Range Rover Sport for the Lap of the Map

Submitted: Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 16:32
ThreadID: 139094 Views:5050 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all. While im new to forums and blogs etc I am not new to offroading and have landed myself with a Range Rover Sport 2007. My brother has opted for a Landcruiser but I wont get much for the sport as a trade so seriously considering getting it right for a 6 month trip towing a Hybrid offroad 12 foot van.
Ive got Dave Dover doing some stuff mechanically, but although the coopers on 20 inch rims are ok in sand, I think it worthwhile looking at 18 inch tyres and rims. Dave tells me that Disco 3 will fit right on but I need the forums wider advice and input if thats OK to ask. Also I would like a snorkel and some sort of bullbar or similar for additional lights. Once again No bloody idea?
Then there's the suspension and hopefully some advice on what to check, upgrade or change out .
Fuel Filtration is another matter and ideas are sought there.
This is my first ever blog or thread and I feel I may have overstepped my questioning. Bear with me.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stevemac - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 18:04

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 18:04
I’m sure you will receive some useful advice pb, but even better would be the Australian Landrover forum. All dedicated owners and some first hand knowledge you won’t find elsewhere.

AnswerID: 627810

Reply By: Outbackogre - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 20:37

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 20:37
Just a comment about 20 or 19 inch rims. A friend of mine took a RR Sport with 19's over the Simpson Desert a year ago (fitted with low profile AT tyres). After dropping pressures to get over the dunes, he later found that the tyre sidewalls had been damaged by being hammered by the rims. Three tyres were later destroyed on the rocky roads from Innaminka to Tibooburra. I'd recommend you fit 18 inch wheels, but you'll need to check they will fit over your front brake calipers (my friend had big Brembo calipers and 18's did not fit).
AnswerID: 627813

Follow Up By: David I1 - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 16:37

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 16:37
I have a 2016 D4 which in many respects is a poor mans RR sport. I am unsure of your brakes, but there are options. Tuffant are steel wheels (cheaper) and Compomotive (dearer). Both are 18" and will fit over the bigger brakes. There are kit available for the air suspension, however my opinion is that it really is not needed. Snorkel I am unsure but most people fit Safari or Airflow on the D4s. Again unless you are looking at water crossings, I think you really dont need one. On the AULRO web site is a list of part you could consider taking. I would be taking spare filters, and the correct oil incase you need an oil change. LR is very specific on oil to put in their cars and it may be hard to source in the outback.
FollowupID: 902048

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 17:28

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 17:28
Make sure you take along a spare new brake master cylinder, because these are a notorious problem on the RRS (and a few other Landrovers).

There was a major recall on the brake master cylinder, has this been done on your vehicle?
Even after the recall, many RR owners are still reporting brake problems.

A mate with a 2007 RRS (2.7 TD) had his master cylinder reconditioned after experiencing constant brake problems (leaking fluid, sinking pedal, hard pedal) - but the brake reconditioning crowd couldn't buy one of the new internal valves required, so they installed the old one!

He went from Perth to Melbourne towing his 'van and the brakes failed again in Melbourne. He cut short his holiday and came home. In his words, "he's lost confidence in driving it".

Range Rover Sport and Disco 3 brake recall

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 627833

Follow Up By: piperbravo - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 18:10

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 18:10
Many thanks to all who have taken time to respond. Great information. I will check with AULRO in the meantime, The only issue ive had with this vehicle has been the redback system and extra battery which was in the car when I purchased it. I have no end of issues with computer based shut downs. Once removed, it has been excellent. While I will heed advice on brake master cylinder, it hasn't been an issue and in fact the car has been a great long distance traveler and also good in sand, good brakes and economy is brilliant
It is a shame that they haven't designed and made RRS options for outback as there are so many on the roads and no doubt outback in the future.
It's going in for some LR work and a service this Thursday and I'll ask Dave his take on all of this.
It doesnt take much to loose confidence in a vehicle especially with such big distances here in Oz but a shame to revert to Toyota as the fall back. I'll give it a crack and stay in touch with this forum. Oh Yeh! please keep the information incoming. Your wider experience is ultra valuable.
Pete
FollowupID: 902050

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 18:17

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 18:17
Ron as usual your googling comes up with information or more like your interpretation of it that is not quite right.

There is no issue with the master cylinder - it was oil getting into the brake booster - has nothing to do with the master cylinder so taking a spare master cylinder is no help .

This recall was done just on 10 years ago - i am sure 10 years later, cars are fine - also applied to the D3 and there are tens of thousands of these on the road.

Brakes are fine despite your sensationalist crap.
FollowupID: 902051

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 18:35

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 18:35
Piperbravo, the site below gives an excellent rundown on "known problems" with the RRS built from 2005 to 2013.

Hopefully, previous owners, and the passage of time, will have seen any known problems addressed and corrected.

Australian Car Reviews - Range Rover Sport known issues

But as with all hi-tech vehicles with complex systems - in the electrics and in the suspension and brakes - age is not something that is going assist with reliability.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 902052

Follow Up By: Graeme - Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 12:27

Saturday, Sep 28, 2019 at 12:27
For a dual battery setup the only thing to use is a Traxide system sold by Drivesafe on AULRO. DC-DC units are ineffective on these vehicles as they are very sensitive to voltages and spikes and low or failing batteries.
FollowupID: 902134

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 18:33

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 18:33
You have not said what engine you have - if a diesel you can get 17" rims from a D3 or even a BMW X5. If you have a Supercharged V8 then I think you are stuck with OEM sizes but if a TDV8 then the mentioned aftermarket Tuffant/Commotive Rims should be OK.

