Android nav/sound system for 200 series

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 15:24
ThreadID: 138737 Views:6809 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering installing one of these in my 2014 GXL.

There seems to be a plethora of sellers and options from both local (probably Chinese but with some local input), eBay, Importers, Chinese etc.

If anyone has one of these or something else they are happy with can you please comment?

https://www.digoptions.com.au/?rf=kw&kw=and-l05

Thanks
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 16:55

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 16:55
I've been running a digoptions Android system for two years and am extremely happy with it. I got quite a few of the add ons including the tyre sensors and OBD monitoring system. I am running Ozi for android with a full map set as a back-up to my tablet. It handled a very rough and dusty three months on the road last year. Very happy with it to date. No issues to report.

My only recommendation is have it professionally installed.

Cheers, Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626787

Follow Up By: Mal58 - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 17:50

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 17:50
I had a previous DigiOptions version that ran Windows CE in my old 4wd. It generally did what it was supposed to do.

The move to Android sounds like the logical progression.

One thing I found though is that they only supported updates to the Maps for turn by turn navigation for 2 years, after that you were on your own.

Has that changed ?

Cheers,
Mal
FollowupID: 900726

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 18:39

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 18:39
Very much appreciate the input.
I am pleased that I had narrowed it down to the supplier that you both have chosen as well. Its not always about price.

I have had Ozi for many years and so in my case I have the license and maps

So based on my gut feel, research & the fact that you are hands on experience wise & it works the next step is to purchase it. right now in fact.
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 900729

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 08:52

Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 08:52

......"Its not always about price".......

Now that is one of the wisest expressions ever.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 900740

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 17:02

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 17:02
G'day Bungarra

Just got off the phone to DigOptions 2 minutes ago before heading to this site and seeing this post - where's Scully and Mulder when you need them lol.

I recently bought an older 200 series and what's really missing is a reverse camera, both street and off road navigation and a decent bluetooth set up. I spent endless hours doing online research and reading reviews and narrowed my choice down to the very unit in your link above - in fact just purchased it !

It cost extra for the OziExplorer Lic and maps but they are loading that on before shipping the unit interstate to me !

Will let you know how it all pans out !

Cheers

Gazz

AnswerID: 626788

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 21:06
Gazz

Well I have just purchased same!

Despite the negative comments on some of the posts about digoptions here there has also been some positive comments.

Yes I looked at Brash but I don't believe its apples for apples even though the screen shots show what appears to be the same item.....(its a generic photo for advertising) ....mistaken I might be but I reckon they are not the same....digoptions state they have upgraded to a lot of Masten (AU technology)...I like that

So digoptions won the day plus I have had a number of email exchanges with them asking detailed questions ...all of which were answered promptly & efficiently

VKS 1341

FollowupID: 900822

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 21:16

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 21:16
G'day Bungarra

I found all correspondence from DigOptions whether by phone or email to be extremely helpful and professional.

My unit is due to arrive this Friday and booked in next week for the install - will let you know how it all goes - hopefully all well !!

Good luck

Cheers

Gazz

FollowupID: 900823

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 22:06

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 22:06
I'm going to do my own install......I have pulled all the dash apart previously when I hid the UHF unit behind as there is a lot of waste space in there
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 900824

Follow Up By: Ryan M8 - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 11:59

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 11:59
Hey Gazz, Did you install it yet? Curious to hear your views, as I am looking to get one as well.
FollowupID: 900879

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 17:30

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 17:30
G'day bungarra and Ryan

Got the install done today - very nicely fitting unit, looks 100% factory.
Big screen, but with the sun coming in from the back left corner of the car you could see the 200 finger marks from the touch screen operations we did.

Got all 320 of my phone contacts onto the unit in seconds - Bluetooth is ten times better than original factory - street navigation is fantastic but that's about all I have used or can work out how to use at the moment as it's way too advanced for my tech ability - will have to get my grand kids over on the weekend to show me how to use it properly !

Also - DigOptions forgot to send the reverse camera so I just bought one off the installer which has a bracket that mounts under the number plate at the top and has a very small round camera centred above the number plate - which I think is much better than to the left or right of the tailgate handle where digoptions put their little square one - you hardly notice it !

Well I better go outside and play with it a bit more now but after 3 hours of ownership - at this stage I couldn't be happier and glad I bought it !

All the best

Gazz
FollowupID: 900883

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 22:08
Thanks Gazz

Music to my ears to hear all that. Mine is in the mail somewhere along the Nullabor!

Looking forward to fitting mine. To hear it looks like factory and all your positive comments is great

Cheers
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 900885

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 22:43

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 22:43
Howdy bungarra

Just spent some time in the car playing with the new toy - but in that time I learnt a few things !

1 - the owners manual is about as useful as a polystyrene bullbar

2 - I now feel much older than I am as I struggled to get things working properly

3 - paper maps and no phones wasn't so bad after all

4 - I now have more patience than 40 years ago

Took a while but I did work out a few things and also stuffed a couple up but managed to get it all back to normal - why is this stuff so easy for the young ones ? lol

But I have no doubt that once learned, this is a very good unit and compared to all the other units I looked at over the last 12 months, I think this one represents very good value for money !

Good luck with your install.

Let me know how you go

Cheers

Gazz

FollowupID: 900886

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 20:24

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2019 at 20:24
Buy alpine, pioneer or kenwood, i didnt have a good experience with dig options gps unit in my last bt50....had 2 chinese 200 head units, neither were as good as factory one
AnswerID: 626792

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 07:20

Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 07:20
G'day Dozer

How old was your BT ?
Was the DigOptions unit operating Android ?

