For photographers-Lightroom classic and the recent Win10 update

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:08
ThreadID: 138698 Views:3612 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Microsoft have done it again. About 18 months ago a windows update created problems with app folder access permissions. At the time the win 10 update coincided with an Adobe LR classic update which also upgraded catalogues confusing the issue. Then and now if you are affected you will be unable to save files from affected apps which include Office apps (really MS!). With Lightroom it's even more insidious, you suddenly won't be able to load a catalogue. Also affected is the apps ability to create previews. Other Adobe apps can also be affected, mainly the ability to save. So if you have been affected don't panic your catalogues aren't corrupt you just need to manually set permissions via the procedure below:
1. Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
2. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
3. Under Controlled folder access, select Manage Controlled folder access.
4. Select Allow an app through Controlled folder access
5. Delete the lightroom (classic) entry
6. Select Add an allowed app
7. Add Lightroom classic. Note you may be able to do this quickly by selecting Recently blocked apps.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Dean K3 - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 16:32

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 16:32
My windozes 10 doesn't even allow me to download pictures from a CF card onto a external hard drive as its "write protected" for some idiotic reason.

checked everything I can access rights who can can't etc all approved.

searched wicked web and nothing assists me whatsoever -evn making a new sub folder is frowned upon

If I could go back to XP I would sadly need data access and security which only occurs on later versions of windoze
AnswerID: 626747

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 16:47

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 16:47
That sounds like some of the behaviours that can be caused by the issue I posted. I couldn't create a subfolder to save a document from Word for example. As usual the error messages are not helpful and bear no relation to the real issue. Perhaps check the recently blocked apps to see if win explorer is one of them. Read/write errors are part and parcel of the issues caused by the controlled folder permissions. The first time it occurred I stuffed around so much I ended up having to do a full system reinstall.
Good luck
Warren
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 900665

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 20:11

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 20:11
All this confirms my decision not to upgrade from Win7 for my home use. Security is not an issue with sensible protection.

I have an extremely clever electronics engineer friend who is happy with XP on a fast PC for similar reasons.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 900680

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 16:09

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 16:09
Check your Anti - Virus program settings. Check out "Exceptions" and "Blocked and Allowed" Apps. I had a situation where I couldn't save my Excel files because the original was "locked". I had to save as a new file. I thought it W10, but it was the Virus program blocking …

Cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 900966

Sponsored Links