Eotopo km distance between locations etc when offline?

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 09:59
ThreadID: 138793 Views:5910 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we have been a user of the eotopo raster maps for quite a few years now across various devices which now includes iOS also. The new shadings are a real improvement when reading the display in the 4wd on the go. We largely use the maps offline with no mobile phone reception. I think in the older version there used to be distances between towns etc to calculate road distances for fuel calculations, eta etc but I do not think they are there now.

When offline (no internet connection), how can you calculate the distance between towns, poi’s and a point on the map etc. I can only seem to get an “as the crow flies” measurement in kms which is not very accurate generally?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:45

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:45
Refer to the scale in bottom right of the map, this shows a scale bar and distance in km - we use this all the time. Each zoom level on the map will of course have a different scale. 1km, 5km etc.

We have just travelled 3000km in WA over 10 days and saw road distances on many roads but not all roads show distances.

Even offline you can tap any place marker and it will show distance from your current position, whilst offline this will be straight line this number is usually pretty darn close.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626861

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 11:48

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 11:48
Thanks Michelle, I have been using scale and straight line functionality but they are not always very accurate. Is this a feature you are planning to implement in the eotopo product for offline use or is it in the too hard basket?
FollowupID: 900834

Reply By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:22

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:22
I am currently planning a road trip across USA following Route 66 and using Google MY MAPS and Google Maps.

I looked and read about many navigator and all of them allow you to download the maps and work offline so I would assume that this one would do it as well.
AnswerID: 626862

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 20:28

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 20:28
A bit off-topic but relevant to your planning. If you are trying to do the authentic "historic" Route 66 (we did it in 2017), there are a couple of companion books that give the details of the bits that are still accessable, and without them you will be struggling. Contemporary 'net-based sources have ignored large parts, while lots of sections are now under the interstates. Can provide more info offline if you wish.
FollowupID: 900829

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:42

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:42
Thank Zippo, we have a few books and I have been surfing the net. Yesterday I found a My Map which has 1409 POI's between Chicago and Los Angeles.

We are driving from Niagara Falls to Chicago then following Route 66 but leaving it to go via Las Vegas and the San Francisco then down to LA.

FollowupID: 900833

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 18:05

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 18:05
Sam
Suggest you grab a copy of mapout from the appstore, the route creation tool will do what you want, no straight lines just tap where you want to go and it creates the route following the road and shows all the distances, must admit this tool leaves eotopo in its dust, (sorry Michelle).
AnswerID: 626865

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 19:58

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 19:58
Don't believe it could possibly have accurate, reliable, topographic offline maps of Australia and auto route offline via these so I've followed up... I've found an app by this name (free) in Playstore and downloaded it to my phone but its asking for server name - cannot get any further? do you have more details?
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900828

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 21:02

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 21:02
Can’t help with playstore but it is on the apple appstore called MapOut.
No the maps are not as detailed as eotopo the are the standard OSM variety, having said that they are pretty good visually they look great as they have a pseudo 3d effect.
The OP did ask specifically about the routing function and this is very easy and very quick to use in MapOut, hope you manage to find a copy , I’ve had mine a few years I think it cost about $20 .
FollowupID: 900830

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 13:08

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 13:08
For anyone interested here is a mapout youtube video, couple of years old but not much has changed
https://youtu.be/bcEfu41HnDI
FollowupID: 900894

Reply By: Member - Scruffy - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:33

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:33
Hi Sam,
I have always had the same problem and I believe it can be done via adding and inserting sections but complicated. I use wikicamps for all my trip planning and offgrid navigating. I use Traveller for position indication as you go....works well.

Regards
Scruffy
AnswerID: 626869

Follow Up By: Sam39 - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 11:50

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 11:50
Thanks will check out WikiCamps, the new version of there app has a few nice new features before but haven’t had a play as yet.
FollowupID: 900835

Reply By: Member BarryG - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 13:01

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 13:01
I run an iPad Mini and an iPhone XR.

The iPad runs EO Traveller (track up) and Memory Map (North up) in split screen mode. EO Traveller is set to close in view so that I can see immediate road direction in the next four or five kms (for passing opportunities). Memory Map (with Hema maps) is set to a much wider view and has good on-map notes. EO Traveller will log my travels using EO TrackMe.

The iPhone runs Wikicamps and MetroView. To navigate to the next camp, I select it in Wikicamps, select Get Directions and choose Metroview (costs $9.99 to buy and can be totally offline). MetroView has surprisingly good coverage of off-road tracks too (such as Anne Beadell, Gunbarrel and Gary Highways).

Maybe I go a little overboard, but it suits me!
AnswerID: 626876

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 16:20

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 16:20
Here's a few screen shots that I took whilst offline last week travelling in outback WA on way to Karijini and around etc. All are offline.

It is very easy to use the map when offline to find distance to anything you want - just press one of the Places and as per the screen shot you get the info.

You can also build Private Treks whilst online before you go if you specifically need routing guidance for every turn but I don't use that for general travelling - its good to do a bit of a plan, but if you deviate off the plan it's not so practical offline and if I do it, I only build Private treks for 1 day's travel at a time so that the timing all makes more sense.

