History of Geodic Networks in Australia

Submitted: Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 09:32
ThreadID: 138879 Views:4123 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good Morning Everyone

As you may or may not know, my son is a Licensed Surveyor, has done extensive surveys all over Australia and overseas, and a couple of his work mates have made this great little video.

As far as I know, it’s the first time that this type of easy to understand video has been made.

I found it very interesting and I hope you do also.

History of Geodic Networks in Australia.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 14 Moderator

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 09:56

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 09:56
Great video Stephen and thanks for sharing. Great reference information as I embark on exploring OZ with yet another navigation tool.
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 627057

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 10:11

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 10:11
Hi Paul

Yes we found it very interesting and anyone with an interest in this field should find it helpful.

Enjoy you travels around our great Nation.

Safe travels

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901017

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 13:14

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 13:14
Thanks for sharing. My brother is an Engineer and has been working with GeoScience Australia for some years. He has previously worked in the seismic monitoring department but has just changed roles and is now in the GPS division and is on the team that is designing and surveying the locations for the additional GPS nodes that will bring increased GPS accuracy to consumers. He advised us yesterday that they just switched on the first stage of accuracy improvement. Great news for all.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 627064

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 13:20

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 13:20
Hi Michelle

Yes it is very interesting in the way that things are changing.

They claim that pithing a few years, and the upgrades in GPS data and satellites, that the average hand held GPS without any changes could be accurate to within 1 metre.

The gear that my son uses is on the other hand far more expensive (like starting at $70,000) and uses satellites that are not available for the standard GPS and they get accuracies within millimetres.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901021

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 13:26

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 13:26
Yes but that same accuracy is now being rolled out to consumers you see. We now should be getting accuracy to cms.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901022

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2019 at 13:04

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2019 at 13:04
All this talk takes me back to the 1990's when I was part of the team rolling out the differential GPS systems Australia wide for AMSA. We were getting cm accuracy back then and we were working around Bill Clinton's selective availability at the time. Of course the guaranteed accuracy and the actual accuracy were never the same thing and when talking about the context of something the size of a ship, rather moot. Exciting times until they turned off S.A.
The aus 86 datum changed about the same time and we got quite adept at navigating the 200 odd metres up the track to find 'missing' fishing marks etc when different datums were used to share secret spots. It's all a bit pedestrian now, and small boats can nick your fishing spot's GPS location with a radar from afar - where's the fun in that?
FollowupID: 901051

Sponsored Links