Flinders Ranges

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 15:44
ThreadID: 138955 Views:4625 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I'm looking at spending a week or two camping with the family in the Flinders Ranges national park. I haven't been before and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good campgrounds/sites to stay at? Was also wondering if the 4wd access sites at Brachina East would be accessible in my subaru outback(not a real 4wd). Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GarryR - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 16:17

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 16:17
Rawnsley Park Station and Merna Morna Stations are both a good stay. I have bush camped at Rawnsleys Park 3 times and Merna Morna twice. Both cater for caravans with good camp kitchens and amenitie, as well as cater for those that wish to stay further in the bush settings, with only a small drive or walk to the main amenities area. Rawnsleys Park also sells fuel, along with a small general store.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627337

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 16:42

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 16:42
Hi Tom

If you have never been before, you are in for a real treat.

It is one area that regardless how many times you have been there, it is always so awe inspiring and you ask yourself why has it been so long since your return visit.

The only time that you need a true four wheel drive, is on the true four wheel drive tracks that are available throughout the Flinders, eg Arakapenna, etc

We have been regular visitors to the area nearly 50 years, and all roads were dirt and our vehicles were falcon utes Toyota Corolla and Celtics which had next to no ground clearance at all.

Your Subaru will be fine anywhere through the major drives, just slow down and take your time. We have camped in many great locations throughout the Flinders, with good camping at Wilpena, Rawnsley Park and Merna Mora.

A bit of a trip.......if you enjoy bushwalking, the St Mary Peak hike is great, but you should do it while you can, and the same as visiting Sacred Canyon. The locals up there are going to jump on the band wagon, just like the climb at Ayers Rock, saying that St Mary Peak is a sacred site and want the climb banned, and want to put in place a paid Aboriginal tour to visit Sacred Canyon....so get in while you can.

For me, the best preserved mine ruins to see are at Nuccalina, even though it is sign posted Four Wheel Drive only, we once met a Holden Berina out there...so you can see if that was there, you will be fine.

I can rave on and on, but you will have a ball in the Flinders.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627338

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 16:59

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 16:59
I recently stayed at Rawnsley Park Campground and thought it was very good. Wilpena Campground does however offer direct access to Pound walks and has Telstra reception, Rawnsley has an Optus small cell. Two friends from my photography club stayed (on separate occasions) at Edeowie Station stay and were very impressed but I think it's only bush camping.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627339

Reply By: Member - Steve R (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 17:04

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 17:04
Don't forget your fly nets as they can be particularly bad at times.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627340

Reply By: Tom O2 - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 20:13

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 20:13
Thanks for the replies everyone. Really looking forward to the trip.
AnswerID: 627370

Sponsored Links