90 Series TD Starter Motor

Submitted: Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 14:45
ThreadID: 13891 Views:1463 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys
Just wondering if any TD prado owners have had issues with the starter motor? Mine basically melted the other day (I have only had it 6 weeks) and I am not totally sure why exactly. Its all under warranty and toyota have been pretty good but I didn't have my truck for the long weekend, NOT IMPRESSED!
Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 15:03

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 15:03
I have heard of problems with 1kz-TE starter motors, mainly to do with Surfs, it's possible the same problem has carried on to Prado's, however I don't belive it was real common. Normally they just start to become very hard to start and it sounds and feels like you have a flat battery, but battery changes to not fix it, only a recon starter motor.
AnswerID: 63775

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 17:44

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 17:44
You'll like this one.. (though not related to your issue...)

We were on Fraser for two weeks just after Christmas this year - after about a week, the starter motor on my 90 series seized. I think just too much salt, sand and fresh air for it!!

We towed it to the mechanic at Eurong - fun trip, noting tides etc - who charged me $60 plus a carton of beer.

The carton of beer was because he couldn't get the nuts off the starter - he asked me how I had done them up in the past - I replied that I'd had the car since new (02), and no-one had had the starter off to my knowledge..

He had bust four spanners trying to get it off - finally did it by jacking the car up, lodging a spanner on the appropriate nut, lowering the car, spanner etc onto a log, and then getting all his mates to bounce the bull bar!!!

Not sure he was the full quid - anyone who has spoken to him will sympathise - at least he got me going though!!
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 63792

Follow Up By: Tim - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 18:16

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 18:16
Its a scary thought but I think I know who you are talking about, my mate "damaged" his GQ and needed a new oil filter and 9(?) litres of oil and that bloke was the first person we approached for assistance. After talking to him for a few minutes we decided to source the gear from rainbow beach instead.
Tim
FollowupID: 325065

Reply By: Phil G - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 22:54

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 22:54
Haven't heard of any probs with the TD Prados, but they have only been out since 2000. Some of the older V6's have the usual toyota problem of dirty solenoid contacts, with that dreaded click sound when you're trying to start it.
AnswerID: 64020

Sponsored Links