Birdsville Track

Submitted: Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1389 Views:1737 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day! Im setting off to head up the Birdsville Track on Sunday, and heading out to the Simpson Desert, i was wondering if anyone has been up there recently to give a recent report?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gypsy Helen - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
Rik, I have just got back from a trip up and back the Birdsville track. I took an extra spare wheel, but had no trouble with tyres. Road conditions are good, not much trouble up as far as Mungerannie. After that there are some sand/bulldust patches and some very stony patches, but no trouble if you drive carefully and keep alert.
If you haven't been before, try a "hot tub" at Clayton Wetlands campground 53kms north of Marree, another good camp place with showers and toilets is Mungerannie - down by the wetlands - and an evening in the Mungerannie pub with an excellent dinner and good company is a must.
Don't forget to go to the information centre at Birdsville and the museum.
Have fun.
AnswerID: 4594

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
Rick, road conditons were just updated today. We were in the area ourselves for all of June. We travelled most of the roads around the area and did a double crossing of the Simpson so have done both the Rig Road and the French Line in their entirety just a week ago. Also travelled the Inside Track - its all there.
AnswerID: 4618

Sponsored Links