Fridge help

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 09:58
ThreadID: 139098 Views:4399 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
I have a 150 prado and a family 4 with 2 boys so am looking for a new 50l fridge
I am looking at the Evakool Travelmate 50L and the Waco CFX 50L.

What are you thoughts on both?

I am leaning towards the Evakool as I am thinking I would like the lid to open front the ends vs the side on the Waco.

What are you thoughts on end opening vs side opening for in a prado?

Please help me decide

Cheers
Brent

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:50

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:50
Look at these comments. Like all products some like it and some don't.

Evakool

bill

Waeco

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627825

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 12:46

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 12:46
Fwiw, I have had a Waeco 50L for about 8 years in both a LC/Tvan combo and a F250. Faultless over that time.

Big thing with Waecos is ensuring that you maintain a good voltage and current. Therefore proper wiring and connections essential. Not the mickey mouse stuff often found with cig M/F plugs and thin wiring.

Now to your question. How do you intend to mount it? With a slider? In which case it will presumably be oriented N/S and side vs end access/opening is OK either way.

If mounted with tie downs, then can be N/S or E/W. To ensure max utilisation of space and if it will fit, you may find N/S is better with an end opening unit. NB - check that you can maintain good ventilation around the compressor vents.
AnswerID: 627828

Reply By: Macquarie - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 08:45

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 08:45
You don't mention if you intending to fit a slide out or are towing with the Prado and if so whether you can fully open the rear door with a trailer/caravan attached. ( A common Prado/Pajero problem).

The slide out restricts the usage of the cargo compartment when the fridge is not in place but is a great boon for easy fridge access when travelling. In this case I recommend the N/S alignment
AnswerID: 627844

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:35

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:35
Hi Brent,

You don't mention wether you have a Cargo Barrier fitted or not. If you do not have a Cargo Barrier fitted, then having a "side" opening fridge means that you can more easily access the fridge from the passenger cabin, without having to open the rear door, regardless of wether you mount it on a slide or not.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627852

Sponsored Links