge, blown-up red-light camera photo - of a traytop Ford F-350, pulling a big tandem trailer, all loaded up with builders equipment.

The light at the intersection against the F-350 was red - and the F-350 and trailer were pictured, screeching through the intersection, with all brakes locked up, and smoke billowing everywhere - and the trailer was blocking the number plate of the F-350, and the trailer numberplate was hidden under some overhanging builders gear! LOL

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 899177

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 11:49

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 11:49
Ron, the number plate light on the Kaymar Rear Wheel carrier is wired to the lighting circuit, and has a plug just behind the spare wheel. This can easily be unplugged when removing the spare wheel. It is a well designed system. The number plate bracket & light are held in place by the nuts securing the wheel to the carrier.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899178

Follow Up By: Blown4by - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 22:13

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 22:13
Ron N: Sorry to disagree with you mate but a couple of points you've made need correction.
It has always been an offence in WA to obscure any part of the number plates, not just since 2014. The law doesn't consider costs and hassles. It is only concerned about safety. For $26.85 in WA you can purchase an 'auxiliary plate' which replicates the characters on the vehicles plates and is available specifically for this purpose. Auxilliary WA Plates Rest assured, plenty of vehicles in WA get pulled up and fined for having a number plate obscured or damaged/faded to the extent that they are no longer clearly legible. This has been given an increased emphasis since the patrol cars with ANPR cameras have been introduced.
"Hasn't that 'Cruiser got narrow LED tailights/indicators mounted in the bumper? - thus meeting the rear lighting requirements?" Yes the Cruiser has el cheapo small thin LED repeater lamps mounted on the bumper. Assuming the lamps are fitted to both sides, (I cannot see the LHR repeater lamp), it still does not comply on two counts. Firstly those LED lamps do not incorporate a red reflector. Secondly the LHR repeater does not meet the ADR13 requirement that the lamp complies with the stated angles of geometric visibility; namely that the lamp must be visible from 5 degrees above. The wheel mounted above the lamp obscures the visibility from view at that angle.
FollowupID: 899191

Reply By: GarryR - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 08:39

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 08:39
my son in law fitted a alloy arb roof rack to his new 200 series, as uses a wheel step to aid him loading the rack. It folds down flat and it adjustable in height. I think he purchased it for BCF and was not that expensive. It just slides over the top of the tyre, and the step has 3 adjustable heights from memory.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625488

Follow Up By: Member - peter g28 - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 17:12

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 17:12
Yep, those wheel straps are great...I use one to help load my roof rack from the side.
FollowupID: 899186

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 08:43

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 08:43
200 series Cruiser, 2016.
1 jerry, 1 spare (alloy) wheel & tyre, 1 shovel, 1 pair of MaxTracks, 1 high lift jack, 1,000km of bitumen and 300km of good gravel towing a 23ft van from NEW delivery of EVERYTHING.
The main leg is broken.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

AnswerID: 625489

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 09:04

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 09:04
Thanks Peter

My mate has noted that Rhino have some bad reviews. Appreciate your input

Lyndon

FollowupID: 899155

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 22:15

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 22:15
Lyndon
Rhino also make a rack that has a bone type mount that goes from the A piller all the way to the back and well secured. Asked the owner how much $1700, dont know if thats fitted but at that price l'd hope so. Was a very solid looking rack.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 899172

Reply By: DaveO*ST-R - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 08:48

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 08:48
Hi Lyndon.

I have factory roof rails on my LC200. Attached to that are roof bars and in turn a Rhino alloy "basket", so the whole setup is a tad higher than say a flat rack etc.. In general, I have no trouble accessing items in the basket, either putting them in or taking them out - I say in general, because there is the odd time things are at a bit of a stretch. In reality, I have been the only one person to stand on the rear step to access items at the back of the basket - I cannot recall 2 people being on there at the same time. It has no issues with my 100kg weight and I think it would safely hold a lot more - It is very sturdy. I do not have a rear wheel carrier, so I cannot help with that

For everything else including strapping things down etc, I either just stand on the sidestep/s or, more so for the rear section of the rack, I carefully stand on either side rear wheel - with care. I'm only 5'10", so for someone 6'1", it would be just that bit easier. You just have to be careful getting up but more importantly, stepping back down.

With my setup, weight limits up top are limited. No way would I stand up there, even if I had a way of getting up thgere !! If this helps, I found a comment in a post on the LCOOL site - "200 kg roof load limit on an '09 200 series. I'd be surprised if there's any difference amongst any of the variants."

If your mate has not joined already, the LCOOL site/forum is your answer to all things 200 series.

