Nissan Navara reverse sensor issue

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 22:37
ThreadID: 138801 Views:6937 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I have recently purchased a 2019 Nissan Navara ST-X with a Nissan installed towbar and wiring. In every car I have previously owned, when the power plug from the trailer is connected, the rear sensors (beeping noise) are disabled (due to the trailer being right behind the car and automatically setting them off. My Navara appears not to do this so any time I put it into reverse with a trailer attached it goes mad beeping at me :€
I contacted Nissan who inform me that in the most recent model released, this is a new feature. ??????? Seems more of an oversight than a ‘feature’. I can’t help but think the person I dealt with at Nissan couldn’t be bothered looking into it properly and is just fobbing me off. Does anyone else have experience towing with a new Navara who also has this issue? Or did they screw up the trailer wiring?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 09:25

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 09:25
Tastpa
In 2011 I bought a 2011 Dmax and fitted their towbar a bit later. The base, if a flat 7pin, has 9 wires going into it. Two wires, one in and one out provide an negative path to earth the sensor unit. Internally in base there is two terminals, the outermost ones which are connected together by a magnetic reed switch in the base. The reverse sensor power is switched off by having the base lid OPEN and the plug in there (reed sw open). That means the small magnet in the lid is now removed from the relay set into the base and allows the reed switch to open, ie , non conducting turns off sensors.
Removing trailer plug and allowing the lid to close returns the magnet to near the reed switch and closes it again. The reed switch characteristics are: 'NO' or normally open, with no magnet and closed with a nearby magnet.
Your Navara setup may be the same. Expecting a Nissan person to bother or know how it works is a high expectation.
I am not sure if the Navara system has connection with it's CANBUS system wiring and that may be then a different switch off arrangement to what I have described above. Many vehicles use the same as the Isuzu because it is a trailer towing system norm.
Hope you sort it soon. It is painful to listen to.
AnswerID: 626868

Reply By: Raider28 - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 20:51

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 20:51
I have a 2017 Navara and mine does the same. I don't really find it an issue unless I'm having a real bad reversing day LOL.
AnswerID: 626881

Reply By: Member - FSH00 - Saturday, Jul 27, 2019 at 17:47

Saturday, Jul 27, 2019 at 17:47
Should be wired up as rmd’s post stated, take it back and make them fix it.
Work to live don’t live to work

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 626891

Sponsored Links