There is no aftermarket snorkel but the OEM RAI can be sealed to make it a snorkel. The D3 bar can fit but it is not legal to have it fitted as the OL and ARB are not complianced for the RRS.

Suspension get a LLAMs height controller as it allows you to drive at offroad height faster than 50kph. Also purchase or make an Emergency Inflation Kit (check AULRO) as you can then raise the suspension to a reasonable height if there are issues (caused by lack of maintenance).

Standard fuel filtration is good enough but all systems will still let water through. the car has a water trap and alarm but I would also advise fitting a Water Watch water trap and alarm system.

Get a good set of AT tyres - about 265 wide in what ever size wheel you end up with.

The fuel tank size is OK for normal use - gives similar range to a V8 Landcruiser as the Cruiser uses a lot more fuel - however like all vehicles heading outback and additional tank is helpful and a D3 auxiliary will fit - but then you will need to work out where to put your spare.

Roof racks are available - if your towing get a D4 tow bar or install a Mitchell Bros Hitch.

Otherwise the vehicle is just as capable as any other for outback trips.
AnswerID: 627836

Follow Up By: piperbravo - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 17:14

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 17:14
OzzieCruiser. That was a much appreciated run down on pretty much all I need. Mine is the 2.7 v6 diesel. It’s got around 165000 kms on it and most are country kms. It goes in for the timing belt and tensioner tomorrow. It’s on its second set of Cooper tyres on the standard 20 inch rims.
While I’m not set to be a regular writer on this forum, I will log this and other treks and pop something into conversations where it might help
In the meantime, it looks more and more likely that I will set the RRS up for this long haul, and it will definitely be going through some testing terrain in parts.
I’ll keep you all up to speed on what, how, costs and progress.
FollowupID: 902069

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 18:45

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 18:45
If it is going in for its timing belt etc tomorrow I assume it was not done when it should have been done in 2014.

If that is the case you will need a new oil pump - buy from a Ford dealer for about $180 vs $450 from Landrover - a new oil pump is a must change for your version and is done at the first timing belt service. This service also includes the belt at the rear of the engine - this is not a timed belt but runs the injection fuel pump. It is done at the same time as the front timing belt.

Also at this service you should replace the coolant Y pipe in the valley of the engine - not an issue to do with the timing gear out.

This is a link on ebay.

Also in line with the discussion on a recent thread about ZF gearboxes - before you take off on your trip you will need a mega flush on the gearbox and if not already done change the gearbox sump to a metal one with a removable transmission fluid filter. Only ever use Life Guard 6 in the gearbox.
FollowupID: 902071

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 20:10

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 20:10
Don't you have to lift the body off to do a timing belt on a RRS?
FollowupID: 902072

Follow Up By: piperbravo - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 15:46

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 15:46
This is merely a recap on where this project sits at present, and thanks for the tips and knowledge thus far.
Timing Belt , Tensioner and Oil Pump all changed out, Brakes (Rotor discs and Pads) replaced, Replace Control Arms (Again) and Coolant Y Pipe changed out. Service, Oils and Filters. Dave Dover is doing all of this work as I write. He has considerable experience and is quite straight up on what needs doing.

I'll pick it up tomorrow and no doubt sell a few guitars to pay for all of this.

Now that I've commenced this journey into due diligence and maintenance I will no doubt continue and start to look about the place for completing the project with wheels, tyres, tow hitch replacement, Fuel Water Watch System, Swing away Tyre Carrier, Compressor protection, LLAMS suspension system, and a D3 Long Range Fuel Tank, Oh Yeh! I'll also need some sort of nudge bar for a lighting mount i'm guessing. Snorkel may follow??
FollowupID: 902107

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 18:20

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 18:20
Make sure your mechanic replaces the rear belt on the engine.

Also be aware that as standard your vehicle would have come with 18x8 wheels but may have been optioned to the 20" or replaced at later stage.

Like with all vehicles the list of preferred accessories can be large and you have a big list - so get what is absolutely necessary rather than what is nice.

Make sure you go over to AULRO.
FollowupID: 902111

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 19:25

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 19:25
From my experience and what I have seen, the most common point of failure will be tyres if you do many of the outback dirt roads. This is especially so with a lot of Land Rovers because of the large rim size and lower profile tyres. I love Land Rovers but would be sourcing lower diameter rims at the expense of all the other modifications you mentioned combined. I would also get a roof rack and carry an extra spare tyre carcass on the roof to save weight. Outback servos are unlikely to have RR size tyres in stock but will be able to repair damaged ones and swap your second spare onto a rim if required. Personally, I've only ever needed a second spare when I've left it at home. :-)
AnswerID: 627839

Follow Up By: piperbravo - Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 19:05

Thursday, Sep 26, 2019 at 19:05
Recap on last recap. Rear Belt and belt cam is being replaced as is coolant Y pipe (which showed a small crack and a leak). And I don't doubt there are additions to the list which I will divulge tomorrow.
Not a complaint as such, and quite sobering, but it wasn't that long back that this repair bill represented the total cost of any of my vehicles which comprised Series 1, series 2A, series 3 X 2, VW Kombi, Troop Carriers X 2 and a number of motorbikes. Gotta Laugh!!
Now. I really don't know the answer to this. I get onto AULRO where I am a member now, and people posting are discussing pictures. None of which I ever see on the threads. How do I get to see these pics?
FollowupID: 902113

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Friday, Sep 27, 2019 at 15:26

Friday, Sep 27, 2019 at 15:26
Unfortunately when vehicles (any brand) are not maintained and serviced when specified, catchup costs big time.

As I mentioned your timing belt service was due back in 2014 not in 2019, same as the some of the other items you had done.

But they are done now so get out and use your vehicle.
FollowupID: 902124

Sponsored Links