Toll for Cape Leveque Road?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 09:11
ThreadID: 138361 Views:4761 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
A sealed road with tolls, and perhaps traffic jams?
A two-edged sword? Improve access for communities and maybe open the floodgates to the wilderness paradise. It is a difficult option. I'm just glad that we were fortunate to visit Kooljaman while it was still unblemished.

ABC News story here.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Erad - Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 09:43

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 09:43
I think that part of the charm of that end of the world is its isolation. When we visited, the road was being graded in places, and in other places it was fairly rough, but you knew that you were isolated for sure. Pristine wilderness. We would go back there in a flash, but not when a multi million dollar hotel complex, or whatever will follow, gets built there. Paradise for sure. I bet the locals up there will welcome the upgraded road, but not the influx which follows.
AnswerID: 625657

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 10:03

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 10:03
As someone who read travellers tales for years before I was able to follow in their path I often think I was born a few decades too late.

I finally got to the Gibb River Road in 2016 and was staggered by the number of people.

I am returning to the CSR in July and have been told the traffic has more than doubled since I was last there in 2008.

I think we can be sure that will never get an upgrade,
FollowupID: 899319

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 08:24

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 08:24
Sounds like the sooner we have electric vehicles as our normal transport the better. That will limit the number of people getting in to spoil those places.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 899382

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 12:13

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 12:13
Over the years I have heard of many iconic dirt tracks to magic spots being destined for bitumising .... but not one of these has ever eventuated. So I'm not holding my breath ... the other issue is the "toll" idea but that's poor marketing in my opinion...but an "access permit" might work.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625660

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 20:18

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 20:18
Yes . would have to agree , it was nice to visit b4 the traffic jams .
they have certainly stuffed the GGR IMO :(((
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 625665

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 10:37

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 10:37
Allan, A lot of tracks appear to be overcrowded these days, I once loved travelling the Simpson Desert, but certainly not on the French Line. I would use the Rig Rd and the WAA Line and up the K1 Line. If Warburton Crossing was open, I'd use that, but these days I stay away from the Simpson and search out less used tracks so that I can feel the isolation. I've found some interesting ones but I don't tell anyone about those.

Cheers and thanks for your post about Battery Storage.............Jeff
AnswerID: 625668

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 15:18

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 15:18
Hi Jeff,
Well, 4WD sales continue so I guess they all have to drive somewhere. lol
Alas, for us, the Simpson is the most convenient path to the Western Deserts but we also avoid the French Line and our choice is the Warburton Crossing. However that is so often closed so Birdsville is becoming very familiar.
The bitumen creeps closer to Innamincka each year too, however once we get west of the Stuart Highway the traffic thins a bit.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 899336

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 21:44

Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 21:44
The sealing of the Cape Leveque Road is not for tourists, but for all season access for those who live there, for medical needs, and for those who transport supplies to them.

As already said, even unsealed adventure routes are getting somewhat crowded. The result of an increasing population.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625708

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 22:27

Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 22:27
Yes MH, that's what I said..... "Improve access for communities"......

But I'm sure there will be no Border Protection against tourists. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 899356

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 22:32

Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 22:32
Yes Allan, my comment was more to other posts than yours.

Tourists do bring an income to those in the Peninsula.

Would a toll, or a permit as Michelle has suggested limit overcrowding? Probably not.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899357

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 14:36

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 14:36
Been there twice and of course it's beautiful. Got to do some body surfing one morning before doing the Giant Tides Tour at Cygnet Bay Pearl Farm. $50/dble /night at Kooljaman in 2019 for unpowered site. Hope everything including all the BBQ's work unlike in 2013. Or Gambanan in 2010 with no hot water in the showers. You pay your $$ and expect 100% of the facilities to function. But they never give a discount do they.
As for the toll, and lets call it that rather than some euphemism. If there's an upgrade on the Hume Hwy we all get to drive it for free.............W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625756

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, May 31, 2019 at 19:52

Friday, May 31, 2019 at 19:52
No, it won't be called a toll, it will be couched in some more acceptable word format, such as "Aboriginal Lands Access Fee".

Double-dipping is alive and well in this country. I thought we paid 38c a litre in fuel taxes (plus GST) to get improved roads everywhere, at no extra cost.

Toll roads are not allowed in W.A., by law - and thank God for that.
How long that law stays in place is anyones guess - but if any politician tries to introduce toll roads in W.A., I reckon there'd be riots on the steps of Parliament House on Harvest Tce.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 899519

Sponsored Links