Cheers,

Dave
AnswerID: 625490

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 09:31

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 09:31
Hi Lyndon,

I too have a Troopy and access the roof rack from a ladder attached to the back door. To access the whole rack we need to climb up on top. Just pack most-used stuff to the rear.
I did once see a vehicle with roof rack that had a ladder under the rack that slid out to the rear and swung down to the ground. Cool. But I cannot find such a thing on the net. Maybe it was imported.

There are specialty roof rack ladders that fold in halves but still bulky to store.
This telescopic ladder is used by some caravan owners.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 625491

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 10:36

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 10:36
Hi Lyndon,

It’s a bit off topic, but before he worries about weights, he needs to address the visibility of his real number plate.

I am not a policeman, but what I can see is that by the spare wheel almost completely obscuring the real number plate, he has an illegal setup and is asking to be booked by the police.

Also where the wheel is, it also looks like you are not going to see the LHS real blinker or brake lights.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625493

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 14:11

Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 14:11
It's a good thing he lives in a remote town then :-)
But I do agree, it is pretty covered up.

FollowupID: 899160

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 09:00

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 09:00
Hi Lyndon,

This is my setup, Kaymar replacement bar with twin wheel carriers. Note number plate relocated, lights in rear bar. ARB Roof rack. I believe the roof weight loading for the 200 series LC is 180 kgs. In order for me to access the top of the rack, I have a Rhino Rack folding ladder that hooks to the top bar of the roof rack.

Macca.

Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625501

Follow Up By: Blown4by - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 22:32

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 22:32
Hi McLaren3030: Don't mean to be a smart -rse mate, but technically your red reflectors on the bumper do not comply with ADR13/00 as they are supposed to be located in width, no more than 400mm from the outside edge of the vehicle.
FollowupID: 899192

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, May 13, 2019 at 09:16

Monday, May 13, 2019 at 09:16
Yes Blown4by, this was the photo taken by the installer at time of installation, and yes they did not comply. Since the photo was taken, both reflectors have “fallen” off. I have since placed red/white stripe reflective tape along each end of the bar above the LED lights in order to meet the requirement.

Macca.

Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899194

Follow Up By: Blown4by - Monday, May 13, 2019 at 12:08

Monday, May 13, 2019 at 12:08
Yeah mate those stick on reflectors aren't very durable for long in any situation due to them falling off or getting knocked off. I won't 'nit pick' any further by commenting on the illegality or having white reflectorised tape or white reflectors at the rear of a vehicle. Nor will I mention any reflectorised tape or, for example, heavy goods vehicle rear marker plates (the red & yellow ones) are supposed to point upwards and inwards like an arrow head which is called 'chevron pattern'. So the left one is correct but the right hand side one is not. With that tape being 'single handed' you cannot correct the situation by flipping it 180 degrees because it will still be angled the same way.
FollowupID: 899198

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, May 13, 2019 at 12:59

Monday, May 13, 2019 at 12:59
Thanks for your advice Blown4by.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899201

Follow Up By: Michael T14 - Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 18:34

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 18:34
The roof capacity is 200 kg. Below is for 2018 200 series. On my GX with the Kaymar wheel carriers the rear reflectors are visible under the tyres.
FollowupID: 899227

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 09:02

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 09:02
Well, here it is for the NT. Probably much the same elsewhere.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 625502

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 10:56

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 10:56
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Being a tall guy I think he should be able to access most of the rack via the back step and with the assistance of one of those wheel steps mentioned.

I think his rear lights are visible. The number plate, mmm, not so sure. As said, good thing he is in the NT and not down south with the compliance Nazis.

Now he just has to choose a brand. I'd go ARB. He wanted to as well. Until he was in Darwin and rang saying he wanted to buy a rack. "I'll ring you back with a price" was the answer from ARB Darwin. He's still waiting............
That reminds me, they are calling me about something as well from the other month.................

Ahh Darwin, where service comes with a big price tag but little else.

NT =
Not today
Not tomorrow
Not Tuesday
Not Thursday
and definitely not before 10!

Cheers

Lyndon

AnswerID: 625508

Follow Up By: Member - peter g28 - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 17:21

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 17:21
Ahh Darwin, where service comes with a big price tag but little else.

NT =
Not today
Not tomorrow
Not Tuesday
Not Thursday
and definitely not before 10!

..the compliance police will be heading north along the Stuart as we speak to teach the NT government a lesson in how to raise revenue...
It will not be too long before the NT will be having Fishing, boat rego and boating licences...plus rego for boat trailers etc.
So your mate would be advised to get some changes done for the vision of the rego place..
FollowupID: 899187

Sponsored Links