Recording trip details on a map

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 13:01
ThreadID: 138965 Views:3957 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, having been advised about the search function, not sure if I am using the right words or not but can not find anything. I wish to have a map of Oz with my trip details on it, not tracking as such, as I visited a lot of places before I got my SPOT tracker. I wish to plot old trips and places visited, also it has to work on a laptop not a smart phone. Has anybody got such a program that is easy and user friendly. TIA.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 14:07

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 14:07
Hi John

I use and highly recommend OziExplorer.

With your maps loaded, you can then see where you want to go and where you have been and great for trip planning.

If you connect it with a GPS, either, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, hand held or what ever, it will record your travels and give you real time mapping as you drive and then you can do many things after that.

You will no doubt get lots of answers, but for me, OziExplorer will not let you down and I have used it out in the field for around 19 years.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627363

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 15:00

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 15:00
Stephen, wanting to plot places visited in the past, use SPOT to track current trips, wanting to put all the trips on one map, the map attached is from a app called Trackmytrip, but only works on smart phones, which I don't have.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 901333

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 15:24

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 15:24
John

OziExplorer will do everything you want and a lot more.

I always save every track that we drive, and any important waypoints along the way.

The only trouble with SPOT (yes I know what they are and also use a SPOT 3)
is that the data is only recorded every 5 minutes in my case. When you look at the data that it collects, either on SPOTWALLA or on the SPOT page, you never get nice clear lines on a map.

The image below is from OziExplorer with the EOTOPO 144k map loaded. The blue lines (this colour I selected, but you can customise what ever colour you want) are the actual path that I drove and recorded by OziExplorer and all those yellow squares with numbers are the waypoints that I recorded.

The area is around the Oodnadatta Track area and Coober Pedy. when you go in at 100%, you will see even more data.

So from these images, you will not get any better than this type of track recording.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901334

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 15:13

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 15:13
Manually creating a trip you've done in the past, is just the same as creating a route for a trip you intend to do - ie you are not using live recorded data. What you are asking for is a trip plan routing tool.

This feature does exist in our app ExplorOz Traveller - which is available for Windows 10 laptops so perhaps this is worth looking at.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 627364

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 17:51

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 17:51
Michelle, thanks, once again as I am a technological troglodyte, WIN 7 here only.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 901339

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 18:49

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 18:49
Understood - just be aware that Win 7 reaches end of life in January 2020, which means no future security updates or fixes so you will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. I know you feel like you're not technical but going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10 otherwise you are just making things worse for yourself. Otherwise, ditch the PC and stick with a phone/tablet that does everything in the one device to save money and keep it simple.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901341

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2019 at 10:08

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2019 at 10:08
Another fan of OziExplorer.
I record my trip for reference purposes and nothing else comes close for accuracy.

I also use ExplorOz Traveler and Spot Messanger, both linked back to my EOTrackMe profile, but the abbreviated recording positions show a series of straight lines, rather than a continuous track like OziExplorer does.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 627565

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2019 at 12:34

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2019 at 12:34
In my experience, ExplorOz Traveller records a continuous track like OziExplorer. It is possible to see a series of short straight lines if you zoom into magnified street detail, but for the purpose of recording your travels on a map it is more than adequate - plus its other uses and features, of course.

Here's an example:

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901639

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2019 at 13:21

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2019 at 13:21
Example of same trip recorded on two devices on the same day. One a Spot Gen3 with (1.5 min recording intervals) the other an iPad running Exploroz Traveller App.

You can see the difference in the recording of tracks at Zoom 15. ExplorOz follows the actual road.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 901640

Sponsored Links