We always travel solo and we deliberately plan our trips to go to areas we have never been. The app helped us find perfect camps without any symbols telling us where to go. It's the topographic detail and minor tracks that is astoundingly useful. I don't choose to leave campsite markers in places that might change due to weather conditions - one bush camp that is lush and perfect could be horrid in a few months time, but if people know how to use the maps to observe the terrain they can find their own camps just like we did. However, where there is a commercial campground, sure we'll ensure this is listed as a Place but I probably wouldn't aim to camp at any of these nowadays as they are full of other campers and that's not what we called ExplorOz - I just wish I had this level of mapping detail 20 years when we travelled for 2 years around Australia on our own - I wonder how we did it? LOL

On the issue of Wiki camps, I cannot understand how anyone can use these maps - totally useless! I think it is geared towards a different market and that's fine. We're not in competition with them. They aren't a map developer and its just lots of symbols on a blank screen most of the time for us so that's not much use. But if it is for others, that's fine for them. Its a free app for 7 days then you pay $8 or whatever. You get what you pay for.

I took some comparison shots at same place so show what Wiki Camps shows vs EOTopo (used in ExplorOz Traveller). See these below -

As you can see, same exact place but nowhere near the detail in Wiki camps as what you get on EOTopo. It was like this everywhere. I just gave up comparing, it was obvious to me it was useless.

EOTopo maps in our app show topographic map data to actually see the terrain and get a feel for where you are about to find a great river bed, or a rock - we discovered many great sites that are not listed on the maps - not on Wiki Camps, not even as Places in our app but that's the ideal situation because the reality of outback travel is that things happen and plans change - for us from day 1 my Private Trek plans went out the window as we had a fire and didn't make our first night's destination and had to readjust our next few days to reach our booking at Karijini 5 days later - but all good - we used the app to look for upcoming river beds, and interesting pois to help us as all my destinations were not achievable as soon as we got out of whack. In the end it was a blessing in disguise - we had much more open fires and really enjoyed ourselves.

Whilst it was a much needed family holiday, it was work the whole time for us too. We did a lot of testing - had the app loaded on 5 different devices, iPad, 2 Android phones, and our indash Android unit (Teyes) - wow it is just such an amazing device. The app worked perfectly on all devices - not a single glitch and perfect tracking the entire time (see our track log here - Karijini Family Trip - Track Log) however, I did find many areas of improvement needed in the app and a few small bugs were reported via email to us whilst we were away which we've amalgamated into a hit list.

First we dealt with bugs - which we fixed in a new update released yesterday v3.8.2 and all the new features David will do in the next update (perhaps 1-2 weeks) - sadly he has had a family emergency and the day after coming home, had to fly interstate to be with his elderly parents both in their mid 90's.

I've been testing v3.8.2 and the issues we knew about are fixed and now its just a matter of adding all the new features and adding tweaks, improvements I found were needed to make it even better.

Thanks for all those supporters of EOTopo maps and ExplorOz Traveller app. The more support we get, the more financial ability we have to continue development. Our business is only run by the two of us - we have no staff and we don't use any offshore developers, this is all done inhouse. We are very responsive to feedback and try to be as helpful as possible with technical support but most times people do just need to read the help/instructions and try using it and stop stressing about making treks. The app does everything offline and you don't need to pre plan as much as people think.

I think my main job now is to create more tutorials (and get better at it, they are so time consuming and hard to do). I'm not very good at it I think but I try. We just don't have the budget to get the professionals onto it, so sorry you have to make do with me!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 626879

Reply By: GarryR - Saturday, Jul 27, 2019 at 07:04

Saturday, Jul 27, 2019 at 07:04
You do a great job Michelle, it is a credit to both you and David. I would love to view a few more tutorials in the future as time permits you. This will help me greatly personally., as reading and understanding is a bit of a problem, where as tutorials are a better understanding. That's why Judy needs to correct my work before I send it
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626884

Reply By: Member - John A30 - Sunday, Jul 28, 2019 at 11:35

Sunday, Jul 28, 2019 at 11:35
Hey Michelle.

You are undeservedly hard on yourself. Your tutorials and written instructions get the point across clearly. It is a throughly professional operation, product and support, not matched by others.

Us users could help by putting in photos and comments on places that don’t have any or much.

Cheers
John A
AnswerID: 626895

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:28

Monday, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:28
Thankyou for your kind comments and support John. The job is endless and sometimes I feel I need 2 of me to keep up! All good, just happy if people like our products and help promote sales. It can be disheartening You are right though, more people should be updating Places...its super easy in the app offline or online or on the website.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900866

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 16:26

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 16:26
Hey Michelle,

I agree with John.

But maybe I'm missing something, I cannot see how to update a Place's info when off-line in Traveller.

Clearly you can view the description off line, but there is no Edit button. So, at the risk of displaying my ignorance, how do you do it?

Would it be possible to add an Edit button when viewing PLace info in Traveller? Could the button open a template that asks for all the info you (ie, EO) need - address, phone number, web address, description - all the stuff you ask for when you edit a place on-line? Then store that info locally on the device to be uploaded when back in service.

That way you could edit/update a place while "hot on the spot" rather than having to re-visit it on-line at possibly a much later date when some stuff could be forgotten.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900895

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 19:20

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 19:20
Hi Frank,
Because I get an email log of every synced place comment/review and new public place created, its easy just to post the missing info as a comment into the place. The app stores this when offline and automatically syncs this to the public database and sends me an email log which I work through daily and make edits etc.

the main issue is when people create new places - we don't want empty description and no photo new public places - so we ask people to prepare it all as a private place - only the person creating a place can enter the actual description field. They should add the stuff and keep it private only after adding photos etc and checking/tweaking should it be made public. Either way I check them - if rubbish I switch it back to private.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900898

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 20:12

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 20:12
Thanks Michelle. I wasn't sure about using the Comments option because all the comments I have read just describe people's experiences. They don't seem to update the "hard" info.

I will use the comments in the future when off line.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900901

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 22:11

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 22:11
Thanks Frank i see you've done a few already. I usually tidyup/remove the comments if they contain info i use to update the formal description so ill sort that out.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900902

Sponsored Links