Daihatsu rocky

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 16, 2004 at 20:38
ThreadID: 13844 Views:4050 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We've just bought a daihatsu rocky '90 model 2.8L turbo diesel, it is a sports afield (or something like that we haven't actually bought it home yet to double check!!). Was just wondering what this meant ( what extras it may have if any).

Also what fuel economy is expected out of them?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 12:42

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 12:42
I had a 94' Rocky (the newer wider shape with the intercooler). The Sports afield was just what they called the "residential" model, it just meant it had all the flash things like, carpet and turbo's LOL. Great cars, you'll love it. Much more heavy duty than people give them credit for, in fact more heavy duty than alot of other 4bies out there. The 2.8 is very similar to the Hilux motor, expcept it came with a factory turbo and a stronger crank (good because the earlier hilux 2.8's use to break'em if you revved them too hard). I used to get 10L per 100km no matter what I did to it, flogging it in the bush, cruising at 110km/h fully loaded or bashing the roundabouts in the subrubs, could not change it really. They are a bloody heavy beast though, so even though the torque is there, it won't jump off the start line like an excel! Once you get going though it'll keep up with the traffic no worries.
Keep the oil changes regular (5,000kms) and she'll never let you down.
AnswerID: 63576

Reply By: Member - Alan - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 16:00

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 16:00
Ditto to comments in previous post - I have a 92 Rocky and its a great bus. Picked mine up about six years ago with about K80 on the clock , its now done 279,100kms and still going strong. I get 9 - 10kms / litre , on the beach it does what you want without going overboard, my mud driving experiences is limited to a few puddles so I can't comment there. 12 months ago we spent 6 weeks up in the kimberley with another couple also in a Rocky, other than a few minor repairs(loose battery) and a few new rattles they never let us down. I think coil suspension came out after 1992 , if they also brought out a four door model I would go out straight away and buy another one.
Regards
Alan
AnswerID: 63780

Sponsored Links