Rear View Cameras

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 09:11
ThreadID: 138467 Views:5921 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to install a rear view camera to my camper and seeking feedback on any 2.4ghz wireless setups that members are using successfully. I know wired will provide the best outcome however its a big job on my Complete Campsite Exodus to get the wiring through the rear shower pod, into the rear of the camper and through to the front. I don't want to run anything under the camper as it has been designed with minimal underbody wiring and I don't want to change that. The camper is a complete fibreglass construction which works in my favour for wireless. I am looking at a QM3856 long range set that sells under various brand names. That one is at the bottom end of pricing. There seem to be a few others closer to $600 but whether they are better I have no idea. Any experiences would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 09:55

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 09:55
We have had issues in the past fitting wireless cameras to utes because of the amount of metal between the camera and the receiver. The more metal between them the less signal gets through and that includes anything inside the camper, the back of the cabin and the seat frames.
AnswerID: 625996

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 11:03

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 11:03
Hi Penski,
I too have had issues with wireless signal being interrupted by the composite body of my camper trailer. So much so that I gave it away and only have one camera on the rear of my vehicle. (Yada)
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 625999

Reply By: Member - willawa - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 14:11

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 14:11
Hi Penski
I have a Jaycar 2.4 digital wireless part number QM3856 fitted to my MDC xt15
O/R van which is mostly alloy .
Had a few problems with the 1st one which was replaced by them due to faultly
anntenna.
Have not had any problems with the replacement
Found Jaycar easy and knowledgeable to deal with .
Price was also good .
good luck
Ed
AnswerID: 626004

Follow Up By: Member - Penski - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 16:47

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 16:47
Thanks, that’s the one I am looking at.
FollowupID: 899651

Reply By: Rob A2 - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 16:22

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 16:22
We have a Garmin Drive Assist 51 and their BC-30 wireless reversing camera fitted to the back of our AOR Q+. Works perfectly and we've covered around 50,000km off bitumen over the last two years with that combination and nothing has fallen off the camera in particular. Dust, vibration and water proof. Price is around $250 for the kit.

The camera was hardwired in during the build but it's an easy cable run. As well we didn't want another screen on the dash so having the GPS already made for an easy decision which has worked very well.

The camera works with a range of Garmin GPS not just our version

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626010

Reply By: Member - Penski - Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 17:56

Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 17:56
An update. I bought the QM3856 from Jaycar and fitted it this afternoon. Installation was simple as you would expect and I simply spliced the camera into one of my running lights. I want to just use the parking light switch to activate it. So far I have only done a stationary test and I am getting a good image and 100% signal over approx 10m. If the travelling test works it's a bargain. Again, the signal is only passing through fibreglass and glass.
AnswerID: 626061

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Saturday, Jun 08, 2019 at 11:38

Saturday, Jun 08, 2019 at 11:38
I would say that a product supplied by Jaycar is more than likely going to work than some cheap stuff on eBay.

The tail lights is as good a place as any to power it from but why use the park lights, surely you are not using it while parked. Maybe try using your headlights and you will be easily seen.

When I am towing I always use my headlights so I can be seen better.
FollowupID: 899736

Follow Up By: Member - Penski - Saturday, Jun 08, 2019 at 16:15

Saturday, Jun 08, 2019 at 16:15
That's essentially how it's wired as the upper rear running light cable was the closest. It will be activated with the headlight switch in the park or headlights position. I have started using the headlights when travelling as you are definitely noticed more.
FollowupID: 899747

Sponsored Links