Caravan Suspension

Submitted: Friday, Aug 09, 2019 at 14:06
ThreadID: 138900 Views:3814 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2005 Golf Outback caravan and trying to find details of the suspension for an upgrade does anybody have any technical detail or know where to find some?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter M93 - Friday, Aug 09, 2019 at 14:48

Friday, Aug 09, 2019 at 14:48
Hi Rusty,
What is your van doing or not doing in regards to suspension?
Offroad van suspension is generally over engineered. It is pretty tough stuff as long as you are not leaping off mountains with it.
If stability either on or off road is your issue, than shocks are your first port of call. Most issues with suspension are caused by shock absorber failure. Second take a look at all your bushing. Springs and control arms don't often have issues unless they have been damaged. It is not wise to raise ride heights on vans as the change in your centre of gravity doesn't end well.
I am only guessing at what your issues are and have just touched on some common solutions to common issues, which you would already looked into.
If can give me more details about what is actually going on or what you want to achieve, I may be able to help in more detail.
Cheers, Peter (Suspension Designer, Spring Maker ret)
AnswerID: 627134

Reply By: Member - Rusty - Friday, Aug 09, 2019 at 14:51

Friday, Aug 09, 2019 at 14:51
No problem at the moment but I am currently over ATM and trying to see if I can get an upgrade found an engineer but he need specifications to see if an upgrade plate can be put on.
This is becoming more of a focus from the authorities and worried about getting booked!
AnswerID: 627135

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 14:41

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 14:41
No insurance cover either.

To upgrade the suspension is the easy part whether the chassis, tow hitch can safely support more weight it is another story. The brakes would have to be inspected as they may need increasing in size then the rims may not be large enough to go over them Also the rims and tyres will have to be checked they can support the extra weight. A lot of time work, maybe money have you had a serious look at what your carrying and if it is all really needed.
FollowupID: 901198

Reply By: Al-one - Friday, Aug 09, 2019 at 19:38

Friday, Aug 09, 2019 at 19:38
Hello Rusty,
My suggestion would be to contact Andrew, the owner of Aussie Escape at Strathpine in Queensland. Andrew originally worked at Arrow Caravans who used to be a major retailer of the original Golf caravans. Aussie Escape is a successful business repairing and selling new and secondhand vans. Andrew would be very familiar with Golf vans. Just for the record, I have no connection with Andrew or Aussie Escape at all.
Cheers,
Bill
AnswerID: 627143

Sponsored Links