W10 GPS enabled device?

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 15:10
ThreadID: 138925 Views:6579 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Either laptop, notebook or tablet.

It should come with the GPS internal and not use external antennae with 'hail mary' type connectivity.

Only type I seem to find is secondhand toughbooks with the GPS-4G module fitted and these seem a bit elderly with low hertz chips and average screen specs.
I'm keen on W10 pro but struggling to find new/second devices to suit me.

I use Garmin Montana 680T's and base camp for navigation but would like to add something more visual as a backup instead of paper maps.

I have oztraveller on a W10 lap top now for planning but it has no GPS and is too large to take on my style of travelling. Also not functional now due to a software glitch related to not being GPS enabled?

What are folk using for on the outback track devices that may see quite a bit of robust handling?(any type of opsys?)

Regards......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 15:48

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 15:48
I use a Panasonic Toughbook paired with a Garmin GPS and connected via Bluetooth. For mapping I use Oziexplorer with Hema Maps.

I chose the Toughbook for its robustness and utility of use and whilst it does come with an internal GPS antenna, I find the set-up I have with the Garmin is perfect - no drop outs...

The unit is mounted on the dash...and you can read about it here.

Good luck with your deliberations...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 627226

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 16:27

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 16:27
Easy,... simply buy a bluetooth GPS about $150 & connect using the free software GPS Complete, then it all works.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627228

Reply By: Gramps - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 17:07

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 17:07
Get a Samsung tablet and Oziexplorer (Android). Works a treat without external GPS hassles.

Regards
AnswerID: 627229

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 20:10

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 20:10
X2. Get some external memory to hold your maps - there are heaps available for OziExplorer, and also get EO Traveller and run both together for a knockout recording/navigation package. No mechanical stuff like hard drives to get knocked about on rough roads (though an SSD would address ghat in a lappy).
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901214

Reply By: Member - 2208mate - Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:00

Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:00
Many thanks for that folks, enough there to keep me happy!
AnswerID: 627291

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:09

Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:09
I've got a Dell 7390 2-in-1 laptop - it has the option of fitting a 4G/GPS module to it internally. I haven't done it but it was an option when I bought it.

If you're after a new laptop perhaps check some of the "business" ones as they have more options. There are a few 4G "cards" that come with a GPS chipset as well.

Beware of the cheap Android/Win10 tablet/laptops from China - some of them advertise having a GPS chipset but actually don't (not sure if its malicious or just copy/paste errors).

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627292

Reply By: Dave B18 - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:58

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:58
Run a Lenovo E8 Android tablet in the vehicle with OziExplorer and 128Gb microSD card. The apps like WikiCamps are much easier to use mobile on a tablet, and lot less problems with mounting and weight. Lenovo tablet has the GPS built in.
Modified a rear seat screen holder to hold the tablet.
https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/tablets/android-tablets/tab-series/c/tab-series#compareSection
Virtually dumped the use of laptop now completely. Use a Lenovo P10 tablet with Bluetooth keyboard and does virtually everything and more than a laptop with more suitable Apps for travelling.
AnswerID: 627333

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 13:46

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 13:46
X2, but I use a Samsung 9.7 Android tablet. Little use for a laptop now.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901306

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 17:24

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 17:24
I also purchased the Lenovo Tab E8 for our recent trip. It worked without a hitch running ExploreOz Traveller, dumping the data via my phone as a hotspot our via wifi when avaialble. One thing though, it's tediously slow to boot compared with my Samsung Galaxy S7 and takes several minutes to load the ExploreOz Traveller app. It is also the most power hungry tablet or phone I have ever used. Connected to a high capacity JayCar usb adaptor (the sole device), it would not stay charged unless you turned it off every time you stopped and turned off the ignition. Without doing this or charging via an additional Li ion battery it would show low battery by the end of the day, just putting it to sleep also worked but the charge would be <70% by the end of a drive 6 to 7 hours. But for $129 compared with ~$1000 for any off the new Samsung tablets one can't complain too much. The slow start up did irritate me though, it wasn't much faster than a five year old Galaxy Tab 2.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 901310

