Troup Carrier

Submitted: Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1388 Views:2174 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I'm certainly having a run today.

We currently travel whenever possible which is similar to those on this site, weekends and one or two longer trips a year. We currently use a custom set up in a GQ patrol but will be updating in the medium term. After much sole searching I had decided on a GU 4.2TD patrol wagon but someone suggested a Troup Carrier and while they look ideal space wise I have no other knowledge on these units. I know they are dearer and you get less inside for your $$ but I really know nothing about these vehicles. The future travels will hopefully be long term, months at a time and be towing an off road camper and used as a 4wd in a range of landscapes. Can anyone please give me there view on these vehicles. I really don't mind any info on pro's and con's of both, the more info the less chance of making a costly mistake.

As a side line thanks to the site operators for this unique site and to those that take the time to pass on their thoughts, I've not found a better site for no-nonsense technical well thought responses.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00
Ray,
The troopies are ideal for long outback journeys but they don't come close to the 4.2Gu .
I have had a GU 4.2 TD since new and I have been on many trips with Troopies, troopies are not all that good in mountain country.
The GU has not had a problem in 3 years and 105,000kms. It is excellent off road and is also excellent for outback trips.
The Gu is not as big as the troopy so it is really your personal decision, budget and needs.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Will
AnswerID: 4547

Follow Up By: Ray - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Will,

Thanks for your thoughts. Even though the suggestion was raised I still lean towards the GU as well.

Thanks
FollowupID: 1948

Reply By: John Harbor - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00
Yeah, I'd have to agree. stick with the nissan those troopy's wear out way to fast.......
I'm on my second one already....darn first one only did 720,000 kms.
Must have been that big heavy off road trailer that we've been towing around that made it wear out so fast.
Seriously though it sure is hard to argue with all the comercial users that buy them, ie mining companys, government departments, hire companys etc etc.
These people really do their homework.
I will say that the GU's etc and the 100 series machines etc are more car like and comfortable, but if I were to trust my life or my families on any one vehicle, it would be a troopy. Yup they are built like a fordson tractor, and will probly last just as long.
PS I only traded the first one cause I liked the new style grilles on the front... hi.. hi
Cheers John
AnswerID: 4906

Follow Up By: Ray - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks John,

It's a hard decision to make, wagon, ute or troupy. I guess they all have their pros and cons it's just a lot of money to part with and find out that it's just not right. I think I'll take a little more time and get other comments before I take the plunge. You certainly did well with yours and I guess your reasoning is why I thought they may make a long term reliable vehicle.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 2159

Sponsored Links