Cost of Jeep parts

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 22, 2019 at 21:22
ThreadID: 139089 Views:7379 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I noticed this article on the cost of repairing a Jeep Grand Cherokee, seems a motor is $40k

>The father-of-two couldn’t believe what he was reading when he received a quote from the dealership for just over $47,500, which included the estimated labour needed. The parts alone would cost nearly $40,000.>

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/stay-right-away-family-claims-50000-jeep-grand-cherokee-turned-to-dust/news-story/3628effa5aa56404bef536e9e115d994
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 00:30

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 00:30
One has to keep in mind, when purchasing vehicles from American parent companies, that these companies consider the Australian market "small fry" in their overall sales levels.

In most cases, the sale levels of their vehicles into the Australian market is less than 1% of their production.

These companies are not going to give a rats rectum about a few thousand complaining Australian owners - who live on the other side of the world, anyway - and who would make little difference to the parent companys profits, even if they did stop buying their products completely.

On top of that, American-company-sourced vehicles and parts always carry hefty hidden taxes, high transport and storage costs, and parts availability issues.

Add in build quality that is more often, very average, rather than "export quality" - as it used to be, a number of decades ago - and you are far better advised to purchase a Japanese-company-sourced vehicle, which generally has better build quality, and better parts availability, and lower cost parts.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 627790

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 07:28

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 07:28
You could buy another one and strip it for parts for around $15K. It sounds like it was a diesel and I reckon no matter the brand, getting a rebuild on a crd from a dealer is going to hurt badly. I think a new vw 3 litre v6 diesel is up near $75K going on a warranty replacement I saw a while back. I can't recall the numbers but remember being shocked at a Toyota LC200 v8 diesel replacement cost on a friends car thankfully still under warranty. It was a big number.

I wonder about these big yank trucks too. A RAM is a Chrysler who also build Jeeps.
AnswerID: 627792

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 08:42

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 08:42
It matters not 1 iota the 'brand' of vehicle be it a Jeep or a Tojo or a Holden or any other , the 'parts' supply chain costing are ridiculous , back in the late 60s -early 70s the NRMA did a project to build a Holden Kingswood through the 'Spare Parts' counter of a major Holden dealership , at the time you could buy a brand spanking new Kingswood for round the $3,000 mark off the showroom floor , to build the same vehicle through the 'spare parts counter' the figure was just shy of $90,000.oo ..........
AnswerID: 627793

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:32

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:32
Yes - I remember that Alloy c/t - certainly some easy money to be made for some !

A friend of mine was a Chrysler 300 owner for a few years - loved the car but 6 months after warranty they had a problem with a computer module of some sort. The dealer quoted them $3200 for the module plus labour and said it would take a month to get the part. Not happy with that they went to a local mechanic who was recommended to them - he gave them a website address where they bought the module direct from the States and delivered to their front door in under two weeks for $820 including all fees. How do some of these dealers sleep at night ??

Back in the 70's I was rebuilding a BSA A65 motor and needed the eight 12 point cylinder base nuts. Went to the local British bike dealer who wanted $6 each for them but only had 3. Luckily I knew one of the salesmen from a previous store and he heard what I was after and came over and whispered quietly to go next door to the pushbike section and ask for the rear axle nut off some Peugeot xyz pushbike as they are the exact same nut - I got all 8 nuts for $1.20 !!

Cheers

Gazz

FollowupID: 901992

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 08:44

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 08:44
After reading the article and the Jeep invoice, I would like to know how metal made it through the fuel filter?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627795

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:36

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:36
I haven't read the article, but if a CRD engine, there doesn't have to be a filter issue at all to have metal in the fuel system. If moisture, ie, absorbed microscopic water is present in the fuel system, some will find it's way to the high pressure pump and cause failure of the surface of the pump internals. Then there is metal particles being pumped and also fed to injectors through the common rail fuel delivery. Probably a good reason to have a moisture limiting/collecting pre fuel filter added before the original to at least attempt to catch water and limit such events.
FollowupID: 901993

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:51

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:51
RMD, agree about the pre fuel filter, cheap insurance. The article lists the process to find the fault, I can't copy and paste, but it says "found metal in filters. Removed MPROP (Cascade Valve)-Covered in metal - Entire fuel system failed." To me that sounds like metal got through the filter, but also worrying that the description is "entire fuel system failure", what does that mean? The fuel lines disintegrated, injector pump u/s, injectors u/s and return line disintegrated also???????
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 901995

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 14:39

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 14:39
John
As I see it, if the fuel to the HP pump is contaminated, ie, watery, the eccentric drive and piston of the HP pump is running in that fuel. If it decides to shed it's hardened surface for whatever reason, the COV/Cascade valve reliefs the excess flow as normal and returns the fuel and metal particles to the tank. Seeing the articles are small, they will then be drawn into and onto the filter surfaces. However, the damage is being done within the system. The fuel is also being supplied as HP pump pressure to the injectors and so the whole system gets a dose of crap. Just having good filters does not ensure the HP pump or injectors will not get metallic particles from within itself, ie, HP pump degrading. The failure shouldn't stuff the engine though.
FollowupID: 902005

Reply By: Jarse - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 08:59

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 08:59
I had the misfortune of owning a current-style GC. While it did everything more capably and comfortably than previous Jap stuff I’ve owned, events during the time I owned it forced me to sell it prior to its warranty running out.