I looked at Alpine but the two units available for the 200 are $2000 and $2700 dearer than the DigOptions unit I purchased - definitely over my budget.

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 900737

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER - Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 14:23

Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 14:23
My bt was a 12/15, and was an android with apps etc. If you look at the picture of the unit, the screen is flush with the surround, this means the sun light will reflect off it and give you issues. Suggest you look at Pioneer or Kenwood
FollowupID: 900748

Reply By: 116hynes - Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 08:36

Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 08:36
Another vote to keep away from Digoptions. I have a Android based unit. Very poor support.
AnswerID: 626797

Reply By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 10:49

Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 10:49
Have a look at Brash Imports. They have been around for quite a few years and David Brash has always been very helpful and prompt in replying to questions.

Otherwise why not look at shops like Repco etc and see what they can do.

Not everyone can afford a Alpine, Pioneer or Kenwood.

If I was in the market to replace the Clarion in my D-Max I would be looking at a unit that can work to my smartphone and using maps that are free rather than needing to pay $150 for maps upgrades that are already outdated.
AnswerID: 626799

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 11:23

Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 11:23
Yep
Another vote for Brash Imports,
I have a Win CE unit that runs a licensed Ozi Explorer & has worked well for the past 7 years
Probably better units around these days though
He provided support during my install as well as map updates for a couple of years.
Cheers
Paul
FollowupID: 900746

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 18:35

Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 18:35
Something's amiss somewhere

Just went on the Brash Imports site for a quick look at what they have for the 200 and the 2 pics they have are 100 percent identical to the 2 pics DigOptions sent me late last year when I started looking into these units.

Exact same unit - same pics - same time on the clock !!

As mentioned earlier - where's Scully and Mulder when you need them ??

Doesn't matter, I have paid the $ and hopefully all works as expected

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 626805

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 18:56

Thursday, Jul 18, 2019 at 18:56
Yep, all that means is they import from the same chinese factory.
Ebay is full of those sort of pics.
FollowupID: 900751

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 08:30

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 08:30
Dig Options load their units with better componentry apparently. Early chinese units drifted off stations....such was there quality. Hope you get a good unit. its pretty simple really, Alpine is 2k, chinese clone the unit and sell for 500. Looks thesame, but isnt. Some units are made for left hand drive vehicles, with buttons on passenger side...some of the larger units (16 inch) incorporate the climate controls, and you adjust the drivers side from the passenger control....and yes, most if not all of the aavailable units are manufactured in P.R.China
AnswerID: 626860

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 23:47

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 23:47
So it looks like you can get ExplorOz Traveller onto this via the Playstore if you want to use EOTopo maps on that screen.

I can't see if it runs its own SIM card to enable you to display online maps (such as EOTopo online) but you could do it using the miracast feature it has and then you'd use your phone data. EDIT: just noticed in the product heading it says built in Wifi , so yes it does. Ignore that.

One of the things I really like with the T'eyes we put into our 200 is the online capability without having to use any Bluetooth (it runs its own SIM - so you just get a plan for it). The SIM is only for data not phone so to make a call I still use Bluetooth through my phone but once we synced our devices they automatically connect for voice calls when we get into the car. I didn't see SIM in the specs for the Digi? EDIT: 2nd look, it does seem to say built in Wifi so assuming yes it does.

I actually like to use the split screen feature in ours - driving around Perth I like music on in the car (no ads, no radio, no talk) so I have Spotify streaming my playlists on the left, and ExplorOz Traveller on the left. I need to see a digital speedo which our car 200 doesn't have.

Here's the split screen on the T'eyes just for interest.

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 626926

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 23:53

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 23:53
Hi Michelle

I will be keen to put Traveller on it once I get it installed. So I will keep all informed how it goes

Graeme
VKS 1341

AnswerID: 626927

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 00:00
HI Graeme, I just editted my comments in the above reply too - as I had a 2nd look at your link to the product and it says built in Wifi so it must run its own SIM too. The T'eye spro10 seems to have double the RAM of the Digi though. Anyway, I'm sure it will work great too. Great to see a few more options easily available to purchase now. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900887

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Aug 22, 2019 at 19:16

Thursday, Aug 22, 2019 at 19:16
update for those who are interested

Despite the doom & gloom from some posters there was also some positive comments.

I went ahead with the digoptions unit. I DIY installed...some observations for those who are interested

* Had a few minor issues with harness compatibility...mainly brought about by lack of any instructions stating that 6 of the OEM connectors are not used for the new install...….( It was catered for in the harness supplied through 1 single main connector that branched out to two OEM connectors...the other OEM now just remain unconnected behind the unit out of play & sight)
* Would have been nice if a simple statement was there to save me ceasing the install over the weekend and contacting them and asking what was missing once Monday came!
* At the moment the only thing not working is my steering wheel controls...but they are addressing this and have been most helpful to date
* So as far as digoptions technical help and response goes it has to be 10 out of 10
* The unit is a delight to use with a clear responsive screen
* It looks 100% OEM in the dash
* I have only installed Oziexplorer….ExplorOz Traveller, Wikicamps, Torqpro and Spotify...they are working well
* My first attempt with our iPod was a funny one.....all the turn by turn instructions for navigation started reciting! wtf I thought :)…..some fiddling and it is working well with the covers showing etc during playback...not sure what I did but fiddling fixed it!

So in summary I am very happy...early days yes but as long as it has longevity then I will be a happy little camper for the price $704 including reverse camera
Actually the camera is the only thing I haven't got around to as yet but I'm sure there will be no issues there....its very straight forward.

VKS 1341

AnswerID: 627379

Sponsored Links