Halligan Bay Track

Whilst I've been up the Oodnadatta Track many times , I was curious as to the state of the track to Halligans Bay. Thought I might make a side visit in July on our way to Mt Dare and the desert. I realise it might change regularly but just looking for a general indicator, I was thinking maybe a 30kph track

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 13:21

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 13:21
Hi Trouper,

I was out there last year, sections of the track were quite good then, 60 - 70 kph in places, others 20 - 30 kph. Some corrugations, some sandy sections, so long as you have quality LT tyres with good tread depth you should be fine, unless it is wet, then all bets are off.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625846

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 13:24

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 13:24
Drove (not towing) to Halligans Bay on the 23rd May. Not too bad, varies between 70kph in the first part to bone shaking huge corrugations were even 30 kph would rattle your teeth out, fortunately there are detours around them. Easy half day trip from William Creek. Lots of bull dust holes. The other point to note is that the online booking system has infected the Desert Parks as well. Permits are no longer sold at WC, online only (same for Dalhousie btw). Rangers are ignoring the need for permits in both places were were informed by the folks at the WC pub and the Pink Roadhouse respectively. I think we took a bit over 1:45 each way.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625847

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 19:46

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 19:46
Thanks for that just as I thought
AnswerID: 625853

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 21:29

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 21:29
All the roads around Dalhousie and Mt Dare were pretty ordinary a few weeks ago. The Oodnadatta Track was mostly nice and smooth from Marree to Oodnadatta. Lots were whinging about the corrugations into Halligans Bay.
AnswerID: 625855

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Friday, May 31, 2019 at 05:45

Friday, May 31, 2019 at 05:45
One of the more memorable landscapes would be how I would describe the drive-in to the bay when you get up to the top of the range and lookout over the barren landscape you would swear you're landed on the moon.... the track itself is like most Outback tracks can be fairly corrugated in the Sandy sections.
We are camped out there for a few days in a previous flood... well worth the drive .imo
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 625869

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 21:01

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 21:01
We've just come from Dalhousie to Oodnadatta and down the Oodnadatta track, the roads in the NP have all been graded but up around Mt Dare and back out to Oodnadatta they are a bit cut up after the rain 10 days ago due to people driving on them when wet.
The desert itself didn't get any of the approximately 20mm we had at Dalhousie in late May.
The Oodnadatta track is a bit average because of the high volumes of traffic going up to see Lake Eyre, in over 30 years of travelling the Oodnadatta track we've never seen so much traffic on it.
The road out to Halligans bay has also been graded and was in excellent condition on the 1st of June, hardly a corro in it, a bit different to the crawl out there on the 28th May. No water visible as it is 3k's away from the shoreline, the only way to see the water is by air and when we were in William Creek they advised that flights were booked out for a week ahead.
There is a possibility of the water reaching the edge in 2-3 weeks as the second flood comes down.
AnswerID: 626021

Sponsored Links