I didn’t have confidence that my ongoing ownership would be trouble free.

Since this is a parts price thread, I won’t go on any further about the well-known issues...

I was out in the Flinders Ranges (doing Skytrek). I’d crawled (super carefully) over some rocks, and on the way back there was a knock in the left front suspension strut. When I got back to Sydney the local dealer doubted that Jeep would cover warranty, as the list price for the strut (air suspension) was in excess of $3000.00

I had 2 problems with this: 1. It was clearly a warranty issue (they acknowledged it), and 2. A claim can’t be denied based perceived on parts cost. Jeep were trying to scare me.

The fact of the matter is that Jeep will send the part back to its manufacturer and be compensated ($3k means nothing as it’s a part swap). The only loser is the servicing dealer, as they only get a time allowance at a reduced labour rate to replace the part.

What really pissed me off is that while the dealer made his best effort to get this resolved in a timely manner, Jeep pushed back the whole time. A manufacturer worth its salt would either have a part in stock, or airfreight it out in an effort to get the vehicle back on the road ASAP (I know of manufacturers that do this).

Instead, they put it on a boat with a regular parts order, which took a couple of MONTHS. Every day that I drove the car with he knocking suspension made me dislike Jeep a little more.

I sold it soon after it was repaired. I’d had enough.

So, my experience tells me that if you need to buy a non-stocked part, you may need to wait a couple of months to get it. Or buy direct from the US, and potentially save time AND money.
AnswerID: 627797

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:42

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:42
My neighbour had a new one, RED it was, the dealer almost drove it more km's while testing it after each repair event, (many of those), than the owner ever got to drive it. Same story, sold ASAP while still under warranty.
FollowupID: 901994

Reply By: Kazza055 - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:42

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:42
Makes me glad I brought an under stressed D-Max.
AnswerID: 627799

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 13:49

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 13:49
Be careful as murphy is watching so you may be tempting fate.

Had a Cat C15 launch with 2 hours on the engine.
FollowupID: 902004

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 13:53

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 13:53
For me, it sounds like the dealer doesn't want the job.

You can get a brand new long motor for a 3.2l px ranger for $7000 + freight.
AnswerID: 627803

Reply By: Dusta - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 13:56

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 13:56
blah blah , the usual 6 month jeep bashing story surfaces . Any manufacturer nowadays suffers the same as all cars are riddled with electronics and fancy stuff that consumers want and demand . Ford , Toyota , Jeep , Landrover , VW all have lemons .

For some reason people love to shit on jeeps, I have just over 170K on my current model grand cherokee and has been faultless, I'm even on my original brake pads at 170,000km . 184kw/570nm out of the factory. none of this overboost crap .. Serviced every 10K . Driven hard offroad and plenty of dents and dings in the underbody protection . Hasn't missed a beat .

Mate with a ranger has had it in the dealership more times than mine has been serviced . Make of it what you will .

There is more to this story than is being told . The car in question is a first gen wk2 and there were TSB's to fix those issues .
AnswerID: 627804

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 19:06

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 19:06
Dusta
With luck like that you must have won a 1/3 share in the Lotto 150 million at the weekend.
FollowupID: 902012

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 09:58

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 09:58
As our accountant's husband was leaving the house after delivering some papers, I asked him how the Grand Cherokee was going.

He replied 130KK and no problems at all. He thought of trading up but said seeing it was so good he was keeping it.
So it does happen.
AnswerID: 627848

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 11:46

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 11:46
Any company can have bad things happen to their cars, it's how they deal with it that separates the sheep from the goats. FCA have an abysmal record of dealing with customer complaints and grievances. They are down at the bottom alongside VW in the customer relationship handling area. I think that both Jeep and VW make great cars, I love driving them and the styling is better than anything Japanese. Their downfall is that things do go wrong, and they completely burn their customers in the process. Sales of Jeeps have dropped from up around 30K a year in 2014 to under 7K now and dropping, all due to bad publicity. We've had news articles like this plus Youtube videos of people destroying their Jeeps due to frustration with the company.
John Cadogan makes the point in a Youtube released today that they would still be a viable company if they handled customer complaints in the proper manner, even though the cars are less reliable than other brands. The cars are excellent when they are working, but you simply can't burn your customers when they have a car that isn't working anymore.
AnswerID: 627851

Reply By: Sienna L - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 15:24

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 15:24
Jeep maintenance requires an average of $211 starting from $80 to around $9000, but it also depends on the jeep model.
AnswerID: 627854

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 09:47

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 09:47
Just to be fair , I hear that Jeep now will fix the Grand Cherokee.

Also IMHO their loss of sales from 2014 to now largely relates to the USD AUD relationship which AFAIR was about USD1.10 to AUD 1..
In 2014 Jeeps were cheap as chips and offered outstanding value. AFAIR a Wrangler unlimited cost 39K.
I drove a petrol Wrangler a bit back then and with the new engine it was quite a good thing though pretty useless for touring and had little torque at low revs.
AnswerID: 627868

Sponsored Links