120 Prado/ risk of water ingestion with factory B/Bar

Submitted: Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:29
ThreadID: 13884 Views:1868 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
Further info on this topic ........... The Service Manager of my local dealer got back to me on this, as he said he would. The head Toyota Engineer/Tech. recently spent the day at the dealership giving advise on many vehicle issues, including the water ingestion issue on the 120. His responce ( also now the offical Toyata stand ) was that Toyota have received no reports or claims of water/engine damage from anyware nationaly, at this time, and untill they do, they have no intentions of doing anything.
Although not a resolution, to his credit, the Service Manger said he will provide me with a written document confirming that I have have brought this matter to his attention and that he has informed Toyota. Who knows ... I may need it in the future.
He still suggests that all current 120 owners or prospective ones, continue to inundate the Toyota Customer Service Line and dealerships with questions.
Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 14:08

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 14:08
Yep thats great penny pinching from toyota, oh what a feeling...

Toyo would know all about the problem, they are just doing the same as all car companies, deny all knowledge and frustrate the owners.. At least the service manager thinks this is crap as well and is making sure you are somewhat covered with a letter .Buy him a beer...

It may be worth while finding out who has manufactured the bars in Aus for toyo, and approach them as well. When i was at holden they had to do a recall on towbar tounges and it sent the company who made them to the wall.. So the original manufacturer might want to pull their finger out early on in the process.

The only 'solution' so far as i understand is to fit a snorkel, so maybee be ready to hit toyo for a snorkel fitted under warranty.

Good luck Baz
AnswerID: 64063

Follow Up By: DrewT - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:21

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:21
took my prado in for some minor warranty work today & asked them to also review this water ingestion issue. even left them with a copy of the issue per the LCOOL website.

well, they have completely replaced both wheel liners and trimmed them to "Toyota Specifications". hence they are now trimmed to the degree shown at LCOOL .... previously mine were trimmed even more!!

service manager says there is no reduction in the wading capacity now that the liners are trimmed to Toyota specs. well good on them for at least bringing the liners back to toyota spec, but they weren't interested in any of the issues raised in the LCOOL article

again, if anyone has a solution to this other than fitting a snorkel i would be glad to hear about it

drew.thornton@txu.com.au
FollowupID: 325503

Sponsored Links