Exploreoz traveler app

Submitted: Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 17:40
ThreadID: 138584 Views:4173 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I know this has the ability to use offline maps but I’ve also been told that in remote areas using off line maps the mobile device sometime can’t pick up a signal and there fore the maps become unusable. Has anyone experienced this?
Glenn Addison

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 18:28

Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 18:28
Hello

You post is somewhat ambiguous - mobile device can't pick up what signal? GPS or Phone(Internet)? No gps tracking device will work without gps signal. Offline maps will work with no internet - otherwise they are not "offline" maps.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 626344

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 19:01

Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 19:01
Glenn

I have just completed 8 weeks on the Canning - To put it simply - I am sold on the ExplorOz Traveller App.

I took a HEMA device as my primary means of navigation. I also took my iPad with ExplorOz Traveller installed as a backup (and for comparison).

I ditched the HEMA in favour of the iPad for the following reasons.

Offline Access to the places database, maps treks etc etc
Better zoom in maps
Better detail on maps
Quicker response time
Offline Access to camp site data.
Etc etc etc.

Also have access to other features/apps stored on the iPad.

When you are driving around the low point of a Sandune and the ExplorOz App shows you driving around it (HEMA drove over the line) in max zoom, you can't beat that for accuracy.

At no time in my 8 weeks away did I not have a little blue arrow on a road/track or my actual position on the map (I did go cross country a few times).

As for losing signal, the offline maps don't rely on a mobile signal only a gps signal for location. I have my iPad mounted on a RAM mount stalk attached to the transmission hump and it always managed to find a gps signal through the windscreen.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 626345

Follow Up By: Tonka Guy - Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 19:51

Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 19:51
Thanks for the detailed response that’s a big help
Glenn Addison

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 900093

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Saturday, Jun 22, 2019 at 08:47

Saturday, Jun 22, 2019 at 08:47
Morning Glen

This may be what you’re referring to.

When the App switches from online maps to offline maps & vice versa there can be a slight delay in the switching. When completely switched over either way they are fine.

In the latest App upgrade David has altered the timings setup for this. I believe he may be looking at other ways to make the change overs even more seamless.

It is a fantastic App that just keeps getting better.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626355

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Jun 22, 2019 at 18:26

Saturday, Jun 22, 2019 at 18:26
Hi there Glenn, and Anthony

I also have just finished a longish , 3 months, trip from the Gold Coast to southwest WA, Laverton, and back through the Flinders Ranges , Lake Eyre, and the Strezlecki Track back to Queensland.
Used the ExplorOz Traveller with the offline map packs and found the package quite brilliant. Did a couple of the listed "Treks" and couldn't fault them.
We did have our iPad connection drop out on occasion, but just needed to tap on the app to get it going again. Not sure if it was a signal problem or the iPad being jiggled a bit. Never off for more time than it took to touch the iPad again a couple of times.
Also had fantastic help and information from Michelle and David when I asked for some advice and information.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626366

Reply By: Tonka Guy - Monday, Jun 24, 2019 at 20:06

Monday, Jun 24, 2019 at 20:06
thanks for that big help
Glenn Addison

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 626377

Sponsored Links