Old Strzelecki Track

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 18:58
ThreadID: 138876 Views:4328 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, 30 years ago I drove the old Strzelecki track which started from where the Strzelecki Creek crosses the current Track (now a camp ground... I think), it then passed Tinga Tingana, then past Merty Merty station up to Innaminka.

It followed the creek almost religiously. I want to do it again but while I can see it on some maps, it seems that it is no longer accessible.

I see the old Strz is now classed from Merty Merty. Is there still a track along the creek on the northern section up to Merty Merty?

It was a great drive!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 20:24

Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 20:24
I think it was realigned by the gas companies ages ago to get away from the creek. It's still marked on exploreoz Topo but the only sign of it on Hema is the line of bench marks that follow the old track. Ive never sighted it on any of our trips but there are little goat tracks going off everywhere up that way
AnswerID: 627047

Reply By: Mikee5 - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2019 at 08:29

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2019 at 08:29
I drove from Innamincka to Merty Merty 10 years ago. South of there is clossd now part of Merty Merty. Was a good but slow drive, with caravan.
AnswerID: 627091

Reply By: Member - Neil B (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2019 at 16:26

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2019 at 16:26
Thanks guys for the reply.. As I remember that southern section was the best part.

We came across a couple of Jackaroos who had got themselves sand bogged, They were traveling in a Holden station wagon. They had pulled out their stuff, billy etc and were have a relaxing time. They just figured someone would come along to help them out. They were good young fellas, had a good yarn and help them along.

Life was a lot simpler back then and lots of fun. Pity that part of the track is not still accessible.
AnswerID: 627100

Sponsored Links