Gove Peninsula

Submitted: Monday, May 27, 2019 at 10:11
ThreadID: 138397 Views:5039 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip to Nhulunbuy and camps spots in July/August this year. Does anyone have recent, say, 2017/18, experience please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 10:34

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 10:34
Hi u will need permits to travel there ,there is the only camp spot at a homestead about one third of the way up ,some people stay about half way up at the look out illegally, there is a river crossing up a bit more they camp at the old crossing illegally also.
when u get to the top u will have to register for camping up there or stay at the back of the pub or can book into the motel all this should be done well in advance before leaving,sorry i can not give u coordinates at this time.We spent a week just looking around good spots to see a nice place did not do any fishing but they say it is good up there .
Cheers good travelling .
AnswerID: 625774

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 20:03

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 20:03
Hi Reggy

I think it is a matter of Chinese Wispers.

When we got out permits, we were told that the recognised stop along the way was at the Mainoru store. When I asked further, the lady from the NLC and also Aboriginal said that we could camp anywhere along the way in one of the old gravel pits.

That is exactly what we did, a great little spot east of the Goyder River crossing and on the way back out at Jurassic Park Lookout.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 899420

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 22:48

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 22:48
I have seen no requirement to not camp along the roadside other than at the Goyder river crossing. We also camped at one of the old road construction campsites (gravel pit) a little further along than Stephen's. A perfect campsite.

On our return trip we stayed at the Mainoru store campground. BIG MISTAKE.
Was threatened by the managers dogs, the campsite was sloppy boggy due to over-watering, the shower hot water heater was not working, and we were charged $40 for the night!
OK, things can go wrong... but then don't put ya hand out for $40.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 899424

Reply By: Kenell - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 13:54

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 13:54
John,

I went last year using Stephen L's blog from this forum dated Feb 18 as my reference. The permits required can be arranged initially thru the Northern Lands Council (Transit permit) either online or at their office in Katherine. The others need to be arranged when you get there but again online is available. There are some great camps within an hour or two of the township but the pub caravan park is the go initially while you get your bearings perhaps. I met up with a chap at this park and we did a half day fishing charter. It was very fruitful - we each caught enough for several feeds over the following week. There is also a good - legal - camp spot not far past the new bridge but Stephen's blog will set you straight on this too. Safe travels - its worth the effort to get there.

Ken
AnswerID: 625779

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 17:10

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 17:10
Hi John

You will have a fantastic time, and as you will read, the permits have never been so easy to acquire. If you drop into the NLC in Katherine, they will issue you a permit on the spot and give you a run down on what to expect.

Have a read of my Blogs for Nhulunbuy and it will give you an idea of what to expect.

All the best and enjoy your trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625790

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 17:54

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 17:54
Stephen's Blogs (see above) will serve you well. They were for us last year.
See here for information on permits which are essential.

After obtaining your General Permit you can apply for the Special Permits for Recreational Areas here. It is wise to apply for these before travelling as there are strict number limits to these areas and they are well worthwhile visiting.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 899416

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 19:10

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 19:10
Hi John,

Silly me forgot to also add this blog to the list, and will give be an idea of what the drive is like from the Stuart Highway through to Nhulunbuy, the Central Arnhem Highway

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899418

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 20:24

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 20:24
Hi John,Stephen,
Yes u are right it depends who u talk to.
We camped at the store and brought some fuel on the way up and on the way back, did not need fuel on the way back.
I did not have much info at the time of writing the above story,as to the names of spots.
Cheers
AnswerID: 625799

Reply By: Member - John D46 - Monday, May 27, 2019 at 22:06

Monday, May 27, 2019 at 22:06
Thank you for all your responses. they are giving us confidence that we are understanding the not-so-minor details of our trip, permits, camping, etc We are assuming references to 'behind the pub' mean the camp site at Walkabout Resort (not being born here, we still sometimes need to put 'pub' in context!) Kenell. thank you for taking us to Stephen's blog which we were reading when Stephen's response popped up! Stephen, what great blogs, full of helpful detail, the co-driver will have must-see information to hand as we drive the Highway! We clearly haven't paid enough attention to the ExplorOz blogs..
AnswerID: 625802

Reply By: Member - JIM F4 - Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 20:51

Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 20:51
We were there in 2015-- get a permit and you can camp in some great places .The people will help you when you get to Nhulunbuy. Make sure you go to Yirrkala for a world best Art Centre. Near the sea midgees are a pest. Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 625866

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, May 31, 2019 at 07:36

Friday, May 31, 2019 at 07:36
'
Yes Jim, Yirrkala Art Centre is fabulous. Step inside and it is like Aladdin's cave of Aboriginal art. The best collection I have seen anywhere.
We obtained several pieces to add to our indigenous collection.
It is not to be missed if you value Aboriginal culture.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 899494

Sponsored Links