Lyndhurst - Marree road sealed; Strzelecki sealing mooted (again)

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 26, 2019 at 23:56
ThreadID: 138603 Views:4276 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Two recent bits from the Adelaide Advertiser... Unfortunately, you need a subscription to read the full articles.

Of course, there has been talk for years about sealing the Strzelecki. Not sure if there's now any real momentum for it. Thoughts?

18 June: "The road to Marree will be completely sealed for the first time on Wednesday, bringing what publican Phil Turner has described as a huge boost for tourism and pastoralists."

Article here

1 May: "The State Government looks set to have another swing at sealing the iconic Strzelecki track, with a call out to measure the economic impact of the $450 million project."

Article here
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 05:43

Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 05:43
There's already sections of bitumin on the Strzelecki (they range from about 7 - 14klms long from memory), it's only a matter of time before it all gets linked up, it'll happen one day.
AnswerID: 626390

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 13:52

Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 13:52
Bugger; they'll want to seal the Canning next !!!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 626395

Reply By: Darian - Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 13:55

Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 13:55
A great region to tour through, with lots of important historic features to see, but....my guess is:
- the complete sealing of the Strzelecki won't be done until the exploration / energy orientated interests can make a case for it.
- it seems the tourism related economy just isn't big enough to make even 50% of the required case for it.
Phil may be right (I'm no 'local') but I recall the unsealed road from Lyndhurst to Marree as always being good (rain aside)....those who wanted to go that way were probably happy to do it on any surface...? Just a thought or two :-)...
AnswerID: 626396

Follow Up By: Dion - Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 14:35

Thursday, Jun 27, 2019 at 14:35
I was still happy to go to Marree on the dirt, it's part of the adventure. With bitumen, it's not far removed from going the other way down to the big smoke, except less IDtenT's in Marree.
When I first went through to Marree, the sealed road only went as far as Hawker.
FollowupID: 900174

Sponsored Links