Tesla Model X ...SUV

Submitted: Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 20:20
ThreadID: 138864 Views:5279 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
OK i'm going to stick my neck out and post about this vehicle.. now don't over react, I think we all will understand this vehicle is not a true 4X4 as most of us have...ie Toyota Landcruiser . but honestly I have fell in love with it, I love the Falcon Wing doors , and many of the features it has, trying hard to win the lotto, they are not cheap...but yes they are 4 wheel drive and have traction control, I'd like to try and tackle the Simpson Desert with one, get it fully charged up at Birdsville and head for Mt Dare , (477.2 km) via French Line, Model X has a range of 523 km, but I would have a mate travelling in another 4x4 with a top quality diesel Generator just in case, those dunes would probably eat up a bit extra power, Now as I said it is 4x4, motor in the front axle and one in the rear axle. Oh and by the way, it will thrash a Supercharged Mustang over the 1/4 mile, do a you tube search for the Tesla Drag racing... as it comes of the showroom floor .. So here's a link of one playing around in the mud .. I think they come with 22" wheels that in my opinion would be ideal for sand... why... because my memory goes back to 1961/2 when we moved to the Irrigation scheme near Waikerie , SA Dad had a Vanguard Space Master with 16" wheels and it went any where in that river sand, the Irrigation Board had a Zephyr Ute with 13" wheels, it was always getting bogged ,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 20:29

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 20:29
Completely unrelated to your Post Doug, just nice to see that you are still out there and doing well.

I have very fond memories of you showing us around the remnants of the Signals Base at Mt Bundy Station.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 626989

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 21:31

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 21:31
Hey good to hear from you mate.. lot of water gone under Adelaide River Bridge since I last saw you.. if ever heading to Orange NSW don't hesitate to call in..
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900949

Follow Up By: b1b - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 19:44

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 19:44
As GB said, good to see you back here. Still missing the history lessons which have given me some good stuff to look for. Guess the poor old troopy is almost due for a wash and vacuum?
b1b
FollowupID: 900972

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 20:30

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 20:30
OK now here's a clean one... but no perving ...lol, love those doors

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 626990

Reply By: Rangiephil - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 20:41

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 20:41
good luck with that.
Just don’t clout the battery pack underneath too hard on any dunes or you will learn about fires that don’t go out for a week.
AnswerID: 626991

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 21:24

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 21:24
Seems many people talk about a Tesla fire, but don't talk about the petrol engined car fires.. I'm not a Greenie Climate change fanatic, I just like what I see and what I have studied about Tesla ...lol there's even one floating around the Earth and Sun in outer space ... anyhow here's a link on the subject..Busting EV Myths #1: The Burning Tesla
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900948

Reply By: Rangiephil - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 21:54

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 21:54
The point is that unlike petrol fires Lion fires cannot be easily extinguished and may reignite after looking to be out.
It was reported last Saturday that the Chinese government wasconsidering banning lion batteries in cars after a series of fires in Tesla’s and another Chinese based vehicle.
This cannot happen as lifepo4 batteries are almost twice the weight of lion and bigger.Tesla 100kw approx 640 kg lifepo4 about 1000kg.
There was another article today that a European fire brigade has developed a special container that after fire cars are dunked in for a week to ensure they do not reignite.
The effect may be that Tesla and others may have to further derate their batteries.
BTW cars which lose coolant do not explode as professed by the slightly biased quote , they just stop.
AnswerID: 626992

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 08:08

Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 08:08
Likely gets those distance figures from the perfect world test course going downhill with a tail wind. Whack it in a sand environment like the desert with it getting up and down hundreds of sand dunes that are badly chopped up from those that don't deflate thier tyres, or think 25psi is a low tyre pressure, and it would be interesting to see just how far in the real world it gets....take plenty of fuel for the genny would be my suggestion. I look forward to the trip report, or better still get someone to sponsor the trip and do a doco about it for us to see either your success or failure, would be a good watch IMO.
AnswerID: 627019

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 19:29

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 19:29
Thanks Mate.. yeh I also thought about those type of tyres for deflation, could probably fit normal wheels and tyres , but as I said in the main post about the bigger diameter wheels compared to 13" wheels, maybe they would be ok, maybe still create corrugations .. I see someone mentioned using up power up a dune but the Tesla re-generates power back into the Battery going down the dune providing you can take right foot of the power pedal.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901028

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 08:25

Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 08:25
Nice thought but it's too low and the tyres are too low profile. I think the outback would quickly turn it into an expensive junk pile, shaking it to bits and bludgeoning it with rocks. Not many car makers really know how to make a car that can stand up to the sort of punishment our country out there can dish up. That Tesla looks like it's more suited to a country lane into the polo tournament car park.
AnswerID: 627020

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 14:03

Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 14:03
BTW an unsupported Simpson crossing by EV has already been done by a bloke in a Suzuki and lots of solar panels!
I would like to see a model x do it like that.
You would need LOTS of solar panels.
AnswerID: 627032

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 20:18

Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 20:18
And the Tesla might be an AWD, but it's not a 4WD.
FollowupID: 901008

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 19:36

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 19:36
Bugger, that put's my idea out the window.. hey Gronk.. most 4x4's are only 2 wheel drive.. 1 in the front and 1 in the rear, if the vehicle has diff locks both ends then it's a true 4 wheel drive ... my old Troopie has 2 lockers. and the good part is they get you further into the s**t before you really go down...lol
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901029

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 19:47

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 19:47
Ha ha, I think the AWD versus the 4WD has been done a few times on every forum, but with the right computer smarts an AWD could in fact drive all 4 wheels at the same time, but I don't know of one that does ?
FollowupID: 901030

Sponsored Links