79 Series dash light

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 09:30
ThreadID: 139011 Views:7016 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a problem when I engage 4 wheel drive the green dash light does not appear . It is probably the switch that is on the side of the gearbox . Also the diff locks will not engage just flash red . My question is are they dependant on each other ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ray C11 - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 12:33

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 12:33
Have you tested the Globe? start with the simple stuff of globes and fuses. 4wd is in the transfer case and the diff lock is in the diff, so I would say they are independent. good luck, Ray

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627510

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 13:12

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 13:12
If the power to both systems happens to be supplied from the same power source/fuse, then both will not display even if you have 4wd selected manually, the diffs require electric switching so it would seem a power problem, even though the 4wd is in the transfer and the diffs are in the axles housings. They can be related from a control/alerting perspective.
FollowupID: 901537

Reply By: Member BarryG - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 12:41

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 12:41
When you first turn to key to the On position, usually all of the globe indicators light up until you move to Start. If the green 4WD one comes on, it's not the globe.
AnswerID: 627511

Reply By: diver09 Dan - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 15:18

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 15:18
I have fixed the problem . Switch into gearbox cleaned { loose or bad connection }Diff locks must operate through this switch ,as they will engage now .
AnswerID: 627512

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 16:29

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 16:29
Well done, diver09 Dan.

Now can you come and fix my Webasto diesel cooktop :-)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 901544

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 15:45

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 15:45
I don't have any trouble with my 4WD light coming on, but occasionally it doesn't want to switch off, but just needs the lever pushed completely forward.

While on the Canning recently, the rear diff lock wouldn't engage after a minute or two, and a bit of gentle forward & reverse, so I switched it off and didn't use it. Have just gone down and checked both diff locks, the rear one just flashed & wouldn't engage at all, while the front one engaged immediately with a distinct sound. I wouldn't use them at all, unless both front & rear lights had stopped flashing, the potential for horrific, and expensive, damage is too great.

The rear diff lock set up is a bit of a dog's breakfast! Wires partially exposed, and a stone/rock guard that is barely strong enough for light gravel. When my ute was only a couple of months old, I travelled up the Strzelecki and hit a large rock mixed in with some Road base they were spreading on one section. Didn't notice anything until later in the year, when we were travelling on a wet gravel road. A number of lights were flashing, including the 2 diff lock lights. Dealer suggested a cost of $1200plus for repairs, but they managed to keep cost under a grand, no warranty either.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 627513

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 17:34

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 17:34
Heck Bob, that cost is pretty steep to repair a couple of wires which might have been damaged or dirty connections.
FollowupID: 901548

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 17:58

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 17:58
True Ross, a little knowledge can be expensive! I knew nothing about the diff locks, and the dealer knew only a little more than me.

Wires were severed flush with casing, and they only needed to renew part of the housing. Rest was labour, as I understand it, at least one axle has to be pulled to aid removal of the locking mechanism.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901549

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 18:10

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 18:10
Bob, hard to guard against all eventualities.
My rear air-locker tube enters at the top of the diff. Well up out of harm's way.
But that did not stop an errant flying rock taking it clean off.
Luckily, my you-beaut owner-operator mechanic spotted it before I needed it during a routine after-trek service.
Bit hard to rig a stone-guard so rationalised that it was a one-in-a-million chance.
We'll see, won't we? lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 901550

Sponsored Links