Indee Station WA

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 06, 2019 at 15:09
ThreadID: 138478 Views:4779 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Well its been a few years since I visited Colin & Betty (Indee station owners) happy hour has only got better & went out to there Red Rock & looked at the 100's of rock engraving, the rare mound mice & the plane wreak site (Viscount) 31/12/1968
Colin had he's 80th Birthday earlier & has now been on Indee for 55years & still going strong
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Jun 06, 2019 at 21:43

Thursday, Jun 06, 2019 at 21:43
I can still clearly remember the Viscount crash, it was horrendous news and shocked everyone in Australia. It was one of Australia's worst air disasters.

The wing separated in flight just as they were on descent into Port Hedland.
The wing spar failed because someone (never identified) pressed in an oversize bushing in the wing spar, and then "belled" the ends, against any recommended repair practice.

The belled bushing shortened the lifespan of the wing spar, and when the wing spar snapped, the aircraft was doomed beyond any attempt to save it.

ABC News article - Viscount crash

ATSB report - Viscount VH-RMQ crash

Interestingly, I have a friend I met many years after the crash, and he told me, he was working in the North of W.A. as a mechanical fitter, at that time, and was supposed to have been on that flight.

However, his shift was cancelled at the last minute, for some reason I can't recall at present, and another work associate took his place. Just goes to show you how lucky you can be.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 626040

Follow Up By: duck - Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 09:06

Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 09:06
The Memorial was moved from the Original crash site due to mining activity & was placed in a more serene & beautiful place to remember those who were killed,
FollowupID: 899704

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 12:29

Friday, Jun 07, 2019 at 12:29
I was on an F27 PER-PHE flight in early Dec with one of the FA's who died in that incident. Her name is laser-etched in my memory.
FollowupID: 899710

Sponsored Links