Gulf Trek

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 20, 2019 at 18:25
ThreadID: 138757 Views:4429 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
On a trip across the Savannah Way, I want to deviate via Lawn Hill. The Gulf Trek looks good but I see that KFC is closed permanently and also access via Bowthorn.
Can I Turn South 8 or so Kms from Doomadgee (near Gumhole) and pick up the route at the T junction (18 05 50s 138 32 03e)?
Any other suggested routes would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Bruno
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 14:54

Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 14:54
You have Gumhole to Lawn Hill or go through to just past Tirranna RH and down the Wills DR to Gregory Downs, pretty much the only options.
Safe travels
AnswerID: 626841

Follow Up By: Member - Bruno F - Monday, Jul 22, 2019 at 14:01

Monday, Jul 22, 2019 at 14:01
G'day Tony. Gumhole is preferred as I'm coming out of Lawn Hill near Tirranna. Roads I have on EO are all pretty confusing. Route I'm supposed to be following is just a blue line on my PC (sent for Memory Map). I reckon I'll head out of Doomadgee and look for a likely road after Gumhole!
Thanks for the info.
Bruno
FollowupID: 900811

Reply By: GG7777 - Monday, Jul 22, 2019 at 10:12

Monday, Jul 22, 2019 at 10:12
Bruno
Have done the Gumhole to Lawn Hill twice, but, not recently.
First South to north in 2006 enroute to Cape York, memories are of a very nice road and scenery.
Done again in mid 2015 north to south, again road conditions good. Camped on a creek crossing which still had water for a couple of nights and only had two or three cars go through. Peaceful. If you travel this route look out for a white painted cross on top of a hill to the the west of the track - memorial to a local pastoralist/stockman - very steep climb up to it, but, magnificent view of surrounding area. Nice stop under the trees at theLawn Hill Creek Crossing for a cuppa.
I haven’t done the other route suggested but would recommend this route as a nice trip.
Remember the fire at Adele’s Grove may have altered things there and sites at Lawn Hill must be prebooked by phone or online.
I am jealous and wish it was me travelling back in that country not wintering in cold Ballarat
Murray
AnswerID: 626848

Follow Up By: Member - Bruno F - Monday, Jul 22, 2019 at 14:11

Monday, Jul 22, 2019 at 14:11
G'day Murray.
It's pretty cold and damp here in Rockingham WA at present. Just over three weeks until we head North.
Wanted to stop at Lawn Hill on the way to Cape York as I had a day there last year (flew in on the RFDS Outback Air Race) but spent it fiddling with aircraft! I reckon the Adels Grove crew could do with a bit of support after the fire so I'm encouraging my mob (3 vehicles, 5 blokes) to camp there.
Thanks for the info. I'm now planning turning South somewhere near Gumhole fi I can find a likely road. Have optimistically put a few WPs into my trek.
Cheers,
Bruno
FollowupID: 900812

Follow Up By: GG7777 - Monday, Jul 22, 2019 at 19:44

Monday, Jul 22, 2019 at 19:44
Bruno
Turn off from memory very easy to spot, again from memory has signpost to Lawn Hill or maybe Camooweal it is just after crossing a large dry (in our case) riverbed.
You are making me even more jealous with the mention of Cape York!
Have a great and safe trip, the odometer will be a bit higher after Rockingham to the Cape and return. Our 2006 trip to the Cape was via Kowanyama and Pomperaaw, which was a very interesting way to get from Normanton/Kuranda to Musgrave, might be worth factoring in to the trip if possible.
Murray
FollowupID: 900817

Follow Up By: Member - Bruno F - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 13:49

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 13:49
Thanks again Murray
With that info, if I can't find the way, I'd better stay home!

FollowupID: 900820

Sponsored Links