Anne Beadell Highway

Got as far as Emu before we ripped a shock from it's mount on the trailer. How twelve months have changed the condition on the track. We did it at Easter last year from Coober Pedy to Voakes Corner then down to Cook. Track condition them wasn't to bad. Now it is has a large amount of very deep corrugations and we weren't the only ones to suffer. We heard of three vehicles that didn't get past Tallaringa, two with snapped springs, and we spoke to on guy with a snapped spring on a camper that was still plodding along. The other difference we noted was the traffic. When we did it last year we saw one vehicle in the whole trip. This year we saw 25 vehicles in one day. All the people we spoke to said it was the roughest track they had ever attempted and I tend to agree with them so anyone heading out that way be prepared.

These were about eight inches deep and wern't the deepest. Some were nearly a foot deep.
Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 11:50

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 11:50
I see corrugations as the "handbrake" to ensure you are going slow enough to allow time to look out the window and appreciate the scenery...

That isn't to say I'd wouldn't prefer a road or track without corrugations...!

But I often wonder how much the "travel faster and bounce over the top of corrugations" theory contributes to broken suspension components.

In years of outback travel along corrugated roads, I have never suffered suspension problems (oops, that might be tempting fate!)

As a general theory, slow down, right down, when you encounter corrugations and your suspension will love you for it - hey, plus more time to look out the window!

My two bob's worth...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 626697

Follow Up By: axle - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:15

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:15
Not having suspension troubles , might of had something to do with Landrovers,

Baz!...(.Just thought I would throw that in there!...LOL)

Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 900602

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:28

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:28
Hey Axle,

Very possibly correct, at least I never needed any sort of handbrake to slow me down in ‘The Landy’... ??
FollowupID: 900603

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:29

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:29
Our main problem was incorrectly supplied shocks and me accepting they were right instead of checking them. As for slowing down, there were sections that were so bad that even at idle in first gear the arse end of the ute was nearly leaving the ground they were that deep.
FollowupID: 900604

Follow Up By: Siringo - Sunday, Jul 14, 2019 at 09:16

Sunday, Jul 14, 2019 at 09:16
We did the AB from Coober Pedy to Laverton late June. Ivan is spot on.

The track is horrendous. The sign at Mabel Creek says 1300 kmis to Laverton. Of that i’d have to say 1000 is corrugated, of that 600 is diabolically corrugated, the other 400 severely corrugated.

Idling over the bumps is awful, like sitting in a very rough sea in a row boat, 20kmh doesn't work either.

We averaged about 30 - 40 kmh most days. I found it so bad I didnt get much time to look out the window the corrugations demanded my constant attention. Then there's the noise, it was hard to head each other.

It was a torture test for vehicle & body, one of the most unpleasant tracks I’ve ever driven on.

I tried going fast over the corrugations but couldn’t get up to speed as they were so bad, I found around 30-40 kmh was the best speed. Slowest was down to around 10kmh before Emu. Plus the track doesn't really support speed with lots of plants near to the side of the track.

The track did improve after Emu, but not for long enough when you’re travelling to Laverton.

We took 7 nights to get across, I’d have liked to have taken longer but our trip plans & the flies made it difficult to ease up.

We suffered no mechanical problems which was a miracle as everything got severely shaken. However our trusty Evakool fridge decided to konk out, which I fixed at Voakes Hill corner and I found a front wheel bearing loose while looking for a mysterious knock, which was easily fixed.

The folks at Ilkurlka said the SA Govt have classed the SA section of the AB as a recreational road, thereby negating the requirement for them to maintain it.

If that's the case and this road continues to decline I can't see it being passable in 10 years or so, but who knows.

Unless it gets repaired, I don’t think I’d do it again as the toll on the vehicle is just too great.
FollowupID: 900627

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 13:59

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 13:59
Hi Ivan

That is a real bugger, and it would have been very disappointing to put an early end to your trip like that.

The times that we have been out on the Anne Beadell, we have also said by far for us, the worst section of the Anne Beadell was always between Emu and the Mabel Creek Boundary.

As you know, there were a couple of by passes around some the bad sections, but they were just as bad.

I usually run 18psi and only travel at a snails pace, but stop regularly.

After you get the repairs in Coober Pedy, are you going to head back out there again?

