Prado plastic interior

Submitted: Monday, Jul 29, 2019 at 22:14
ThreadID: 138833 Views:5959 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello I have a new prado and can’t believe how easily the interior black plastic scratches/ scuffs and when it does it turns blue.
Does anyone know of a colour match interior touch up paint I can use to lessen the damage?

Cheers
Brent
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 11:46

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2019 at 11:46
I think you will find that all new cars are the same except the smart ones that use the same colour under the surface like my D-Max.
AnswerID: 626920

Follow Up By: Peter W9 - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 00:23

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2019 at 00:23
Same for my Pajero and the wife's Corolla. they both mark very easily. I have found that Meguiar's ultimate protectant dash & trim restorer is the best for hiding/covering the marks & believe me Iv'e tried everything.
FollowupID: 900889

Reply By: Rangiephil - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 10:51

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 10:51
If a scratch is so deep that it reveals the under colour , you can cover it up with Humbrol model paint in the correct colour.
I have fitted gauges etc by making brackets and painting them with model paint and it is almost impossible to detect.
Available at model shops.
AnswerID: 627000

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 22:17

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 22:17
Brent, have you tried a heat gun on the plastic? They're good for covering plastic scars.

Just use a narrow or small circular nozzle, raise the heat level to the point where the plastic starts to soften within about 15-20 secs of applying heat.

Once the plastic is softened, use a stainless putty trowel to smooth out any deep gouges, and finish with another sweep of heat.

Textured grain finish on the plastic is the biggest bugbear when trying to repair scratches - but Holts make a plastic textured grain pad you can use to re-install textured grain on plastic.

Some more info from Holts in the link below.

Holts - how to fix scratched interior panels

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 627014

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 11:48

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 11:48
Ron is quite right about heating to restore colour.
These plastic components are not layered as suggested above. The colour extends throughout the product. The colour change produced by scratching is actually a circumstance of deformation stress of the plastic and invariably causes whitening of the original colour so is most noticeable on darker products. Heating relaxes the stress and the colour normalises. But you need to be very careful on temperature or you may also lose any surface texture as Ron says.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 901020

Sponsored Links