Gibb River Road

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 12, 2019 at 18:05
ThreadID: 139058 Views:5501 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of starting the Gibb, from Kununurra in the few days. Does anyone know what the current conditions are like?
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Friday, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:06

Friday, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:06
Try checking with the shire and see if they have graded it for the school holidays?

We did it last year after the school holidays, the contact person said she had driven it recently and it wasn't to bad and they would not be grading it till next season. This contradicted with other reports from those that had did the trip recently and were saying don't it as they had been trucking out campers and 4X4 broken by the bad conditions.

We were concerned but as we have a very robust setup decided to do it do it anyway, we found they had just graded it again when we arrived, it was like a highway:) so can be hit or miss unfortunately.

Road upto Mitchell falls was another story.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627677

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Friday, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:09

Friday, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:09
I noticed no one has responded yet, I can tell you back in May it was the best & the driest I had ever seen it. However it would have changed by now & conditions then will not be the conditions now but as always on the Gibb a reliable vehicle, Good tyres, tyre pressure & correct speed is the rule.
The only section I thought was bad for corrugations was from Kalumburu to honeymoon bay/beach
Have a good trip
AnswerID: 627678

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:54

Friday, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:54
This from an email I received this morning:

#GibbDate via the Kununurra Visitor Centre Facebook page is a must-visit. Each week the visitor centre releases information from Stations along the Gibb River Road about the condition of the track.

I don't do face book so can't tell you whether any good or not.

cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 627679

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Sep 13, 2019 at 12:35

Friday, Sep 13, 2019 at 12:35
Coincidentally, this turned up in my inbox today.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627687

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Saturday, Sep 14, 2019 at 08:58

Saturday, Sep 14, 2019 at 08:58
I travelled the Gibb way back 21 December 2004, a fantastic drive with great scenery , You will enjoy .
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 627696

Reply By: Member - Neil T6 - Saturday, Sep 14, 2019 at 10:31

Saturday, Sep 14, 2019 at 10:31
Don't know what the conditions are like but when I worked as a mechanic for the business that had 3 breakdown/recovery trucks in Kununurra in year 2000 the Gibb was regarded as our best earner, both for recovery and mechanical repairs. Most people did the trip with no hassels, as always weight and speed appear to be the determining factors.
AnswerID: 627697

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Sunday, Sep 15, 2019 at 15:21

Sunday, Sep 15, 2019 at 15:21
Yep - headed west to east on the Gibb in late July/Early August - very dry and Dusty - water crossings dry ... over-abundance of large caravans and trailers - it was "very" busy. Not much fun at all. As soon as the track is graded it falls apart again as there is no moisture to hold it. Eastern End was very rough and was claiming plenty of tyres and suspensions.
Not sure about now as it will be warmer and less traffic - but still dry.
I'd go back when there has been some rain and before the hoards....
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627708

Follow Up By: Member - Alan R (INT) - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 16:15

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 16:15
Just completed the journey. 888km from Kununara to Derby (including side trips). Very dry & dusty. All creeks dry. Not very busy, all campsites quiet. Our LC 200 & Billabong Broome Time 1 caravan survived intact but had to drive slowly for much of the time. No punctures. Most of the road was badly corrugated from El Questro to Mt Hart T/O. Gibb River area is very bad. Talked to a local farmer, he said it was the worst he has seen for 40 years! Normally the grader comes through 5 times per year, this year it has been only once. Mt Hart road is good. Mt Hart to Derby is all ok. Windjana road is bad. Big road works from Windjana for 10km west, looks like they may be going to seal it. This was the only maintenance activity we saw on the whole road.
FollowupID: 902047

Sponsored Links