2019 eoTopo maps upgrade

Submitted: Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 14:17
ThreadID: 138726 Views:3965 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Is this a free upgrade for those with the app and the 2018 topo maps?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kgarn - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 15:29

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 15:29
Discounted - but not free.

Ken

EOTopo 2019 App Versions
- upgrade pricing is only $24.99 (no further discount). To qualify for this upgrade you must have previously purchased the ExplorOz Traveller Premium Offline Maps (or have an EOTopo map licence from a previous purchase).

To claim your discount, simply click the ADD to CART button. Once you proceed to the checkout you will enter the code: EOTOPOAPPUPGRADE into the Promo Code Field when purchasing.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Ensure you are logged into your ExplorOz account when making your purchase. The promo code will be rejected if your previous purchase history on this account does not qualify. Discounts are automatically adjusted at the checkout and not adjustable after payment. Do not proceed with payment as requests for an account adjustment/refund will be rejected if you choose to proceed with payment.
AnswerID: 626745

Follow Up By: Siringo - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 15:54

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 15:54
Is it a worthwhile upgrade from the 2018 maps?
FollowupID: 900661

Follow Up By: kgarn - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 16:05

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 16:05
Whether it is a worthwhile upgrade or not depends on your usage and needs.
Certainly not a critical upgrade.
Ken

What's New?
There's been a massive update from our 2018 EOTopo version.
Firstly, to create the 2019 product we've conducted another full data conflation analysis, which means we've gone back to the various data sources we used to build the 2018 version and cross-referenced new changes since the 2018 data extraction and have brought all these changes into our 2019 release. The data conflation includes cross-referencing OSM data, the latest parks/forestry data, and the latest ExplorOz Places database. This data covers roads, parks, airports, national parks, state forests, water bodies, lakes, walking trails etc and either added or removed data since the last data conflation (which was Dec 2017), to 28th May 2019.
We've also modified the symbol-style across the whole map, which results in a cleaner, crisp overall look. This change has affected the depiction of state borders, the colour used of road lines for ExplorOz Trek Notes (changed from purple to dotted black/white), and land use areas have changed. Whilst only subtle, this makes an improvement on what was already a great product.
FollowupID: 900662

Follow Up By: Siringo - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 16:13

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 16:13
Thanks Ken, it does sound like a worthwhile upgrade.

Do you know if it's fixed the problem I mentioned in this thread:
https://www.exploroz.com/forum/138340/traveller-app-area-shading-turn-off

Where reading text in the shaded areas is hard.

Cruza25 posted an image that shows exactly what I'm talking about, it's in AnswerID: 625578.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 900663

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 16:31

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 at 16:31
They are still not accurate, with many country roads still well out of date...eg the main road from Paringa out to the old Customs House in the Riverland of South Australia has been fully bitumen for well over twenty years, but still showing only half bitumen.

I suggested a great way for all members to get involved where they live to check map details, but it fell on deaf ears.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 900664

Follow Up By: Dave B18 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 09:26

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 09:26
Would happily supply updates to EOTopo if I used it more. Supply updates to OsmAnd+ and Mapilliary. Reason don't use EOTopo much the caravan park symbols and other unecessary icons get in the way.
How can you supply updates to EOTopo?
FollowupID: 900905

Reply By: Dave B18 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 09:17

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 09:17
Didn't buy the upgrade as still littered with unwanted caravan park symbols and things that block off the map detail.
WikiCamps and other things provide details of caravan parks which we never use if people want that information. Maps are not the place for advertising rip-off caravan parks.
AnswerID: 626934

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 09:59

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 09:59
Crikey Dave B18, that's a bit harsh.

What zoom level are you using? If you're zoomed right out, yes the symbols and green clusters cover much of the map, but at those outer zoom levels the map is not much use for navigating - you would use that zoom just to locate a particular part of the map then zoom in to see the detail.

With the off line maps, the most natural zoom level is 13, where you get the best detail and resolution. At zoom 13 the symbols are there alright but they don't obscure detail to any great extent. If one does you can temporarily drag it out of the way for a quick look at what lies underneath.

If clusters of symbols are really bothering you then maybe you're in a largish town, where there is probably mobile service - in which case you can switch to on-line streets and paths and zoom into all the detail you require and at the same time spreading out all the symbols so they don't clutter the part of the map you're interested in.

For the record, I don't like caravan parks and the lobbying they do with councils to close free camps. But some people do like them and need them so surely they are a valid inclusion in a traveller's app. It is important to note that the symbols are not advertising caravan parks, they are just advising users of their presence. That information is provided FOC by users of EOTopo. It is not paid advertising.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see your problem.

For the OP, I support a previous post - the 2019 upgrade is not critical but I have found it worthwhile.

I guess everyone's needs and wants are different.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 900906

Follow Up By: Member - cruza25 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 14:46

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 14:46
If you click on the little folded map upper right on the map screen a window drops down
Click on filtered places 8 options
You can then select or deselect what to show

Deselect all 8 options and you will just see the map with no green dots or points of interest
Or deselect public places in the overlays
Hope that helps
Cheers
Mike
FollowupID: 900909

Follow Up By: Dave B18 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 14:51

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 14:51
You can't do that on the *.ECW or *.OZF maps.
Topographic maps are about land information, not caravan parks. Caravan parks are responsible for getting free camps shut down and public toilet blocks built canned. Last people ExplorOz should be supporting.
Manually edited the last version and removed all the caravan parks on the ECW and a'int going to do it again. I know many won't buy the upgrades because of the caravan parks being shown.
FollowupID: 900910

Sponsored Links