All the best

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626698

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 14:55

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 14:55
We left the trailer in Coober Pedy and headed home. Will recover it in the next week or so and repair and strengthen it. An incorrect shock caused the problem but a whole list of little things also contributed to the massive fail. Even though it was below it's max weight it was the heaviest it's ever gone out and the road condition didn't do us any favours. But lessons were learned and we shall be better prepared next time. These things are all part of the adventure and the things we'll be discussing and laughing about around future camp fires.
FollowupID: 900608

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 15:00

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 15:00
I'll also add that tyre pressure could have been part of the issue after we found out on returning to Coober Pedy that our tyre gauge was possibly reading incorrectly and we may have been running 10psi higher than normal. Will test that over the next few days
FollowupID: 900609

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 15:05

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 15:05
Thanks Ivan

That is such a pity, but as you say, it will be one learning curve and indeed a good campfire yarn

All the best

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900610

Reply By: Robyn C8 - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 15:25

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 15:25
Hi Ivan.
What vehicle and camper were you travelling with?
Did anyone else go with you?
Cheers
Robyn
AnswerID: 626699

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 16:34

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 16:34
Dmax and a home made trailer. Ute came out unscathed. We were solo
FollowupID: 900612

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 16:13

Saturday, Jul 13, 2019 at 16:13
There were a few corrugations like that on the Level Post Bay Rd in May. I looked out the window and we were going so slow we were passed by a butterfly. Fortunately only a couple of km that bad and idling along did mean you got to admire the view now how many hairs o on a butterfly abdomen?
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626704

Reply By: pmk03 - Sunday, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:55

Sunday, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:55
We came across these on the Painted Desert Rd a few weeks back.
Yes the traffic has increased these days so I reckon we're just going to have to get used to it.
This section was between Kempe Rd & Arckaringa. We left the station on Mt Barry Rd & it was a highway compared to this.
Cheers,
Paul

AnswerID: 626716

Reply By: Siringo - Sunday, Jul 14, 2019 at 11:15

Sunday, Jul 14, 2019 at 11:15
Gee we had a few very cold mornings. We had a few -1's and even a -6!

Beautiful colours

I recommend the trip to Voakes Hill. The view from the (very slight) hill is beautiful. The trip to the hill is reminiscent of typical Madigan line track. Took us about 30 mins to do the 14 kms to the hill.

AnswerID: 626718

Reply By: Candace S. - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 07:35

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 07:35
Hmm, I'm supposed to be crossing the AB from West to East in August. In a hire vehicle.

When I inquired about dropping the tyre pressure, I was told they don't recommend doing that. It's a troop carrier so presumably they're running the tube tyres. And their prescribed tyre pressure is 50 psi! That's going to be a very rough ride.
AnswerID: 626731

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 09:07

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 09:07
It's a Troopy Candace....... it will be a rough ride. And you either get those tyres, tubed or otherwise, down to about 30 psi or you may not get it to the other side!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 900648

Follow Up By: Member - 2208mate - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 12:48

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 12:48
I'm surprised you even found a hire company that allows such a trip. Good to see things have changed in that regard.

As for 50psi(tubes or not) seems like a blast from the uninformed past.
Get it in print, start at 50psi hot and then adjust as required?

Visit the dentist before you go hehe... high frequency vibrations can do some amazing things and store up well for the slowest crossing in history.
FollowupID: 900656

Follow Up By: Member - Mal and Naomi G - Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 20:54

Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 20:54
We did AB last year, 18psi in fronts and camper trailer, 22psi in rears on DMAX. Checked them first thing before heading off in the morning when they were stone cold. No problems, but did run into an old bloke in a 15 tonne Isuzu 4x4 long chassis tray truck with a tandem axle Jayco road caravan without wheels bolted down on the truck tray. He was attempting to go e-w and hadn't made Emu when we saw him. Probably still out there somewhere as he wouldn't get around some of the tight bits near the border.
FollowupID: 900803

Reply By: Member - Odog - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 16:31

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 16:31
Interesting read, we are planning on doing it next year, as part of a 10 week trip, including the CSR.. doesn’t sound so much fun now after reading this.. although rather be in a vehicle with coils I guess... were aiming at 6 days from CP to Laverton... May have to add a few days by the sounds of it.. ha.. cheers O
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627066

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Aug 11, 2019 at 19:46

Sunday, Aug 11, 2019 at 19:46
The worst corrugations I have seen so far bt a fair margin. We'll have another crack at it next year if the traffic drops. Currently way to busy but I put that down to everyone going to climb Ularu.
FollowupID: 901142

Sponsored Links