Ezitrail Camper on outback roads,

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 10:21
ThreadID: 138468 Views:3892 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
This year we plan a trip through the Flinders, Lake Eyre., Birdsville Track, and Hungerford/Bourke road with 2 adults, granny, 2 teens , a 20 year old well maintained standard Landcruiser Troopy, and Ezitrail (mark 1) dual fold camper. After reading some posts re springs and general mishaps I'm a little apprehensive. My old lighter camper gave no trouble around Australia on dirt roads but this one is heavier with more people/weight. Troopy has only done 300,000 despite it's age. We keep our speed down but none of us have too much mechanical aptitude. The Birdsville Track is my main concern. Comments please.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 11:01

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 11:01
The Bourke/ Hungerford rd would be more concerning that the Birdsville track. At least it gets decent maintenance and is usually in bloody good condition. The road from Hungerford to Wanaring was in good condition a few months ago but the road from Wanaring to Bourke was an each way bet. There was some good bits and some very lose corrugated stretchs. If you drive to the conditions I cant see a problem with either the Troopy or the camper
AnswerID: 625998

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 11:43

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 11:43
The publican at the Wanaring pub was spot on with his road report to us and would definitely be worth a phone call to check current conditions
FollowupID: 899647

Follow Up By: Member - Chucklingwater - Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 13:58

Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 13:58
Thanks ITT, I must say I'm surprised that you consider the Hungerford - Bourke road is of more concern than the Birdsville track as I traverse the Hungerford every couple or years or so and know it can be bad at times but certainly don't put it among the really bad ones. My middle aged son may have a different view of the Hungerford road though as he towed the rig over it last year having little experience on dirt roads, he found it quite a strain handing it back to me half way. It is a relief to hear the Birdsville track isn't too bad after all.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899712

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 11:18

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 11:18
A friend of mine bought a new Ezytrail forward fold camper, he took it home & basically gave it a thorough “pre-delivery” check. He went right over it, fitting washers, nyloc nuts, Loctite etc as required. His first trip was up through the Centre from Victoria & then the Gibb River Rd, the camper performed faultlessly.
AnswerID: 626000

Follow Up By: NeddySmtih - Thursday, Jun 06, 2019 at 10:42

Thursday, Jun 06, 2019 at 10:42
Some good advise, I bought a second hand Ezytrail and plan on doing the same, with some preventative maintenance, going to replace bearings and carry some spares just in case, grease all components, loctitie all nuts and get some spares, i am also contemplating replacing the springs and shocks with something reputable for piece of mind and possibly replacing the water tanks with poly jobbies.
FollowupID: 899679

Follow Up By: Member - Chucklingwater - Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 14:09

Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 14:09
You've brought to the fore the importance of prevention preparation, thanks everyone.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899714

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 14:49
I would definitely get the bearings replaced with quality ones..skf, timken. Whilst these are being replaced it would give you a good opportunity to check brakes, grease shackle pins, inspect springs, check hangers/u-bolts and grease everything. Cheap peace of mind. A simple bearing failure out bush can be a disaster for some. Keep an eye on tyre pressure (very important) and drive to conditions. You should do it easy using common sense. Good luck with the trip.
AnswerID: 626006

Follow Up By: Member - Chucklingwater - Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 14:25

Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 14:25
Thanks Bigfish
Had bearings go and the axle move on a previous camper en route on dirt roads, not fun! Fortunately we were able to get to town in both cases but it could have been disaster if stuck out on a road somewhere . Learnt lessons the hard way. Will use Loctite too this time to, never used it before.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899716

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 17:21

Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 17:21
“........Loctite too..........never used it before.”

Beginner’s Guide to Loctite:

222, Good for small screws, or nuts & bolts, that you may need to undo sometimes. Excellent for screws on glasses frames, GPS mounts etc. KEEP AWAY FROM PLASTIC, IF POSSIBLE.

243, Useful for slightly bigger screws, bolts & nuts, say up to 10mm. Things like free wheeling hub bolts, driving light mounts etc. Same deal with plastic!

263, Recommended for bigger bolts, like suspension bolts, shockie bolts, chassis mountings, usually above 10mm. DON’T use on small screws or bolts, nor Nyloc nuts. The bolt etc will break before 263 lets go. More of same with plastic.

Use sparingly, and wear plastic/rubber gloves when using it. All care, no responsibility!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 899723

Reply By: Keith B2 - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 17:18

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 at 17:18
In addition to the previous two recommendations, I'd make sure that the water tank and all water lines are properly protected. My Ezytrail lost all its water on the Oodnadatta Track.
Also make sure you have Loctite on every bolt and carry spare bolts just in case.
I'd also take plenty of wipes to deal with dust ingress and maybe a cover for the bedding.
Enjoy your trip!
Keith
AnswerID: 626014

Follow Up By: Member - Chucklingwater - Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 15:01

Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 15:01
Not the first to mention the water on Ezytrail, will keep this in mind on our pre trip servicing. Need to watch the electrical cord on kitchen light that it doesn't become caught and be damaged /severed as the the drawer is closed. seems to be a design fault. Not only can dust get in, when it rained, camper erected, the inside cupboards and everything in them .became quite wet. Only been on one trip in it so far.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899719

Sponsored Links