ARB 47L vs Evakool Travelmate 50L

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 06:28
ThreadID: 139085 Views:4697 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am need for a new 47L fridge in the back of my prado and have narrowed it down to the ARB or Evakool, what are your thoughts?

The Evakool keeps jumping out at me for the lower cost and so similar to the ARB

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two?

Thanks heaps
Brent
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 06:56

Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 06:56
".....anyone know what the difference is between the two? "

Yes, only the price!

Evakool is a fine fridge.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627775

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 06:59

Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 06:59
G'day Brent,
Bit like the Ford/Holden thing so you will get plenty of opinions.
I have been an Engel fan for 35 years & have never had any issues at all.
However 1 year ago I swapped to the Evacool. Reason was we bought a Slide on camper & the Engel was just a bit noisy running underneath our bed area.
The Evacool is quieter & uses marginally less overall power than our Engel. Can certainly vouch for the Engel long tem reliability as ours ran 24/7 for a 2 year trip around Australia! Time will tell how the Evacool goes long term.
As for the ARB fridge cant help there but pretty happy with all my other ARB gear that I have used for 40 odd years.
Cheers Stu

AnswerID: 627776

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 08:26

Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 08:26
I have a white fibreglass EvaKool chest style fridge freezer in my AOR Quantum & would have trouble recommending them. It is a fridge freezer model that appears to be poorly insulated as it gets a lot of condensation on the outside at the freezer end, it also doesn’t maintain even low temperatures in the fridge section. If I could find another fridge that would fit I would get rid of it.
AnswerID: 627777

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 15:26

Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 15:26
Poorly insulated it would not heat up like a metal case fridge which needs extra money spent for an insulation bag bit of a flaw with that idea white fibreglass helps reflect the heat so no bag required. Last weekend my RF47 fridge had been off for a few days in my alloy canopy lid closed 33 deg inside the fridge and 42.2 deg inside the vehicle cab so it's insulation is woking. In general it works well when running even in an alloy canopy where it's been for about 5yrs or so. The only real issue I find is the cooling element is at one end so it doesn't have an even temp range like the fridges with a full wrap around element inside but still ok had it for 15yrs.

I think condensation might appear on any fridge in the right conditions had it a few times when in the back of a wagon haven't noticed it in the canopy it might evapourate because of the heat condensation use to form a lot on a 3 way fridge I use to own.
FollowupID: 901981

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 15:26

Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 15:26
We have the older model EvaKool with the blue divider that separates the freezer from the fridge. We find if we lift the blue divider by a few centimetres, by putting a sponge or something similar under the divider, it helps keep the fridge section colder. Just have to be a bit careful what you place against the divider as it can freeze it eg milk or cans.
FollowupID: 901982

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 15:50

Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 15:50
Because mine doesn't have digital controls I have the Evakool temp monitor in cab so I don't freeze things. I also recently started using a 6mm thick sheet of foam next to the original divider it helps keep the fridge temp under control because I have the freezer running colder than usual
FollowupID: 901983

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 14:50

Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 14:50
Can't help with that fridge but also check Evakool factory seconds on their site you might save a few bucks. I would also check whatever fridge you buy has a full wrap around cooling element inside for an even cooling temp through out the fridge.

Also check the warranty offered the longer the better and the more confidence the manufacturer has in the quality of their product.
AnswerID: 627779

Reply By: Keith B2 - Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 17:02

Saturday, Sep 21, 2019 at 17:02
One plus for Evakool is that they honour their warranties and have service agents all over the place.
Keith
AnswerID: 627781

Reply By: Gusthebus - Sunday, Sep 22, 2019 at 14:39

Sunday, Sep 22, 2019 at 14:39
Not sure of details of evakool. Our 47 l arb is about 10 years old and runs 24/7 as the beer fridge at -4 °. When camping it's the freezer. No probs. Drain at bottom is handy as is removable lid. Current draw is fine. Recently back from 6 months camping and it never missed a beat.
AnswerID: 627785

Sponsored Links