Follow Up By: Dave B18 - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 18:32

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 18:32
You have a problem somewhere. Unlikely to be the tablet hardware. You have to have a 12VDC charger problem or a cable problem. The tablet couldn't possibly use that much power - a technical impossibility. To drain the unit like that overnight you have poorly programmed or rogue program that is continually processing In the background.
I have extensive experience with the E8 in industrial applications, and can assure you, what you describe just doesn't happen with the E8 hardware. We are running these units in heavy processing for the tablet and use the standard 240V charger that comes with the Lenovo E8's. If what are claiming happens with your E8, the standard 240V charger wouldn't have a hope in hell. We also have some of these units running on 10Ah 12V batteries in the field with 20W panels. To date and being winter none have run out of power - or even come close as they phone home everyday with their data. If the start-up is slow check what is running unnecessarily at start-up and disable those unecessary Apps if you cannot uninstall them.
On a value for money basis the Lenovo E8 is excellent. The E7 has no GPS and reduced screen resolution, and no good use in the vehicle.
FollowupID: 901312

Follow Up By: Member - 2208mate - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 20:16

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 20:16
TX for that fellows, price is certainly a winner even with buying another subscription for traveler ect
FollowupID: 901314

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Monday, Aug 19, 2019 at 01:01

Monday, Aug 19, 2019 at 01:01
The charging problem is probably because the tablet doesn't talk nicely to the car charger.

There are a few different charging protocols around - the main one these days is QC3 (Quick Charge 3) which the Lenovo supports:

https://support.lenovo.com/ie/en/solutions/pd105083

Try getting a QC3.0 charger and see how you go. Even if your normal charger is capable of 3A the tablet may not take advantage of it if it doesn't support the right protocols.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 901316

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Aug 19, 2019 at 09:25

Monday, Aug 19, 2019 at 09:25
Thx Dave and Peter,
I’ll follow up on your suggestions. The $129 E8 is wifi only and doesn’t appear to support rapid charging. I have two 240v rapid chargers, a Samsung and a Motorola (which you might expect to have the same protocol ), both are for phones though and might not have the capacity. I did try the rapid charge port on the battery and the tablet didn’t indicate it was fast charging. I tried three different cables and two 12 sockets and three USB chargers as well as removing all other devices. I suspect some ‘parasitic’ app. Might try deleting all apps but EO Traveller and see if anything changes.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 901318

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Aug 19, 2019 at 21:19

Monday, Aug 19, 2019 at 21:19
There are charge cables, and there are genuine OEM charge cables.

Make sure you avoid the cheap eBay rubbish, the Chinese are good at copying stuff to make it look genuine, but it never is - and you'll find the cheap Chinese "genuine" cables usually have all sorts of problems, from thinner wires to dodgy wire connectors, to poorly-made connector pins.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 901325

Follow Up By: Dave B18 - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2019 at 05:30

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2019 at 05:30
There is really no issue buying USB cables from eBay if you stick to the branded cables. Manufacturers like Mcdodo, Baseus, Blitzwolf are all top quality cables and other USB equipment.
The USB cables that automatically switch off are only available on eBay or Banggood. Never seen them available in Australia.
When you live in rural areas everything comes online from eBay, Chemist Warehouse, Bunnings, KMart or Target.
FollowupID: 901327

Follow Up By: Member - 2208mate - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2019 at 14:34

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2019 at 14:34
Hi Dave B18.

I got a Lenovo Tab E8 and can't find a section there to use the inbuilt GPS to acquire GPS coods, and to turn the GPS on and Off.

Does it have this ability or does it only integrate with a mapping app ect?
FollowupID: 901433

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2019 at 16:01

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2019 at 16:01
The gps should be on by default, it's called location. Go to settings->scroll down to personal and location should be the first item. Default is 'ON/ high accuracy'.
If you open google maps and hit the gun sight like icon you should zoom to your location. If you want your coordinates you need another app eg Google earth, Geo Tracker, GPS Waypoints Navigator ...
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 901435

Sponsored Links