Yilgarn Water - Video

Hi there,

I have made a video from the easter break in the Yilgarn area.
I hope you enjoy it.

For more detail such as coordinates and track files please see my blog:
Blog on Yilgarn Water

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, May 24, 2019 at 20:09

Friday, May 24, 2019 at 20:09
Equinox - Re the "overflow tank" at Kurrajong - the small tank is called a silt trap, and is located in front of the main tank.

The idea is, the inrushing water is slowed up in the silt trap, and it then drops a large percentage of the silt and debris it is carrying into the trap, before it overflows into the main tank.

A silt trap is a reasonably effective, if crude, method, of stopping the main tank from rapidly filling with silt, and then ending up only holding half the water it's designed to hold.

Speaking from over 40 years experience as a damsinker, water harvesting, and drainage contractor.

Thanks for the video, it looks like it rained not long before you went through there.

Not a lot of people understand how a full gnamma hole, or an empty gnamma hole, made the difference between surviving and "doing a perish", when travelling, in the early days of W.A.'s development.

Horses in particular, demand sizeable amounts of water on a daily basis, and you read about so many of the early travellers and early farmers drinking water from polluted waterholes, whilst travelling, that you wouldn't normally touch - because there was nothing else.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 625728

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, May 24, 2019 at 20:37

Friday, May 24, 2019 at 20:37
Hi Ron,
Thanks, I will remember that now.

The rain was from TC Veronica, well what was left of it, and another smaller system later.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899369

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 24, 2019 at 23:03

Friday, May 24, 2019 at 23:03
Hi Alan

Thanks again for a very informative video.

All the best

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625731

Reply By: landymick - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 10:51

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 10:51
Gday Alan
Thank you for posting the video. Good country. I was in that area myself ay Easter. Keep up the good work
Mick
AnswerID: 625749

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 11:40

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 11:40
Thanks Mick

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899386

Reply By: harryopal - Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 16:26

Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 16:26
Thanks for the well made video. This is by no means a criticism of the item but it says something about the way we have buried local history that there is no ready information about the Aboriginal peoples who originally used these soaks and waterholes. The arrival of "explorers" and the cattle usually meant a serious impact on the survival of the indigenous people. Mobs of cattle would muddy up water holes and we can be sure if the Aborigines of the area sought to drive cattle away or speared trespassers then the reprisals would be brisk and punitive.

It is only relatively recently that we have begun to peel back the layers and learn the realities of conquest. The Guardian recently began a project which provides rather more detail than we ever learned in our "history" lessons. For anyone interested here is a link although most of it relates to Eastern Australia and with little about the west.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/ng-interactive/2019/mar/05/frontier-massacres-role-of-australias-colonial-government-forces-revealed-datablog
AnswerID: 625761

Reply By: rocco2010 - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 14:22

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 14:22
Thanks for sharing.
So much history out there.
I will be in that region in a few weeks.
You have whet the appetite.
Cheers
AnswerID: 625782

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 20:08

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 20:08
Hi Rocco,
Remember to dig out a couple of shovel loads :-)
Enjoy the area.
Cheers

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899421

Sponsored Links